Muster Drills

Rascal6196

Since the Baltic cruises for Princess have multiple embarkation ports (Copenhagen, Berlin, SPB) are there multiple muster drills? If so, do you have to attend all of them?

We were on the Epic a few summers ago on a Western Mediterranean cruise that had three different embarkation ports. We were only required to attend the one on our embarkation day. I would imagine the law would require the same for those who boarded at the other ports.

I would imagine that the Princess Baltic cruise with multiple embarkation ports would have to follow the same policy. It's the only one that makes any sense.

I guess it's different for Princess. On our Panama Canal cruise (HAL) there were 2 embarkation ports, and there was a muster drill on both of the embarkation days for everyone.

Many HAL guests benefit from the refresher course ;)

Many HAL guests benefit from the refresher course ;)
Excuse me but I disagree. Anyone and everyone can benefit from a "refresher." I've seen too many Princess cruisers talk throughout Muster. There's no way they could have heard a word. Believe me, when those seven long/three short blasts go off for real, you need every refresher you can get regardless of age.

I've taken HAL cruises that were sold as both one long cruise and two shorter cruises and was required to attend both.

Edited by Pam in CA

Excuse me but I disagree. Anyone and everyone can benefit from a "refresher." I've seen too many Princess cruisers talk throughout Muster. There's no way they could have heard a word. Believe me, when those seven long/three short blasts go off for real, you need every refresher you can get regardless of age.

I've taken HAL cruises that were sold as both one long cruise and two shorter cruises and was required to attend both.

Er, Pam, it's seven short, one long ....

Our Panama Canal cruise boards in Vancouver, San Francisco, and Los Angeles. Hopefully the Vancouver folks won't have to do muster drill 3 times! We're boarding in SF and wouldn't want to have to do it over in LA. Of course it's always interesting to look around and see the people who ignore the instructions and are putting their life jackets on before they are supposed to. The "whistle blowers" are also interesting at muster drill. I can't imagine putting that whistle in my mouth unless I was in the sea and needed to do so.

• 1 month later...

I'd like to jump in here. Not about the fact of attending the Muster, but the still having to bring the life jackets. Most cruise lines, except Princess no longer requires bringing them. Just show up.

One reason is the fact that going up/down the stairs, before/after, too many people were tripping over the straps which dangled because no one wants to take the time to tuck them in...

Princess, are you listening? Get with the program and prevent your passengers from tripping over the straps.

I feel better now that I've said this!

Have a good day everyone and safe sails to you!

I'd like to jump in here. Not about the fact of attending the Muster, but the still having to bring the life jackets. Most cruise lines, except Princess no longer requires bringing them. Just show up.

One reason is the fact that going up/down the stairs, before/after, too many people were tripping over the straps which dangled because no one wants to take the time to tuck them in...

Princess, are you listening? Get with the program and prevent your passengers from tripping over the straps.

I feel better now that I've said this!

Have a good day everyone and safe sails to you!

Lots of passengers that are experiencing this for the first time.

Think its a very good idea that they are required.

I would rather bring mine.

Who pays attention before a flight to the flight attendants demonstrating how to fasten a seat belt? This has got to be frustrating if you are in charge of Safety. I think everyone should still be required to wear their life vests, but I also know that if you've achieved Elite status in Captain's Circle then you are probably sick of it.

Last year on the Golden South America between Buenos Aires and LA we were required to attend the Muster drill in Valparaiso. That was the one and only time we have been required to do multiple drills on one cruise.

Lots of passengers that are experiencing this for the first time.

Think its a very good idea that they are required.

I would rather bring mine.

Who pays attention before a flight to the flight attendants demonstrating how to fasten a seat belt? This has got to be frustrating if you are in charge of Safety. I think everyone should still be required to wear their life vests, but I also know that if you've achieved Elite status in Captain's Circle then you are probably sick of it.

I've had to attend a fire and boat drill every week, 6 months a year, for 40 years (over 1000 drills), and I still consider it beneficial to practice donning a lifejacket each and every time. When I was with NCL, I would spend the passenger muster walking the deck and checking on how everyone was putting the lifejacket on, despite the instructions given, and how many people would put a jacket on in a way that would negate the "righting" effect of a Type I lifejacket (turn an unconscious person face up) and actually turn a conscious person face down.

Last year on the Golden South America between Buenos Aires and LA we were required to attend the Muster drill in Valparaiso. That was the one and only time we have been required to do multiple drills on one cruise.

If the two segments of your B2B added up to more that 30 days that was likely the reason why.

Edited by fishywood

I was on the Eurodam this summer, and there were three muster drills during my B2B (one segment was broken up into two) I was required to attend all three. I don't think as much of consequence is said during HAL's muster drill. But due to assembly at lifeboat stations and the "roll call" of cabins, it takes longer.

I will nod away politely whenever anyone says multiple muster drills are good reminders. That being said, I did feel it was unnecessary to go through three

Edited by Wehwalt

They could have a video with a person also doing the demo of how to put it on. They do it on planes! Do you think, heaven forbid anyone will remember exactly how to put on their life vest? I don't think so. Let's not ever find out.

Safe sails always!

They could have a video with a person also doing the demo of how to put it on. They do it on planes! Do you think, heaven forbid anyone will remember exactly how to put on their life vest? I don't think so. Let's not ever find out.

Safe sails always!

Then lets just have a video for the crew to learn how to load passengers into lifeboats and fight fires. Lets not take any personal responsibility for our own safety.

Safe sails always!

Not something to cut corners on.