Dress code question for recent Oasis passengers

We are perfectly happy to eat in the buffet on formal nights but I see on some posts here that men have not been required to wear a jacket on formal nights in the MDR. Just wanted to check if this is what recent passengers have noticed.

Thanks

Don't miss formal night in the MDR just because you don't want to wear a jacket. Formal nights offer the nicest menus (IMHO) and you will be fine dressed nicely, but without a jacket.

Just returned from the Oasis.

You do not need a jacket for formal night. We had second seating. The majority of men were wearing suits/jackets, but definitely not all of them. Many had dress shirts and ties.

A lot of passengers from Asia and South America. There were also Europeans and Canadians - a very mixed bunch of nationalities. Did not notice any shorts on formal nights - other nights there might have been a few, but for the most part everyone stuck to the "suggested guidelines" each evening.

Many folks don't conform to the dress code!

I am always surprised to notice just the opposite in the dining room on formal night. People dressed up nicely and did conform to the code. There were a few people who didn't, but a huge number did.

We were on the Allure 3 weeks ago and I was shocked with the number of people who dressed WAY up for Formal night. It was much more than ever before...i really didn't see many people who didn't conform to the dress code throughout the cruise in the MDR compared to other cruises.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are perfectly happy to eat in the buffet on formal nights but I see on some posts here that men have not been required to wear a jacket on formal nights in the MDR. Just wanted to check if this is what recent passengers have noticed.

Thanks

RCCL does NOT have a mandatory dress code on any of its ships. It's only a SUGGESTED GUIDELINE and states so on RCCL's website .

Go eat in the MDR even without a jacket and enjoy !

On the Allure, a few weeks ago, the formal nights was respected by the vast majority. With the number of people, I would say, maybe I saw 10 guys without a jacket on. I'm sure there were more, but the ones I saw was still dressed up, with a tie on. I may have seen one guy with a polo shirt on. Think it said Carnival on it also. I may have missed it. This went the same for Kids! They were mostly wearing a tie on boys, and girls were all dressed up.

Summary - You can still eat in the MDR, but the "suggested" dress code, is a nice way of saying what you should wear. Some people think the word "suggested" should be taken literally and you can wear anything you want. The word "suggested" is used often in the service industry since it is a word that does not sound too harsh. The "suggested" tip is 15% is often stated in tourist areas that see many foreign tourist. It's a nice reminder, using kind words to say please tip 15%. You will see the use of this word often as a way of telling people what is expected of them, for various situations.

We were on the Allure 3 weeks ago and I was shocked with the number of people who dressed WAY up for Formal night. It was much more than ever before...i really didn't see many people who didn't conform to the dress code throughout the cruise in the MDR compared to other cruises.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Totally agree - see my post #5 from the Oasis.

We had a lot of large family reunion/anniversary groups - all looked great on picture night - they were formally dressed and getting great pictures, especially on the staircases.

I'll probably get flamed, but I do think the large number of nationalities had something to do with it. I think sometimes in the U.S. that we use the "airline baggage" thing as an excuse. Overseas guests fly and manage to follow the suggested guidelines!

My son and daughter in law are traveling to Alaska with their two year old in the new books it does not say anything about formal nights and dress code anymore. He does not want to start with a tie with a little one and is just packing nice pants and a button down collared shirt.

Many folks don't conform to the dress code!

It's NOT a code ( morse is a code) ...... beautifully explained here :

RCCL does NOT have a mandatory dress code on any of its ships. It's only a SUGGESTED GUIDELINE and states so on RCCL's website .

Go eat in the MDR even without a jacket and enjoy !

Totally agree - see my post #5 from the Oasis.

We had a lot of large family reunion/anniversary groups - all looked great on picture night - they were formally dressed and getting great pictures, especially on the staircases.

I'll probably get flamed, but I do think the large number of nationalities had something to do with it. I think sometimes in the U.S. that we use the "airline baggage" thing as an excuse. Overseas guests fly and manage to follow the suggested guidelines!

That has been our experience. The US passengers we have met onboard have almost uniformly given the airline luggage restrictions as the reason they don't dress up or wear a suit jacket - or the "I have to dress for work, I'm on vacation, as if somehow those of us who live overseas don't have to dress a certain way for work. lol (And no, we don't ask, could care less what a person wears as long as they are actually wearing clothes! Most people volunteer it when commenting on how nice either I or my husband look in our formal wear - he wears a tux at least one formal night & a suit the other, while I am in cocktail dresses both nights)

We obviously have to fly for every one of our cruises, and manage to conform to the suggested dress guidelines with no problems- or else we pay the extra baggage fee, which is minimal in light of the entire trip's cost (much more expensive than for those of you from the US, that's for sure!).

Edited by reedprincess

Thanks for all your non- judgmental replies. I usually sail Celebrity and people would not have been so pleasant on their board!

LOL. You havent read many dress code threads here have you :)

Does it really take away from the experience if the guy next to you isn't wearing a suit and tie on formal night? .

It doesnt take away from mine. As long as he isnt sitting there in his underwear, I dont really care. Shorts, jeans, whatever. I dont care.

Its really only an issue here anyway or at least people onboard arent so bold to bash because they arent hiding anonymously behind a keyboard.

Embarrassing story ..... we mixed up what night was formal and turned up at the MDR in tshirts and shorts!!! We were appropriately mortified. Especially because we brought VERY formal clothing specifically for formal night. Sooooo, the next night, we had a "private" formal night and wore our fancy dress to the MDR! :)

I just got off the allure yesterday.

I specifically noticed on formal night that a group showed up with the men in shorts and polo shirts and the women had on ripped jeans and tank tops. They let the women in but told the men that they had to change out of the shorts

You see everything from black tie to jeans on formal night.