What to do at our port of calls on a budget!

cdl324

We will be taking our honeymoon on our first cruise leaving out of San Juan in October! Our stops will be St. Kitts, St. Maarten, St. Thomas, St. Lucia and Barbados. I was wondering if anyone could recommend some activities or excursions to do on a budget? We don't mind renting a scooter or something like that and just exploring some and laying on a beach most of the day! Rental company recommendations and beach recommendations would be great! We are open to any and all suggestions. We can be adventurous and laid back! Thanks everyone!!!

Agree...some research on the ports boards will identify where you can just lay on the beach, or do the scooter rental, or other less costly activities. There is never a requirement to do excursions. Many islands can be visited for low or no cost.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Ok I will do that! Can anyone tell me the best of those islands to go snorkeling at if we decide to snorkel?

Have snorkeled at all but Barbados. None stand out as better than others. Depends where you will snorkel on St Thomas...I would look for something that goes to St John.

Be careful with the scooter rental - on some of the islands you drive on the left. This can be confusing and disorienting if you're used to right hand driving. The roads on many islands are narrow and winding, and you're sharing the road with tour buses, trucks, cars, SUVs, etc. It's not for the faint of heart! You would be better off getting a taxi and letting a local driver take you where you want to go.

Roz

We will be taking our honeymoon on our first cruise leaving out of San Juan in October! Our stops will be St. Kitts, St. Maarten, St. Thomas, St. Lucia and Barbados. I was wondering if anyone could recommend some activities or excursions to do on a budget? We don't mind renting a scooter or something like that and just exploring some and laying on a beach most of the day! Rental company recommendations and beach recommendations would be great! We are open to any and all suggestions. We can be adventurous and laid back! Thanks everyone!!!

For St. Maarten, if you are a beach lover, then I recommend either Orient Beach, which is supposed to be one of the ten best beaches in the world. However, understand that one side of the beach is clothing optional. Take one of the taxis from the port. Where you are dropped off, to the right is the clothing optional beach, to the left is clothed beach (though you may find that most of the men and some of the women are topless - this beach is on the French side of the island).

OrientBeach13_zpsa70636f0.jpg

Or, you can go to Maho Beach. Ever see a picture of a jet landing just a few feet above people's head? This is where those pictures are taken. Here is one I took ...

hStm9_zps3df5c395.jpg

In St. Thomas there are three good beaches to go to (I've been to two of them):

Magens Bay - if you want quite, this is the place to go. No motor boats are allowed. It is a protected bay, so there are no waves ...

D8-3.jpg

Coki Beach is next to Coral World ...

CorolWorldIMGP0144_zps7eba9b4a.jpg

Sapphire Beach - I haven't been to Sapphire Beach, so I don't have a photograph to show you. So instead I'll show you a picture from Paradise Point ...

StThomasHarbor-stretch4.jpg

Make sure you are back on the ship after an excursion in time to see the drunk people stagger back. As good as the comedy clubs as far as entertainment value goes.

For St. Maarten, if you are a beach lover, then I recommend either Orient Beach, which is supposed to be one of the ten best beaches in the world. However, understand that one side of the beach is clothing optional. Take one of the taxis from the port. Where you are dropped off, to the right is the clothing optional beach, to the left is clothed beach (though you may find that most of the men and some of the women are topless - this beach is on the French side of the island).

OrientBeach13_zpsa70636f0.jpg

Or, you can go to Maho Beach. Ever see a picture of a jet landing just a few feet above people's head? This is where those pictures are taken. Here is one I took ...

hStm9_zps3df5c395.jpg

In St. Thomas there are three good beaches to go to (I've been to two of them):

Magens Bay - if you want quite, this is the place to go. No motor boats are allowed. It is a protected bay, so there are no waves ...

D8-3.jpg

Coki Beach is next to Coral World ...

CorolWorldIMGP0144_zps7eba9b4a.jpg

Sapphire Beach - I haven't been to Sapphire Beach, so I don't have a photograph to show you. So instead I'll show you a picture from Paradise Point ...

StThomasHarbor-stretch4.jpg

This is amazing!!! Thank you so much!!

Make sure you are back on the ship after an excursion in time to see the drunk people stagger back. As good as the comedy clubs as far as entertainment value goes.

Lol this is great, we will definitely have to do this!!!

At all those ports you can share a van from the pier for a quarter to a third of ships excursion prices. Drivers are friendly and trustworthy, they know their island and they know the importance of back-on-board time. They can replicate ships tours (without the regimentation and delays of ships cattle-drives) or suggest alternatives. Go ashore reasonably early, drivers will arrange sharing. Agree itinerary, timescale and price before you board, pay in USD when you get back - it's the norm. Price is for the transport only, not food or drink. Driver can take you back to the ship or drop you at shops or beach (so take your beach stuff). Be wary of taxis and vans further from the port, they might not even be licensed or insured.

For St Lucia a trip up into the rainforest, past the Pitons, to the drive-in volcano costs about 25 dollars. Get the driver to drop you at Choc beach , ten minute drive from the ship, idyllic Palm-fringed crescent beach, one bar, a few locals and tourists. Or 10 minutes further to Reduit beach, tourist beach with all the toys. Whichever beach, arrange for the driver to return to collect you at an agreed time.

For St Kitts, a circumnavigation of the island - don't choose the cheapest tour at about 10 to 15 dollars, it's not a full tour. About 20 dollars for a good tour including beach time en-route.

Barbados is best for snorkelling. Either from a catamaran, or ask a taxi to take you to a suitable west coast beach - they're no more than about 5 miles from your ship.

I'll second a van shuttle (about 5 dollars e/w?) to Maho beach on Sint Maarten for "something different".

But I'll also add my concerns about scooters - quality and safety is very variable.

All very easy to DIY, cheap and fun.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Barbados has numerous ours that have you snorkel with the turtles. Unique to this island.

Agree with Orient Beach on St Martin. Can catch transportation at the pier. Chair and umbrella rental about $20 sometimes will even include a drink

Maegans Bay inexpensive but can get crowded esp if a lot of ships in port. Still, my favorite beach in St Thomas.

If you are not REALLY experienced riding motorcycles or scooters, you should forget it as a bad idea on any of the islands. Some drive on the left, on all traffic is something of a free-for-all, and road surfaces standards are generally below what you are used to: steep hills, narrow or non-existent shoulders, pot holes, cracked pavement, etc.

Go to your local library and check out a guidebook on your ports! There are tons of low-cost things to do..and the Caribbean is very easy to DIY! You really don't need excursions or a guide unless it's something like skiing, or dolphins, or scuba.....

Shopping, beaches, walking, etc...are easy to do, IF you have info on where you're going! Get a guidebook before you start booking stuff!

When we were in St. Thomas, we asked our taxi driver to take us to a beach and he drove us to Sapphire Beach. Many others from our cruise on that beach (could tell from the towels laid down). The only downside was that the outdoor bar there that was associated with the hotel was a bit snotty (my hubby attempted to order a drink,but the bartender was obviously ignoring him, so he finally left and walked over to a nearby convenience store to buy some cans.

Personally, whenever we're going on a trip, I'll see if our local public library has a recent guide book. (usually not too old unless others are doing the same) and get the freebie guide book from the auto club too. I also will google each port. Among those, I can find lots of ideas for our family. Most of the time we don't do excursions, but sight see on our own. And beaches you can do on your own. If away from the port, make sure to have phone numbers of local taxi companies inputted into your phone, and make sure to pad in lots of time to get back to the ship so you won't risk being left behind. But usually we don't go too far away and get back extra early. Take along the day's ship newsletter as it will list the time to be back on board.

Personally' date=' whenever we're going on a trip, I'll see if our local public library has a recent guide book. (usually not too old unless others are doing the same) and get the freebie guide book from the auto club too. I also will google each port. Among those, I can find lots of ideas for our family. Most of the time we don't do excursions, but sight see on our own. And beaches you can do on your own. If away from the port, make sure to have phone numbers of local taxi companies inputted into your phone, and make sure to pad in lots of time to get back to the ship so you won't risk being left behind. But usually we don't go too far away and get back extra early. Take along the day's ship newsletter as it will list the time to be back on board. And the phone number to call if you miss the ship.

Well, if you are at the beach you can always just swim out to meet the ship as it is leaving. Make sure to catch the ship will the harbor pilot is still aboard, as the ship will be traveling slowly. If you get between the pilot boat and the ship, you know you'll reach the ship before the pilot leaves.

Edited by Cuizer2

As I said one one of your other threads, you should do some research on the Ports of Call portion of Cruise Critic. And I still highly recommend Anne Vipond's guide to Caribbean cruising.

Ok I will do that! Can anyone tell me the best of those islands to go snorkeling at if we decide to snorkel?

On your itinerary St. Thomas by going to St. John and Barbados is also good and fun to swim with the sea turtles there!

Enjoy planning! :)

The last time I was in St Martin we walked into town and did a little shopping. Took our purchases back to the ship and dropped them off. Changed into batch suit and walked back to town. There are numerous places at the beach that will rent you an umbrella, chairs and give you a bucket of beer for very little money. I think thatcher spent $20 tops for a very pleasant afternoon at the beach within sight and a short walk to the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Barbados has numerous ours that have you snorkel with the turtles. Unique to this island.

Agree with Orient Beach on St Martin. Can catch transportation at the pier. Chair and umbrella rental about $20 sometimes will even include a drink

Maegans Bay inexpensive but can get crowded esp if a lot of ships in port. Still, my favorite beach in St Thomas.

There are snorkel with turtles all over the Caribbean. It's not unique to Barbados. St Thomas has a specific turtle snorkeling tour as well, as to many other places.

I love St Maarten, and besides cruising there a few times, I spent a week there for my 25th anniversary back in 1995. Our favorite beach then, and still is, Orient Beach. You can grab a taxi to the beach and back for an inexpensive day. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The only way to save $$ is to become informed, mainly through reading multiple Caribbean travel books and googling port name. Fodors, Frommers. Lonely Planet and more. Most ports have local buses. Taxis are not cheap but buses are. Same with tours. With info you can DIY.

On St Thomas the best snorkeling beach is Coli. If the waves are high, the taxi coordinator can tell you. If you choose yo go to St John, the US Natinal park is easy walking distance from the ferry, with a walking bath along the beaches, which are very quiet and private. One is Honeymoon Beach. If you want snorkeling here, taxi to Trunk Beach.

Agree with St Kitts recommendations.

Taxis to beaches in St Lucia are very expensive. We were accosted by panhandlers, hawkers, etc many times on walk into town. Never again! Snorkeling tour was good, not great, at $35 per person