I need advice...Have you lost your Cruise "butterflies"??

WE are blessed beyond belief so please don't take this as us being ungrateful. :o

My DH and I are in our late 30's. We have cruised with our daughters, other family, & friends. When we were on last cruise this past February on the Carnival Breeze with friends we both confided in one another that we have both lost those awesome "butterflies" that cruising usually gives us.

We live in the Midwest with long winters so for us it seemed only natural to take a break from our winter months and enjoy some tropical sun. Thus, we have only cruised in the Caribbean (exotic southern, eastern, & western) and it got to the point that all the beaches seemed the same, all the snorkeling looked the same, all the islands were just blending together. Same stuff, different port kind of thing. We still had a good time, don't get me wrong but it has just lost its big excitement. :(

That is the primary reason why we have decided to take the Alaskan cruise next. We hope with the drastic new change in the cruise scenery that we will get our "butterflies" back for cruising. :D

Has this happened to anyone else?? What else could we do to get those cruise "butterflies" back?? Are we just past the "honeymoon stage" of cruising now so this is how it will be from now on???.....or will we get the crazy, I can't sleep the night before excitement back??? :confused:

WE are blessed beyond belief so please don't take this as us being ungrateful. :o

My DH and I are in our late 30's. We have cruised with our daughters, other family, & friends. When we were on last cruise this past February on the Carnival Breeze with friends we both confided in one another that we have both lost those awesome "butterflies" that cruising usually gives us.

We live in the Midwest with long winters so for us it seemed only natural to take a break from our winter months and enjoy some tropical sun. Thus, we have only cruised in the Caribbean (exotic southern, eastern, & western) and it got to the point that all the beaches seemed the same, all the snorkeling looked the same, all the islands were just blending together. Same stuff, different port kind of thing. We still had a good time, don't get me wrong but it has just lost its big excitement. :(

That is the primary reason why we have decided to take the Alaskan cruise next. We hope with the drastic new change in the cruise scenery that we will get our "butterflies" back for cruising. :D

Has this happened to anyone else?? What else could we do to get those cruise "butterflies" back?? Are we just past the "honeymoon stage" of cruising now so this is how it will be from now on???.....or will we get the crazy, I can't sleep the night before excitement back??? :confused:

I don't know that you can get the "honeymoon" feeling again. But you certainly can still enjoy cruising (like being married) at a calmer pace.

We've only been cruising for 7 years, but I still get excited from the moment we book a cruise.

I know we had that experience about a year ago. We did cruise a lot, trying to hit platinum before the change over of the rules, and then we went on one of them, and whoa. I was grumpy. I was angry at other passengers. I was annoyed that things weren't "standardly perfect"... We took a break and now I'm excited again. I think I took it for granted completely. 1st world problems... I know... But I think changing it up is a great idea. We have a med. Cruise for that same reason. So excited : )

I hope you get them again!! Any day on a cruise is better than a day on land ;)

You mean that "I don't vacation too often" excitement? The more you travel- absolutely this is going to lesson.

There is FAR more I cruise for, than any "excitement", that has been gone for years in my case. I traveled half the year last year, I didn't choose to, for cruise ship "excitement". I did it because we like to spend time in destinations of our choosing, have the ability to do so and enjoy it. :) All that matters to me.

I can certainly say that I have not lost the cruise "butterflies". I have been on six cruises within the last two years. I have become completely addicted! From the first moments of stepping on board from the gangway, to sailing away from the home port, to getting all dressed up for dinner in the MDR, to exploring different ports of call, to...well you get the picture!

I can see how traveling the same itineraries may have become a little monotonous, but you are hitting that nail on the head by sailing somewhere completely different. I think by the time your cruise rolls around, you will be ready to go. Enjoy your cruise!! :)

I think most people would get tired of the same thing after a while, even if it is something as nice as a vacation.

You are doing the right thing by trying Alaska next time, it should be different enough to get you really excited and keep the excitement through the cruise.

We are doing the same by trying a Baltic next year. We are doing our 3rd Caribbean cruise in 6 months next week and we both know we need to change it up or take a break from cruising and do something different, so Baltic it is!

Have fun in Alaska and I hope those butterflies come back.

Maybe there was one beach or island that stood out from the rest. After Alaska, maybe try a land vacation at that beach or island.

Or try an entirely new cruiseline - I see you were on Carnival and Royal Caribbean - so maybe NCL or Celebrity next?

After 13 cruises, yes, we have lost the honeymoon feeling. But it is still great to get on the ship and know that for 1 week, we won't hear the problems at home, work or from the kids. It is real nice to escape from the world (cell phone, internet, and other distractions) and truly relax.

We are from the Midwest too, and usually cruise once in the late fall and once in the late winter to escape the cold, and frankly, no better place than the Caribbean to do it in. As cheap as cruises are, they really are the best deal.

Try some different itineraries and add an excursion or two that you thought you would never do. Cross off some bucket list items during your cruise. You will find that honeymoon feeling doesn't have to be there but the experiences can be be just as rewarding and gratifying.

Edited by HawkIVette

I've been on ten cruises. I'm more excited now than I ever have been. I think its because I know more about how much I need this kind of vacation and am better at soaking up every second. The ocean is simply magic. Butterflies have turned to seagulls.

That is the primary reason why we have decided to take the Alaskan cruise next.

More than changing destinations, I would recommend changing cruise lines (specially going to Alaska. Carnival would be my last choice with so many other ships and itineraries to truly fantastic destinations that Carnival doesnt go to).

Even if there's absolutely nothing wrong with the two cruise lines that you have sailed on, its always nice to try a completely different cruise line, discover new ships, cuisine, entertainment, fellow cruisers, etc.

We too had grown very tired of Carnival and had long lost the butterflies. Our 2010 cruise on the Fascination was so underwhelming that it prompted us to pull the trigger on a different cruise line. Since then, we haven't done the same cruise line twice in a row. We went from Royal Caribbean to Carnival to Holland America back to Royal Caribbean to Princess, and now we are gearing up for Cunard and another Carnival. Absolutely fantastic!

Each one of these sailings has been wonderful, and the butterflies now come back every single time!

I try to find one or two things that are completely new or exciting that would be good to see or do on a cruise and that usually amps up the satisfaction, especially visiting ports like Cozumel, Roatan, and Belize that we have often visited. Trying to find an itinerary with at least one new port helps. But finding an excursion that we couldn't do before due to age limitations for our boys is also a way to improve the BTDT factor. Snorkeling is one activity we love, so even if we do that on every cruise, we are happy! It's also good to plan alternate types of vacations in-between cruises, like hiking in the mountains or going to an amusement park for a couple days.

I hope you get your butterflies back - love them! I get excited booking the cruise, then trying to find airfare, hotels, excursions, the full meal deal.

We are looking forward to our 14th cruise in January, and I still get them. In fact, I begin losing sleep incrementally about the last 3 weeks before we leave. By the time we head to the airport, I have bags under my eyes so big that I almost don't need a carry-on! I don't care, it means we're going on another great vacation and I get to spend time away from the "frozen tundra" with my DH of 38 years in a very relaxed, pampered setting.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

Over 20+ cruise's and I have never gotten over the excitement, regardless of whether it's a familure itinerary or a new one...each will hold a new adventure...at least for us. ;)

The excitement, for me, is more about seeing a new area or doing something I've not before. I suggest trying a new area of the world....you are...Alaska or trying excursions you never thought you would. Travel full time (and we travel about 3/4 of the year) is like anything else, if you don't vary what you are doing it gets old. I always list our ports and make sure we are doing different things...it is too easy to stick with tried and true.

After Alaska.........

Cruise the Mediterranean, there are so many options on cruising around Europe, that will take a few years.

Cruise from the West coast to the East coast through the Panama Canal.

Cruise the West coast to Hawaii.

Cruise Hawaii to Sydney.

There are so many options. Look beyond the Caribbean, there is a whole world out there just waiting to be discovered.

Caribbean = boring

Oceania = not boring

Head to the Pacific

I've been on ten cruises. I'm more excited now than I ever have been. I think its because I know more about how much I need this kind of vacation and am better at soaking up every second. The ocean is simply magic. Butterflies have turned to seagulls.

Yes!!! :D

We have done a number of cruises to the Caribbean and as lovely as it is, it can become tiring. I think a change of itinerary may change that for someone. For instance we are doing a British Isles cruise in August and spending a week in London post cruise then do a Baltics cruise next May and we are looking forward to these cruises with great anticipation and excitement.

This is why we have no loyalty to any particular line.

We've been on ships with just over 100 passengers to another with about 4000. Luxury and budget. Weekend get away and 3 week trek. Europe, Carib, Alaska, New England, Hawaii, Mexico.

And everything in-between...

It never loses it's luster because it's always different.

Some people like to vacation in the same place always and buy second homes or individual timeshares. Others need change-which is the joy of cruising.

You're smart to change things up for your next cruise. Continue to do so and every trip you take will feel like you are on your honeymoon every time.

Your problem is that you haven't been mixing up your vacations enough. I felt the same way after 10 straight vacations to Disneyworld. I was walking around one of the parks and thought, "I'm not having much fun this time." So I changed the way we vacationed and that made all the difference. A few years later, I went back to Disney and loved it!

Alaska will be a drastic change and I highly recommend a Med cruise. That will be an unforgettable experience - when you start seeing places you read about in school or saw in movies. But also think of doing other types of vacations, such as a river cruise (our river cruise had people from ages 28 to 93 on it - it was amazing!), land vacations, adventure cruising - for example the Galapagos or Antartica. Mix it up and you will appreciate the cruises more.

We try to mix things up with our vacations.

Do a land trip...we just did a townhouse in Tucson for a week. We always find that after we do a land trip we can't wait to get back on a cruise.

Mix up the cruise lines....our last 3 cruises were on Carnival, Princess, and NCL.

Try a new itinerary out of the Caribbean....Canada, Alaska, Hawaii, Europe, etc. We did Halifax and Saint John out of NY when we wanted to mix it up one time.

Try a new embarkation port and stay a few extra days to explore. We did this in NY and New Orleans.

Do different and new excursions.

We can always find something new and different for our trips to make it different experience from before.

After Alaska.........

Cruise the Mediterranean, there are so many options on cruising around Europe, that will take a few years.

Cruise from the West coast to the East coast through the Panama Canal.

Cruise the West coast to Hawaii.

Cruise Hawaii to Sydney.

There are so many options. Look beyond the Caribbean, there is a whole world out there just waiting to be discovered.

Change is good. I like variety. However, some people may be bound to certain itineraries by virtue of travel costs or work restrictions. As long as I am working, I will never be able to sail from Hawaii to Sydney, or take a super long cruise in the Far East (or anywhere else for that matter). Since my current budget pretty much allows for a cruise to the Caribbean or maybe a New England itinerary, I will have to find ways to make my options more enticing.

I have not really cruised enough to have lost the excitement. It may be more looking forward to relaxation now, but I still anxiously anticipate our cruises. We have tried new excursions. We have talked about trying a land-based AI resort.

If you have the time and money, I am all for changing it up in a big way- taking longer cruises. Varying your itineraries to a whole new part of the world.

However, for those of us who don't have the time or money at this point in life- I guess we can settle for changing cruise lines, or changing excursions at various ports of call.

Some of you like shopping. Some don't. However, this past cruise it occurred to me that I could start collecting beads for my Pandora bracelet. Mine is actually a Charmed Memories watch. It gives me something specific to look for, and a memory from each trip. I got a Jamaica bead this past trip.

Maybe you could start collecting something specific. Maybe you could start visiting different restaurants at each port, or finding a beach with some special feature. I guess it is all about what you want to do to make it different.

My budget and time are somewhat limited, so for me it will have to be little changes for awhile. This last cruise was one of our most relaxing. We did almost every trivia contest. We watched the movies on deck at night. Yet, these are things I will look forward to on the next cruise. I hadn't ever thought they sounded fun before, but now I think they are fun.

Anyhow, enjoy that Alaskan cruise. I hope to make it on one of those someday.