Are maps for port stops provided by Princess ?

bidtrips

Going on an Alaska Cruise/Land Tour. I have found many good maps for port stops and stops on land tours. Is it necessary for me to print and bring along or will these be provided by Princess as we travel?

Yes, print off the maps and take them with you. On the ship at every port they will give you a simple map of the shopping areas (with diamond stores annotated!) that is good for that area only.

We've found the port maps from Princess to be mostly worthless.:rolleyes:

They are probably worth something for Diamond's International [emoji30]

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We've found the port maps from Princess to be mostly worthless.:rolleyes:

"Mostly worthless" is very optimistic! About the only thing they are good for is kindling in case you need to start a fire. :)

Besides the sponsored shopping areas, the one good piece of information on the Princess port maps is the contact information for the local Princess rep in case you miss the ship for any reason.

Take a copy and see how it suits your needs. For us, some ports don't need maps, and other ports are a handy reference if all you are doing is walking around.

Going on an Alaska Cruise/Land Tour. I have found many good maps for port stops and stops on land tours. Is it necessary for me to print and bring along or will these be provided by Princess as we travel?

No need to print. There are always great maps on the pier, usually provided by the visitors center.

Besides the useless port shopping guides, I've received another port information brochure with a better map, historical information & other useful information such as about currency.

Agree, the other map is the better of the two. :D

"Mostly worthless" is very optimistic! About the only thing they are good for is kindling in case you need to start a fire. :)

They probably do not even make good toilet paper although I have not yet tried them for that.

DON

Some visitors centers offer great info and maps. Which dh always carries. But, if you are like me and want to have info ahead of time, do your research online or find a book. I have been known to tear certain pages out of travel guides if really helpful and just carry the specific info to lighten the load.

Agree the cruise lines used to offer valuable info. Not anymore.

On our last cruise, I asked at the shore excursions desk about info on one of our Baltic ports. She reached behind the counter and gave me some brochures and maps similar to what you would get at a visitor center. It never hurts to ask! Those paper maps and info they leave in your mailbox are worthless.

I might take along the map that comes with that day's Patter, but it really isn't worth that much, if anything other to find out which shops to avoid.:D

Before every cruise I check out some guidebooks from the public library and take notes. If one has some really good maps, I'll try to buy the latest edition. Google maps is also very useful. I also google each port and find lots of info from the tourism sites.

For the cities that he covers, Tom's Port Guides are excellent and free -

http://www.tomsportguides.com/port-guides.html

DON

For the cities that he covers, Tom's Port Guides are excellent and free -

http://www.tomsportguides.com/port-guides.html

DON

Thanks for the reminder. I can't believe I didn't post that link but I totally spaced on it. After all, I do have it bookmarked. D'Oh! (Old people. You just can't count on them.)