The Mayan Ruins

This will be the first cruise my husband and I have taken our kids on (2 DS one will be 11 the other 9). The one thing they really want to do is see the Mayan Ruins. In looking into the shore excursions for the western carribean cruise I am a little overwhelmed by the choices for seeing the Mayan ruins. Please help.....

Belize City, Belize

Alton Ha Mayan Site and River Wallace

Lamanai at and the New River Safari

Mayan Places of Canal PeCh

Xunanhtunich and Marimba Lunch

Costa Maya, Mexico

the Mayans through the ages

Kuhunlich Mayan Ruins

Chacchoben Mayan Ruins

Mayan Ruins Exclusive DRive

Kohunice and Dzibanche Mayan Ruins

Cozumel, Mexico

Tulum ruins and beach break.

The Mayan frontier by horseback

Chichen Itza Mayan Ruins

What have you done? Loved? Disliked? What has the biggest WOW factor?

Thank you!

I think the two top choices would be Xunantunich & Marimba Lunch - BE60 and the Chichen Itza Mayan Ruins - CZK8.

Chichen Itza was my choice. While this is challenging to do from a shore excursion from Cozumel due to the travel time and need for both a 45 minute each way boat transfer and then a 1.5 hour each way bus transfer, it did allow sufficient time at the site and I was lucky to get a very good guide.

While both of these mentioned tours are long doing one of them would allow you to see one of the top Mayan sites.

While doing this with children would involve extra planning to keep them occupied and breaks needed to be well planned as stops are very limited.

The tour does allow some free time and you do move around the entire site and I was very satisfied with this particular shore excursion.

This tour is cleared first from the ship and you return by ferry just prior to the ship sailing in most cases which does not allow for any time in Cozumel itself. The outbound ferry is right by the ship while the return is just next to security and you often have to make your way quickly back on board.

The only one I've done was Tulum ruins, 4 years ago (we didn't go down to the beach, just the ruins). Normally I do private excursions but I took the ship's excursion on that one, since it involved a ferry ride and a long bus ride. We really enjoyed it, we also got lucky with a very good tour guide.

We did Chacchoben Mayan Ruins through Native Choice several years ago, and it was not only an excellent tour, but also cheaper than the ship's tour and got us there faster. We were able to skirt around the crowds and it was a much more personal tour. It's still quite a drive from the port to Chacchoben, but we were in small, comfortable vans with guides who gave us a history lesson along the way and answered questions on the way back, so we were well informed and entertained.

On our last cruise, we did Tulum from Cozumel, and went with the ship's tour for logistical reasons. The price wasn't bad considering it included the transfers, Tulum tour, and beach break with a decent lunch. However, the ferry ride is not always pleasant and getting back and forth by bus really cuts into the days events. On top of that, because of the arranged lunch, our time at Tulum was cut short to get us out of there and to the beach break on time. We had a very rushed tour at Tulum and didn't get to truly enjoy our time there. We were some of the last of the tours back on board at the end of the day, and we were exhausted. They held the ship for us and some others.

I'd actually go back to Chacchoben, but I'd only go back to Tulum if I were staying in the area and could spend as much time as I wanted. It was not worth the time spent on the ferry and bus for the little time we had at the ruins themselves.

Edited by CntPAcruiser

I wouldn't try a ruins tour from Cozumel - with 45 minute rough ferry ride and long bus rides you just spend too much time traveling.

Have done the Altun Ha tour in Belize and it really is pretty good. Bus ride is only around 30 minutes on an interesting road (think 1.5 lane paved for two directions that is the major north/south road in the country) plus a 10 minute transfer to the boat ride for a return. You can climb two of the ruins structure and if you are lucky enough to be in the first tour you experience the plaza area with only about 30 people. Local sales booths at both the ruins and where you pick up the boat, and decent food available there as well. Boat ride on canal not quite as good as Costa Rica, but saw lots of monkeys, crocs, sloth, iguanas and manatees. Take a poncho - if raining they sell very flimsy ones for $2 that will shred before you get it on. Tour is short enough to see if kids like ruins and also has the boat ride.

We just got back from a western caribbean cruise and we did stop at Cozumel. We did the Tulum Ruins and Beach break. We booked through RCI. To start I will say it is a very intense and tiring day.

Ferry ride and buses:

They gathered all of us together on the ship and once the ship was cleared we were the first to go to the ferry.

The ferry was very nice. it was clean, comfortable, and kept nice and cool. It takes about 10 min or so to load the ferry, and about 30-40 min ride to the mainland. From there, you walk out of the dock and all the tour guides are out holding signs for each excursion. Once you find it you wait about 5-10 min for everyone to gather together.

Then they lead you to the bus. I was surprised at the buses. I was expecting a dinky, small looking bus, but these were coach buses. They were big, comfy, and cool. My husband is 6'1 and 260, and he had no comfort issues. The ride is long, about 45 min. During that time the tour guide explains things about Mexico, the tour itself, and just general fyi things.

At Tulum

Once there, it's about a 1/2 mi walk from the bus to the actual ruins. They give the group the option to take a tractor ride from the shopping area to the ruins. It's $2 pp. We choose to walk.

The Ruins are ruins, busted up old buildings from people that don't exist. The tour guide does a great job explaining what the building were and how they were used. They provide a radio with headphones so that you can hear the tour guide better, no matter where you stand. He was nice and found shaded spots to stand and talk. Otherwise, it was really sunny out. The guided tour is about 30 min. After that you will have around 45 on you own to further explore the ruins as well as other areas such as the shopping area in the front. They give you a time to be back at the bus, and the time they say is when they are leaving. No playing around waiting for people. Two people were late, they waited 5 min after that we backed out to leave and the people just made it on as we were pulling out . So be on time.

Lunch and Beach Break

The ride to the beach and lunch location is about 30min. Here again I was pleasantly surprised. I was expecting a bagged lunch, or some small portion meal. I was wrong. The bus pulled up to a nice looking glass building. Inside was a nice sized buffet. It consisted of:

Salad, pico de gallo, fresh made tortilla chips, corn tortilla, yellow rice, pinto beans, chicken (looks spicy but it's not), fried fish (delicious), chicken fajita with onion and peppers, and dessert was rice pudding, fruit salad, or flan. They had pineapple water, mango water (safe to drink), and bottled sodas.

You can go back and get more if you like. The beach is just on the backside of the eating area. they have loungers, chairs, a pool and of course the beach. Very nice area. Seaweed was an issue but that was not anyone's fault. Must have been the season. Total time to eat and go to the beach was about 1.5hrs.

Once you load up on the bus, it's about 1hr 10min back to the ferry. During which time the tour guide recommends a siesta, and lets you nap until you arrive. The ferry was waiting for us and other mainland excursions, so there was no time to shop. Just a straight shot from the bus to the ferry. It was another 45min for loading and travel to the pier.

I highly recommend doing any mainland tour through the ship. The ship had to wait an 45-60min after the " All Aboard" time, for us to get onboard. If this was a private tour. I'd still be in Mexico.

We all thoroughly enjoyed this tour. I felt I got more than my money's worth out of it. Our guide was fantastic, his name was Carlos. He was very good about making sure we all understood exactly what was going on and he repeated the important parts numerous times to make sure we all understood. Plus he was a little humerous. Made me chuckle a few times.

Loved it, though the bus ride down and back was long and at the ruins, it was one of the hottest and most humid days I have ever experienced. I'm a Florida Gulf Coast native (who lives elsewhere) but I'll tell ya, that heat was fierce.

The wow factor was the hugeness of the sight and the excellence of our guide, a native, who made the culture and history come alive.

We did the Mayan ruins by horseback. This was a very nice tour for horseback riding and we had a great time, mainly because our kids (13, 15, & 18) were mostly interested in riding. This is not a tour I would do if your primary purpose is to see Mayan ruins. It is very limited with unimpressive runs.

Thank you for your replies so far! Are any of these ruins ones you can climb up? My husband and I saw some smaller ruins when we were on a cruise a couple of years ago and it was super interesting but they were small and a huge no to touching anything.

Costa Maya, Mexico

the Mayans through the ages

Kuhunlich Mayan Ruins

Chacchoben Mayan Ruins

Mayan Ruins Exclusive DRive

Kohunice and Dzibanche Mayan Ruins

Thank you!

Dzibanche & Kohunlich review here with lots of photos

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=42738841&highlight=ruins#post42738841

Having visited the Mayan coast a couple of times on land tours, I would not do mainland Mexico excursions from Cozumel with the excessive travel time to get to either Tulum or Chichen Itza... so much more to do and see in Cozumel to maximize your 8 hour stay than be on a bus + ferry for 2.5 hours each way... just my 2 cents.

Have a great cruise! :D

We did Alton Ha about 6 years ago...was great except for the rain, which made the canal ride quite unpleasant. Big fight with the kids because you could climb one of the temples, but with the rocks being wet, I was concerned that they would slip and get hurt...did not want to chance needing medical help while being so far out from civilization ( yes, overprotective mother here). :)

In Belize we did the New River/Lamanai ruins. Kids will love the fast boat ride too. A great day out, good thing it was a ship's tour as we got back at the last minute.

We also went to ruins out of Progreso (a Carnival stop in Yucatan) Dzibul..something, that was excellent as well.

This will be the first cruise my husband and I have taken our kids on (2 DS one will be 11 the other 9). The one thing they really want to do is see the Mayan Ruins. In looking into the shore excursions for the western carribean cruise I am a little overwhelmed by the choices for seeing the Mayan ruins. Please help.....

Chichen Itza Mayan Ruins

Chichen Itza is the most famous & best known.

It's a LONG excursion ... but you might consider because the boys will be seeing in person the one they have seen on TV. (This is important if they are really into Mayan Ruins.)

We took our girls there many years ago. It was a long hot day and would not want to do it again ... but we are glad we did it. :)

Over the years DH & I have been to a couple of other Mayan Ruins because friends with us wanted to go but none compare to Chichen Itza. ;)

LuLu

Never been on the Mayan Ruins tour although my parents did one and found it very cheezy. Lots of souvenir stands and not much history. So check out the ports of call section of CC and see what others are saying as well as here.

Costa Maya we found was a good place to hit some shops and relax. They have a huge pool that the kids will enjoy and lots of lounge chairs and tiki umbrellas, or seats at around the bar if you would rather do that.

My husband and I have done all of the Mayan ruins you have listed.

In Belize, I recommend the Lamanai and New River Safari for both the ruins and the boat ride (about 35 minutes long).

In Costa Maya, either Kuhunlich or Chaccoben are good choices.

I wouldn't do any of the tours in Cozumel. The ruins on Cozumel are small and not particularly visit worthy. The two tours on the mainland involve the ferry to the mainland (a/k/a/ the vomit comet for good reason, even if you never get sea sick, take bonine). The time in travel to Chichen Itza doesn't give you enough time at the site. Tulum is nice, but again the travel time eats into your day. Save both of these ruins for sometime when you are in Cancun.

Last December we took the Royal Carribean tour from Cozumal to Chichen Itza. It was a rough boat ride and a long bus ride to the ruins. We were promised 2 hours at the site. Instead we had less than one hour to explore the site.

Returning the bus ride was long and the ferry back to Cozamul had left. Fortunately it was a Royal Caribbean tour and the ferry turned around and came back to pick up our group.

It is not worth taking the tour as there is insufficient time to visit the site.

In January 2015, my wife, daughter and I cruised the Western Caribbean via RCL's Vision of the Seas.

In Belize City, we went on the Lamanai Mayan Ruins/New River tour. We booked with Elio of Lamanai Belize Tours several weeks before our cruise based on positive reviews and experiences.

This is outfit is locally run by Elio and his family. The live in Belize and know and understand the Belizian and Mayan culture.They are true professionals and take care of every detail to enhance your experience and to make certain you are back to port to make your tender.

In Costa Maya, we went on the Chacchoben Extreme tour offered through The Native Choice. We loved it. A great experience with a professional outfit.

Forget the cruise ship tours with 30, 40 or more persons. I highly recommend booking a tour with Lamanai Belize Tours or The Native Choice if you value professional, local companies who cater to its client's needs and offer and provide exactly what they promise. You will not be disappointed, we weren't.

I've visited Myan ruins, and they were amazing; however, I suggest you see them the same way I did -- as a part of an inland vacation. The ruins and a cruise aren't particularly compatible. The ruins are too far inland and require too long a trip inland.

Thank you for your replies so far! Are any of these ruins ones you can climb up? My husband and I saw some smaller ruins when we were on a cruise a couple of years ago and it was super interesting but they were small and a huge no to touching anything.

Please be respectful of the culture and ask your guide how to best experience the ruins without being culturally insensitive. Aside from the foregoing, most ruins are in some degree of repair and/or decline.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, can you tell me how difficult is the walk up to the ruins. Is it a fairly smooth dirt trail or is it very rocky and uneven? My DH had spinal fusion 3 weeks ago and while his doctor has said he should still be able to go on the cruise, he shouldn't go extreme hiking.

thank you for any help you can give.

Hi, we did Tulum 25 years ago from Cozumel. It was a very hard and tiring trip for two 30 somethings perfectly healthy. Last October we were back in Cozumel a 2 pm ship time docking. We had a Carnival Live concert at 9 p.m. so we chose to do the ruins on Cozumel. Yes in size the can not compare, apples and oranges BUT we learned more than we ever could from our guide about the Mayan culture then we could in a longer excursion. 4 hours turned into 5 1/2. We got to meet a 100% Mayan man and did a stop on a coral beach (no sand but bits of smooth coral). Don't discount it.

Edited by pamrose228

I would highly, highly recommend this tour through Native Choice - http://www.thenativechoice.com/chacchoben_ruins.php. It was excellent! We had a small group (9) and a fantastic guide. Once we arrived at the ruins we walked to the back and worked our way forward. This allowed us to be the first people at any part of the ruins until we crossed paths with busloads of people on the ship's tour. On the way back we stopped at a roadside stand for fresh pineapple with chili powder, probably the highlight of the day for me. :)

We did the Lamanai ruins in Belize. The bus ride, boat ride, and the ruins were all a blast. We felt like it was almost three excursions in one. At Lamanai you get to climb two of the temples/pyramids. From the top of the tallest one you can see over the jungle out to the river. A troop of Howler monkeys live in the area too. Very wild sound they make.

Dan.

Edited by Dan-P