Chic Night Straw Poll

cruise101

Given the relatively recent introduction of chic nights on X, I thought it'd be interesting to conduct a straw poll amongst those who have recently sailed (i.e. after the introduction of chic nights) and those who are planning to sail within the next 6 months.

If you have recently sailed, what percentage of men do you think wore formal (tux or dark suit) on chic nights. If you are planning on sailing within the next 6 months, are you planning on packing a tux/dark suit.

Your observations/intentions will help me with my packing decision.

Thanks.

I sail on the Solstice out of Sydney, next month. I've decided not to pack my suit this time (as its easier when flying home from Singapore). Will be interesting to see the ratio of tux/suits compared to 'other chic'.... Hopefully I don't stick out too much!

Sailing in October and will not be taking a suit or sport coat, I love casual attire I live in Florida and I believe in shorts and a golf shirt is more than dressy enough for a cruise. NCL allows shorts in dining rooms and all but1 speciality restaurant. My vote is no dress up, dress like you would to go yo dinner at a restaurant, if you want to go all out its your choice not msny on last cruise a few months ago were wearing a tux some coats but not msny ties.

Soooooo many variables

European, Alaskan, New England, Caribbean, South America, Asia, Australia/New Zealand, Bermuda

Early Seating, Late Seating, Select

blu, Luminae, MDR, specialties

Holiday cruises (New Years Eve, Valentine's Day)

Just take that last as an example, lots of people really dress up for Holiday sailings.....

Sailed March 2016, eastern Caribbean. About 25% of the men were dressed in suits. We saw a few gentlemen in tuxes. Husband was thrilled to leave the suit at home. He wore long sleeved dress shirts and slacks on chic nights. Will not be bringing a suit or blazer for March 2017 western Caribbean cruise.

Women wore cocktail dresses, black slacks with sparkly tops, maxi dresses. As with the tuxes, there were a few full length dresses. Most of the passengers were very well dressed, without being formal.

Edited by Marelaine
grammar

Right after I bought a new tux, shirts and shoes, Celebrity announced the end of formal nights. My formal attire was used on one cruise but has stayed at home for the last six cruises. I just wish celebrity had made the announcement before I purchased the wrong cruise garb.

Personally I'm a fan of formal attire. I prefer a modern suit over a tux or traditional suit, but it still fits the formal evenings perfectly.

And for what it's worth, I opt for dress pants and a shirt (no tie), or maybe a nice golf shirt if it's a really warm night.

I totally understand those that opt for less formal attire, but as I don't have many opportunities to wear my suit, I take full advantage while at sea.

Jay

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by jryan110

We will be sailing to the Caribbean this November. In the past, Caribbean sailings have been more casual than other (European, Hawaiian) cruises. My husband is not bringing his tux but he will bring a navy sports coat and dress pants, along with dress shirts and tie. My brother will bring the same type of clothes. I will wear a long dress one night and a cocktail dress the other night.

We did 2 cruises shortly after the change to EC. I would say that 15% were in formal attire and those that I spoke to had no idea the dress code had changed.

Most were not happy to find they had brought long gowns or rented a tux when most men were in Blazers if that and ladies in black pants & top.

Cruising the Caribbean in December. Won't be anything resembling a suit in my suitcases. I MIGHT bring a pair of gray pants and a pair of jeans.

I hope that's not for a 14 day trip, like on the Eclipse! Two pairs of pants for 14 days I'd think might get a bit "funky".

Given the relatively recent introduction of chic nights on X, I thought it'd be interesting to conduct a straw poll amongst those who have recently sailed (i.e. after the introduction of chic nights) and those who are planning to sail within the next 6 months.

If you have recently sailed, what percentage of men do you think wore formal (tux or dark suit) on chic nights. If you are planning on sailing within the next 6 months, are you planning on packing a tux/dark suit.

Your observations/intentions will help me with my packing decision.

Thanks.

We only wear our tuxes when doing Cunard. For Celebrity we'll still wear our suits & then sport coats for smart casual. As they say: "Clothes maketh the man"(with apologies to "Kingsman")

I hope that's not for a 14 day trip, like on the Eclipse! Two pairs of pants for 14 days I'd think might get a bit "funky".

7 nights. I'm not packing 2 outfits for every day so I can wear shorts off the boat and pants in the dining room. If the anti shorts in the dining room crowd are offended by my funky pants, that's their tough luck. I'll wear the same pants to the dining room multiple times.

On Infinity around the horn January 2016. Can say that fewer than 10% were in formal or suits. I appreciated their efforts. DH doesn't like to dress up, but I do. He wore a long sleeved dress shirt, slacks and loafers. I dress up a little more. Our bags for that trip barely made maximum 50lb. To the OP: you have no need to dress up to any greater degree than you desire, so don't worry. We were pretty happy on this cruise with the standards required and maintained.

On our Reflection cruise in August, fewer than 10% wore tuxes and I would say that 25% wore suits. Another 25% wore jackets and dress shirt. They were stopping people at the door who were dressed in shorts, not just Chic night but every night (except maybe the first night).

I sail on the Solstice out of Sydney, next month. I've decided not to pack my suit this time (as its easier when flying home from Singapore). Will be interesting to see the ratio of tux/suits compared to 'other chic'.... Hopefully I don't stick out too much!

Will be on the same cruise and have done 3 cruises since "Chic" was introduced. If one wore jock strap and jandals one wouldn't stick out, sorry wearing jandals one might. There will be those who are dressed to kill in tiaras, full tuxes etc and there will be those in slacks and shirt and no one will bat an eyelid what one is wearing. The dress code only applies to to the MDR anyway. The rest of the ship is smart casual. I have yet to find someone who can define "smart chic" and that's probably why the term was chosen.

I will have my jandals with me but will leave the jockstrap at home.

Edited by Beanb41

We did our first X cruise last December, right after they made the change to "evening chic". My hubby was beyond pleased.

After years of wearing suits with ties, etc for years, for work, he was less than delighted to have to bring and wear a suit on previous cruises.

Last December, he did wear dress shirts and ties with nice slacks. Although, after seeing the way others were dressed and being of the mindset that this is his vacation, he has opted now to bring and wear slacks and Tommy Bahama shirts. I wear a cocktail dress or black slacks and a pretty top.

As for others...I speculate that there were fewer than 10% in Tuxes and gowns.

While we would never think to go to the main dining room in shorts or very casual clothing, we also both feel that it is our vacation, we are paying for it, and as such, we choose to be comfortable, and at ease. We also don't feel like having to pack very dressy clothes, given the airlines restrictions on luggage.

Finally, I feel that anybody whinging about how others are dressed, needs to mind their own business and remember that they can only control themselves!

We only wear our tuxes when doing Cunard. For Celebrity we'll still wear our suits & then sport coats for smart casual. As they say: "Clothes maketh the man"(with apologies to "Kingsman")

I've also heard it said to "wake up and smell the coffee". As long as you dress neatly with some reasonable standard of dress it is now perfectly acceptable not to wear tuxes, suits or jackets for us men. If the established fashion police have a problem with that they will have to adjust and stop judging people by what they wear as long it is neat and presentable using common sense. Makes packing so much easier.

I did wear a navy blazer on formal night because DW wanted a picture taken.

However for our NCL friend TG shorts are not allowed in any of the public dining area except the Oceanview Cafe in the evening.

Muscle shirts and baseball caps also don't belong as they don't meet anyone's minimum standard. Again Oceanview Cafe stuff.

Enjoy your cruise.