Time to Say Goodbye

RLM77

There is a tinge of sadness when a local restaurant you have patronized for years changes its menu to offerings that are less appealing to you. Or when a favorite local clothing store is sold to a new owner who decides to pursue a different target market and changes out the inventory. Such is the sadness we feel after our most recent RCI cruise. RCI still offers a good product, but it no longer appeals to us as it once did.

We disembarked from Oasis of the Seas on August 29, having completed two weeks on Allure of the Seas and a week on Freedom of the Seas earlier this year. Last week we canceled three additional cruises on both Freedom- and Oasis-classes. As frequent, “mature” cruisers (not yet retirement age but closing in) we have seen a widening gap between RCI’s product and our cruise preferences. While our preferences have doubtless changed over time, it seems to us as if RCI is shifting their product away from us as well.

A pause to set some context: If all goes as planned we will attain our 365th night at sea in March of next year. 112 of those nights are on Royal Caribbean ships: 70 on Oasis-class, 35 on Freedom-class, and 7 on Radiance-class. Because you can only watch “Come Fly With Me” or Tony Tillman so many times (even over five years) we rely on live music to round out our cruise experience. Lounge music is an even bigger deal on the smaller ships where there are fewer “big show” options.

When we first cruised Oasis-class in 2010 we were over the moon. Beautiful ships and spaces, minimal crowding, many food options, and also – importantly – many entertainment selections, both large-scale events and live music. We went on to cruise this class nine additional times, the most recent being an Allure B2B in March and the Oasis cruise near the end of August.

The Allure cruise in March occurred shortly before her recent dry-dock and the cruise was close to our previous experiences. Food and entertainment were similar in quality and quantity to what we have seen in the past. My Time Dining was on Deck 5 and was comfortable. Overall our expectations were met and we were happy.

Freedom came next, over Memorial Day [u.S.]. It had been several years since we were on Freedom-class, but it seemed to us as if there was less live music on the ship than there had been a few years back. Plus, with the exception of the pool band it seemed to start later; there were very few options prior to 9 PM. Finally, although we are far from music critics, the combo in Bolero’s was one of the worst we have ever heard – the lead vocalist could not hold a note to save her soul. The Diamond Club, Sabor (yum!), and our cabin (1400) saved that cruise. We had a decent week but left wishing there had been more (and better) live music.

It was last month’s Oasis cruise that was the real eye-opener. This was our first cruise on the class after the dry-dock and it was a disappointment overall, with one huge exception – “Cats.” Credit where credit is due – “Cats” was absolutely fantastic. It was the same full length show that played Broadway for many years, not at all like some of the heavily abridged musicals that cruise lines stage and market as “Broadway.” And the cast was wonderful. Some of the cast did a couple vocal sets in the Jazz Club and the quality of their voices blew away that of the cast members from “Hairspray” and “Chicago” that we heard in days of yore. Kudos to RCI for staging the full-length show with such a strong cast. If you love Broadway, this performance in and of itself is worth a cruise on Oasis. This is something I could not say of either “Hairspray” or “Chicago” which were significantly shortened and had competent, but not exceptional casts.

Unfortunately, “Cats” and the vocal sets performed by its cast members were the only bright spots in a very disappointing entertainment landscape. The other “big” shows seemed exactly the same as they have been since the ship launched. Tony Tillman was the Headliner and he certainly qualifies as an RCI regular; his show does not change much from cruise to cruise. So we were again looking to the live music as our primary evening entertainment. And this is where we were really let down.

Since the dry-dock, one musical group has been eliminated completely and the hours of other acts have been scaled back. The dropped combo used to perform in the late, lamented Viking Crown and typically performed pop, soft rock, and occasionally standards – all favorites of ours. Rather than finding a different venue for this act, RCI killed it off altogether.

Before the dry-dock there was usually cocktail hour/early evening music in one venue, especially on sea days. On this cruise there was nothing. Before the dry-dock, the band in Dazzles often started at 7:30 or 8:00 PM. This cruise, they only started before 9:00 on one night. Additionally, they took two (or maybe three) nights off completely, more time off than used to be the case. The only music that was consistently available between 7 PM and 9 PM was the classical duo. They were fine, but not really as up-tempo as were looking for. Also, their venue was Central Park. In August. In the Caribbean. Not exactly the most comfortable spot to listen to music, especially on formal nights.

In their defense, RCI did open the Jazz Club earlier than they used to on a couple of nights (but only a couple). And the piano player at the Schooner Bar was very good if you didn’t mind waiting until 9:15 or 9:30 for him to get started. For some of us crossing that 60-year line, though, 10:30 or 11:00 is about all we can manage before bed time. One set and we’re out.

There were a couple other issues with this cruise as well. My Time dining is now on Deck 3 which seems both noisier and more crowded than Deck 5 used to be. And Sabor on Oasis is not nearly the experience as Sabor on Freedom. The menu is considerably smaller and the food, except for the excellent guacamole, is less well-prepared. Food quality, IMO, remains one of RCI’s greatest challenges, but this is nothing new.

We fully understand that we are outside of RCI’s target demographic. And we also understand that our circumstances are somewhat unique. Even after almost six years there likely aren’t all that many folks who have completed ten cruises on Oasis-class. If you’ve not cruised this class before I can heartily recommend it, especially if you are travelling with children or teens. Still, one feels a certain sadness when one recognizes that an experience that one has long enjoyed is no longer as enjoyable. Nothing for it though but to move on down the road. Other than one upcoming cruise on Serenade on which we were able to get an insanely low price, we'll see you on NCL, Princess, or Carnival.

Rich

Hey..no need to apologize or explain! Been there, done that happens! That's why there are so many different lines....I'm sure you'll find something new and exciting, but you've pretty much worn out RCI! There are only so many times you can do the same thing over and over and over and over.....

All of the cruise lines are trying to attract NEW cruisers....they know they'll lose some customers over time, but they are really striving to attract those to whom the experience will be new and exciting.

Outstanding, well thought out post. I'm sure many people feel the same way, us included. We have a B2B, on the Allure in October, and a B2B on Celebrity Silhouette in December. After this, we have nothing planned. If this is it, we'll have about 415 days at sea, with almost 300 on RCL and Celebrity. We will return to land based vacations as we still think RCL/Celebrity is the leader in the mass market cruise industry, but just by a hair. Cruising is still cheaper than land vacations, but money isn't everything if you aren't happy when it's over.

Let the flames begin...

We are just a few years behind you, have around 250 days at sea and have cruised Royal and Celebrity exclusively since NYE 2000. My suggestion is to check out Celebrity. It's been a few years since we have done X so I am unsure of their music situation but it may be more for you. Sorry your experiences have been disappointing. Just goes to show that no one line can please everyone. While we can find little things on each cruise, we always make adjustments and have a great time. I do find that the music offerings vary widely ship to ship. And while I love Cats (musical theater in general), you are definitely in the minority on it being a valid choice for a cruise show. I agree it is a lovely and artistic event, I understand why it's not doing well onboard. Too long and too "intellectual" for most cruisers. Not a slam against cruisers either - it's not a show that works well with the upbeat vacation mindset we have on a cruise.

I do agree that Royal is positioning itself more and more to a younger, active and family demographic. Think about adding Celebrity to your roster.

Cruising is still cheaper than land vacations, but money isn't everything if you aren't happy when it's over.

Let the flames begin...

No flames here, grandgeezer...

There are TOO many options out there for vacationing, and everybody wants the best bang for their buck. You should always do what makes the most sense for you. I agree with your last sentiment wholeheartedly.

Completely agree. We noticed this on Grandeur and Legend. The lack of continuous music is very disappointing. Often we skipped dinner so we could here the little music available. On a positive note we had good music on radiance but often the two bands played at exact same times and the big set was 10:15 to midnight. If there was nothing to do until 10:00 we would go to bed and skip the last set.

snip... Other than one upcoming cruise on Serenade on which we were able to get an insanely low price, we'll see you on NCL, Princess, or Carnival.

Rich

I also agree. Your post was very well thought out and points well made. My only comment is that if your biggest issue is the lack of live music is the cause for your departure from RCCL, I don't think you'll be any happier on a Carnival cruise. There's even less live music on that line. Enjoy your future vacations.

Well Written Rich. We have seen quite a few things we loved on RCI disappear over the years. I have not reached the point of breaking the ties as yet though. I see you cruise 3 to 4 times a year and if I did that I may feel cruised out. Its for this reason we mix up cruising with land vacations. But we are all different and I understand that.

Well written summary by the original poster.

Everyone has different tastes, and its reasonable to understand how experiencing the same thing more than twice or three times could become mundane over time.

It might be a good opportunity to leverage your (obvious) high status with RCI on some of the Celebrity ships - since your status will be honored there at a compatible level.

Since the ships are different, the entertainment not the same, and the food generally reported to be "a step up"...it might just be a good way to move on with your cruising enjoyment with new experiences.

Let me also echo the many compliments from others on a truly well-thought post.

Importantly one that calls RCL to task in an area that hasn't been mercilessly flogged like a dead horse and does so in a way that avoids drama and hyperbole.

Edited by MichaelCMTX

I must comend you also for sharing your thoughts and summary in such a well organized way.

You can tell you really spent some time writing this review.

Although not as experienced in cruising as you, but probably close in age, we too noticed a change in the RCI "cruising experience" from our previous cruises.

The Oasis (August 1, 2015 sailing) as missing something......we thought at first it was the lack of enthusiam of the workers.......no, I think you identified it more specifically--that being the flexibility and variety that used to be present with RCI.

Don't get me wrong the Oasis is a big and beautiful ship, and we look forward to going back on the Allure next year....I can only hope it is the Allure we sailed and loved before.

Thanks again.

Edited by Lionesss

Thanks for your post. Although I am a big RCI and Oasis Class fan, I see where you are coming from...

However, I don't think you'll find much difference if you switch over to NCL or Carnival. I don't know your previous cruising experience with those lines, but that's just my opinion. Princess on the other hand, gives a very nice product. We liked our one cruise on them, we just prefer the RCI atmosphere.

we'll see you on NCL, Princess, or Carnival.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

My highest congratulations on both a well written, well thought out OP AND in not getting set upon by the mad horde.

We don't have anywhere near your nights at sea but after 14 cruises (with one more on Majesty in March) we are seriously looking at all inclusives, at least for awhile. RCI, and cruises in general, have declined in perceived value for us, even after only 10 years.

Best of luck in your new search.

Edited by JohnGaltny

I appreciate your thoughtful post. We too feel that enough changes have happened with RCL that we are trying Celebrity next year.

Cruising on the same ships, we've seen the same entertainment multiple times. Tony Tillman puts on a nice show, but the 4th or 5th time, it loses its appeal. Not RCL's fault.

Perhaps we have hit a saturation point with RCL. Not a complaint, just an observation.

Enjoy your future cruises!

Cruising on the same ships, we've seen the same entertainment multiple times. Tony Tillman puts on a nice show, but the 4th or 5th time, it loses its appeal. Not RCL's fault.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but I have a question about Tony Tillman... Is he constantly on RCI ships? I saw him on the Oasis in May, and I'm booked on the Allure in Feb, is there a chance I'll be seeing him again?

Good luck. Enjoy your new experiences. Sounds like a good time for you to have a change.

You might feel sad about it, but I'm sure you will be glad that you spread your wings and try other lines. Variety is the spice of life, and the competition is surprisingly good, in our opinion :)

We are RCCL fans, have done a dozen or more cruises on RCCL, but I think everyone should try other lines, we have done approx. 60 cruises and have never done same line more than 4 times in a row, almost every line offers something different. But I hope RCCL listens we would like music from 6pm to 2am if possible, I might be over 60 but I will stay up to the see hours if the entertainment is good.

... And while I love Cats (musical theater in general), you are definitely in the minority on it being a valid choice for a cruise show. I agree it is a lovely and artistic event, I understand why it's not doing well onboard. Too long and too "intellectual" for most cruisers. Not a slam against cruisers either - it's not a show that works well with the upbeat vacation mindset we have on a cruise..
Not to steal this thread, but I'm positive you were talking about me when you made that statement. All we knew about Cats is that it had been on Broadway for years. We went to see it on the Oasis and ended up walking out during the intermission. Could not understand any of what was going on.

As soon as we got home, I Googled "Cats" and read up on most everything I could find. I now have a pretty good understanding of what the whole plot line is about. After seeing the 1st act and now reading what it's about, I do feel people have to have at least a general understanding of the story in order to enjoy it. We didn't and we didn't. We're going back on the Oasis the end of November and are actually looking forward to sitting thru the complete musical this time.

Tim