Worst thing that ever happened to you on a cruise?

You know, I can't actually think of anything on 30 or so cruises that I consider bad enough to qualify as 'the worst thing.' Which I guess makes me either very easy-going, very lucky or very optimistic.

I mean, steak a little tough, had to walk around a bit to find a lounge chair, rained during MUTS, umm, you see, not what I call real problems worth worrying about.

The worst thing that happened to us was getting an ear infection and not being able to snorkel the Great Barrier Reef. Missing that opportunity was bad enough, but the cost of the ship's doctor for an exam & antibiotics added to the pain. On the bright side, it just means we'll have to go back again!

When my wife and I first arrived to our stateroom aboard the Golden Princess we were greeted with soaking wet entrance carpet and a horrific smell. The toilet had overflowed and soaked half the carpet in the stateroom. Saw no visible excrement but the smell was overwhelming. Talked to our room steward who arranged to have carpet shampooed and a dehumidifier brought in to dry the wetness. Dehumidifier ran 24 hrs./day. We were still able to enjoy our cruise AND we were compensated with a free cruise for one of us on

our next cruise to the Mexican Riviera. All in all we were happy with the results and Princess stepping up. There were no empty staterooms for us to move into.

We had purchased a camera in St. Thomas one time and was looking at it before dinner time. We had left the box and all the papers in the bag and put it next to the chair in the stateroom. When we came back to the stateroom, the attendant had thought it was garbage and threw it out. He admitted to doing it and really felt bad. Who knows what kind of reprimand was given??? Stuff happens...

RCCL stepped up and bought us the same model and had it waiting for us 2 ports later.

Guest maddycat
We had purchased a camera in St. Thomas one time and was looking at it before dinner time. We had left the box and all the papers in the bag and put it next to the chair in the stateroom. When we came back to the stateroom, the attendant had thought it was garbage and threw it out. He admitted to doing it and really felt bad. Who knows what kind of reprimand was given??? Stuff happens...

RCCL stepped up and bought us the same model and had it waiting for us 2 ports later.

That's amazing. Good of RCI. What great customer service.

My wife came down with a serious lung infection to a point where the on board dr. told her she could not fly home. They took great care of heron board, but had her check into a hospital in Brooklyn . It was a snake pit. We had our luggage with us, and the staff felt she was some rich b**ch and treated her like crap.

She was there 3 nights before she was well enough to fly home. Thank goodness we had trip insurance to cover the hospital and plane fare home.

P.S. She is totally well now and we are about to embark on a 31 day cruise of South America.

My wife came down with a serious lung infection to a point where the on board dr. told her she could not fly home. They took great care of heron board, but had her check into a hospital in Brooklyn . It was a snake pit. We had our luggage with us, and the staff felt she was some rich b**ch and treated her like crap.

It is NYC. They probably treat everyone like crap. I doubt if they were picking on your wife specifically.

DON

On the third day of our first cruise we received the bad news that my father had died. Our next port was the Bahamas where we disembarked and flew home. It was on NCL and they were wonderful took care of all the arrangements for us. That was the worse call ever.

On the third day of our first cruise we received the bad news that my father had died. Our next port was the Bahamas where we disembarked and flew home. It was on NCL and they were wonderful took care of all the arrangements for us. That was the worse call ever.

I'm so sorry! Was it a 7 night cruise? :confused:

We were taking pictures of each other when an elderly lady volunteered to take our photo together. We didn't have any pictures together at the time and thankfully handed her my camera.

She took one picture of us...looked good. She suggested she'll take another...next thing we heard (and all the other passengers lounging around us) was a big "THUG". The lady dropped my Nikon D90 with the 18-105 lens right onto the solid wood decking.

She handed me back my camera...said "sorry", and walked away. Not much I can say or do. It was an accident. I immediately found several broken pieces from the lens.

An expensive lesson: 1. Not to ever hand over my camera. And if I really have to, place the strap around her neck. 2. Best, to hand over our "point and shoot" camera instead. :o

First cruise for our 25th anniversary we get on the ship in Alaska and loving every minute of it for 24 hours. Wake up first full day(Sept 11 2001) turn on T.V. and this nightmare is going on.We did not know what to do (could do nothing) went up to breakfast and we could tell that no one else knew , it was very strange . As we were leaving a lady who did know (I could tell by her face ) says to me ''none of these people know do they ''(I guess she could tell by my face) I just shook my head no and kept walking . I have tried a few times to write about it on this site but it seems trite compared to what others went through.

Last night of our cruise we received a notice that as "aliens" arriving in a US port (Tampa) we were required by US Customs to report to the Schooner Bar at 7 a.m. No other explanation. As you can imagine, this changed all our early morning plans.

At 7 a.m. the two of us, and about a hundred of our fellow "alien" friends, had to stand in line to wait for interviewing by 3 US Customs officials who had set up desks in the Schooner. They asked questions like "What was the purpose of your visit?" and "When are leaving the United States?" The whole process took about one and a half hours. We got no breakfast or even a coffee, and had to haul our hand luggage along through the line-up.

This was our first cruise, and it's never happened in six others since. However, I won't forget it might happen....

The spaghetti strap on my formal gown broke....I had to hold my dress up (through looooong hallways and elevator) until I got back to the cabin, or my boobs would have been on show! A few stitches with my sewing kit....good to go!

A woman who changed from wet swimsuit to dry one ON THE POOL DECK in front of everyone....it became the most popular spot to sit....since she got totally naked at least 3 times a day!

First cruise for our 25th anniversary we get on the ship in Alaska and loving every minute of it for 24 hours. Wake up first full day(Sept 11 2001) turn on T.V. and this nightmare is going on.We did not know what to do (could do nothing) went up to breakfast and we could tell that no one else knew , it was very strange . As we were leaving a lady who did know (I could tell by her face ) says to me ''none of these people know do they ''(I guess she could tell by my face) I just shook my head no and kept walking . I have tried a few times to write about it on this site but it seems trite compared to what others went through.

You're story is actually pretty good! Did the rest of the passengers end up by figuring it out by the end of the day?

Probably the worst was last April when I laid down on a pool lounger to watch a concert on MUTS (Princess), crossing my legs in front of me. The woman in the lounger in front of me went to adjust the back of her chair and the thing came down hard on my big toe.

She said sorry, I didn't make a big deal out of it since I knew she didn't mean to do that to me. It made walking a bit uncomfortable for a while. The black stripe across my toenail should be completely grown out by this Aprils cruise. It could have been worse, I could have had a broken toe and fortunately, I was able to walk.

So, I think we're pretty lucky…no real traumas for us. I will never lay down on a lounger lined up on the pool deck again.

On our next to last day of our Alaskan cruise I became totally winded after walking only a few steps. I thought I was having some issues due to being out of shape and the constant coughing the doctors had been trying to figure out. Turns out I had blood clots (3 total) that had gone to my lungs. I was lucky the doctor allowed me to stay on board (sea days!) and was not evacuated. I had to PROMISE to not leave my cabin, and to go immediately to the ER upon debarking. I stayed 3 nights in critical care in Seattle and had the most miserable 3 day drive home. So now hubby has promised me a do-over, and we will book a last minute (read: hopefully low fare!) Alaska cruise for this summer.

I had never realized how serious an issue blood clots can be. I was told at the beginning of my stay that I might have to go home in an ambulance. I was over 1,000 miles from home - would have hated to see THAT bill!

Suffice it to say, I am fine now, but am very cautious about sitting for long periods of time. And in airplanes, I walk the aisles, and if a flight attendant asks me to sit down and I feel I need to stay up a bit longer, I just tell them "I have a history of blood clots" and they are more than happy to allow me to stay up! Probably don't want me dying on their watch!

Julie

Oh Good Grief!

Our children began cruising with us when they were five or so. They are now grown out of college/grad school and have families/jobs.

When we all get together, their favorite memories are the ones where we had bad things happen to us on cruises.

They will reminisce and laugh hysterically about them.

Happily as time goes by , things that were unfortunate at the time, now seem funny. :D

LuLu

~~~~