Omg - toilets not working on jewel of the seas

OMG! It is just about 2 am on Wednesday May 10. The Jewel of the Seas has no working toilets. Entire ship! This happened about 12:30 am. So as of now - 1-1/2 hours of ..... problems! They are working on it. Our ship is scheduled to dock in Rhodes, Greece at 7 am. We are in the middle of a med cruise. We are D plus with lots of nights and cruises all on Royal - and this toilet problem is a first for us.

Edited by BEENSAILING

Wow...we've had issues with toilets not flushing for a couple of hours....don't know if there was some sort of "vacuum" problem with the lines...but eventually ,they worked.

Really doesn't matter WHAT your status is...a non-flushing toilet is NOT good!

While sailing on Jewel in Grand Suite we had toliet issuse for 2 days. Not our waste in our toilet....yuck. Brilliance also has a plumbing system issue and they have notices in the bathrooms.

Got a very nice future cruise credit because of it.

While sailing on Jewel in Grand Suite we had toliet issuse for 2 days. Not our waste in our toilet....yuck. Brilliance also has a plumbing system issue and they have notices in the bathrooms.

Got a very nice future cruise credit because of it.

At least they gave you something for what must have been truly awful for you.... big ick....

No need for a snarky comment....It means we have lots of nights and lots of experience on Royal cruises and that this has never occurred on any of our cruises.

I agree. I thought that was the intent of your message

There's a reason why the aft of a ship is known as the "Poop Deck". Literally had a hole in the floor hanging over the open ocean and a bucket of salt water with a shared sponge to clean yourself afterward.

Perhaps modern ships should have this as a backup? Better than randomly having people use the balconies in such an emergency!

Actually, that deck was know as the Head or front of the ship. As sailing ships were wind powered and all smells were blown forward. But I like Poop Deck better!

Edited by BillHoo

Just curious, how did you know it was a ship wide problem? If it started at 12:30am, I doubt they made an announcement. Were you out searching for a working toilet at 2am?

When I went to guest services the person at the desk said it was a shipwide problem. Before we were getting off the ship today head of housekeeping for the floor told me it was only in one section. I am just happy the problem has been fixed.

On May 10, 2017, at 5:09 PM, Cruise Critic Message Board Forums <community@cruisecritic.com> wrote:

CruiseCriticLogo%402x.png

Dear BEENSAILING,

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL Use the links below to post on the forum.

Get published on Cruise Critic! You might win some Cruise Critic swag.

blackshirt has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - Omg - toilets not working on jewel of the seas - in the Royal Caribbean International forum of Cruise Critic Message Board Forums.

Here is the message that has just been posted:

Just curious, how did you know it was a ship wide problem? If it started at 12:30am, I doubt they made an announcement. Were you out searching for a working toilet at 2am?

Don't miss anything! Please revisit the above thread to view the newest messages. This will be the ONLY notification until you revisit the forum.

All the best,

Cruise Critic

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How to Unsubscribe:

To unsubscribe from ALL threads, please

There's a reason why the aft of a ship is known as the "Poop Deck". Literally had a hole in the floor hanging over the open ocean and a bucket of salt water with a shared sponge to clean yourself afterward.

Perhaps modern ships should have this as a backup? Better than randomly having people use the balconies in such an emergency!

Actually, that deck was know as the Head or front of the ship. As sailing ships were wind powered and all smells were blown forward. But I like Poop Deck better!

Sounds like the toilets in Greece.

The origin of the term "poop deck" is from the French, "la poupe" or stern.

The term "head" does not generally refer to the front of the ship, but comes from the name of the timber that stuck out sideways from the bow to provide a sideways point to secure rigging for the bowsprit, called the "cathead" (also where the anchor was lashed when stowed). This was the one place where you would be significantly over the side of the ship to keep the "drippings" from fouling the sides of the ship. You climbed out the rigging, and sat on the (cat)head.

And, as I thought, this was not a shipwide loss of toilets, but limited to one vacuum system, in one section of the ship. It could even have been merely a clog that made its way to a place where a hundred cabins or so were affected, and guest services were getting so many calls about it that they felt it was shipwide, most of guest services crew know very little about the technical side of ships.

OMG! It is just about 2 am on Wednesday May 10. The Jewel of the Seas has no working toilets. Entire ship! This happened about 12:30 am. So as of now - 1-1/2 hours of ..... problems! They are working on it. Our ship is scheduled to dock in Rhodes, Greece at 7 am. We are in the middle of a med cruise. We are D plus with lots of nights and cruises all on Royal - and this toilet problem is a first for us.

Sorry to hear this has happened. The good news is that repairs are by loyalty status. Pinnacles, then you!

The origin of the term "poop deck" is from the French, "la poupe" or stern.

The term "head" does not generally refer to the front of the ship, but comes from the name of the timber that stuck out sideways from the bow to provide a sideways point to secure rigging for the bowsprit, called the "cathead" (also where the anchor was lashed when stowed). This was the one place where you would be significantly over the side of the ship to keep the "drippings" from fouling the sides of the ship. You climbed out the rigging, and sat on the (cat)head.

And, as I thought, this was not a shipwide loss of toilets, but limited to one vacuum system, in one section of the ship. It could even have been merely a clog that made its way to a place where a hundred cabins or so were affected, and guest services were getting so many calls about it that they felt it was shipwide, most of guest services crew know very little about the technical side of ships.

Thank you your posts are always informative and very interesting.

This thread is why I simply HATE CC sometimes.:(

This poor fellow cruiser reaches out to our community with a serious, almost Titanic like issue, and all people can do is ridicule the OP and make fun of the situation.:(

And you do all this without me! Grrrr! :(

Would it have been so hard for one of this group to have messaged me to give me the scoop on this poop? :)

This poor fellow cruiser reaches out to our community with a serious, almost Titanic like issue, and all people can do is ridicule the OP and make fun of the situation.:(

Really, a temporary loss of toilet use rises to such level?

The snarky comments remind me why people do not like to post on the general Roll Call site for Royal and post only on their specific cruise Roll Call.

I agree. Hope you had a good cruise after the problem was fixed