New Carnival Inc Marketing Program

RocketMan275

Carnival CEO announces new market program. Interesting comment near the bottom. "...The loyalty component, Donald mentioned in his Monday call, will be added later. "Definitely plans are in the works for a loyalty program that would cut across the nine brands. We do not have that ready yet, but it's coming down the pike."

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6072

I wish they would not combine programs. It would just put that many more Elites on the Princess cruises.

I'm not sure that's effectively true. Look at the bigger picture. What it does to is encourage people who are established on one Carnival Corp. brand to venture out and try another brand without going back to 'blue card' status on other lines.

With Princess (and probably other lines) changing their target markets and my own demographic inevitably changing as the years progress, I'd love the opportunity to check out HAL and even Seabourn while still being recognized with perks as an experienced and loyal cruise passenger.

I'd expect to see cross-over Elites on Princess but to me it seems likely Princess Elites will cross-over to other brands as well. In that respect the total net gain of Elites and the other brand equivalents should be zero.

Plus it would probably mean the loss of Elite perks. Princess should go by days, not by # of cruises.

Pam, I have always respected what you have to say. But on this we better be aware of what we ask for. At the same level on Carnival and Princess, 7 cruises, my perks on Princess is much better. If they change that to include all just in level it would be nice. but if we loose perks that one line offers to make it all the same, that might not be so good. With a trip on HAL I have 15 cruises, would that make me Elite. I am not so sure. I want to see the details.

Also, Carnival has many more short cruises than Princess. So if the number of cruises was a factor as it is in the Captain's Circle now, there would be many Elites.

When Princess changed thei loyalality program two years ago, they went to days, not number of cruises. Princess is now offering short crusies as well. That might be why they are considering a change.

When Princess changed thei loyalality program two years ago, they went to days, not number of cruises. Princess is now offering short crusies as well. That might be why they are considering a change.

Isn't the Princess program based on days OR number of cruise credits?

Should be interesting to see how this shakes out ... sounds more like loyalty to the corporation rather than to a specific brand or cruiseline ... and I think this could turn into a slippery slope ... imagine you are elite on Princess with 500 plus days and when you sail on Holland America you are offered a 50 percent discount on a 100 - minute Internet pkg:eek:

Some of the CCL lines have way more robust loyalty programs than others, and I think it will be difficult to offer a program that truly is fair to all passengers across all lines, without hacking off higher level people with measly offerings that are much less than what they already have earned on one or two CCL lines. Maybe they are thinking of maintaining the current individual programs for each line, with plans to offer an across the board fare discount based on total CCL sailings?

We shall see.

Edited by pms4104

I agree... we shall see. I think the most equitable solution would not be a one for one situation. If you're at the top rank at, say HAL, then you'd be given Platinum benefits, but not Elite. That'd work for me...

They also could move to the new airline model. Days(miles) plus a required level of spend on fares.

I'm sure the biggest problem for them is going to be how to "grandfather" existing levels into any new system. No matter what they do, they're gonna PO a good portion of their loyalty base. :p

OK, so just thinking here. Lately we have occasionally thought that maybe a cruise or two with Carnival out of Tampa Bay would be neat because my Brother-in-law recently moved there. Or, a cruise on an HAL ship might be a nice experience. The only thing we keep thinking is that a little acknowlegment for our cruises with the CCL group (yes, mostly Princesss so far, but, even so....) would be nice. So, maybe a partial credit, or at least something that has some kind of receprocity for loyalty to the Carnival Group would be appreciated. Maybe this has some good potential.

Consolidating disparate loyalty programs is a tricky proposition to gain the cross-over benefits without diluting the benefits for any group(s). It also involves controlling the numbers in each tier where meaningful hard costs are incurred for the benefits.

The primary goal would be to entice any brand switchers to go to a CCL brand versus a competitor. If all it does is end up moving the same number of total pax around the portfolio they gain little unless there is meaningful migration from lower to higher margin sailings.

If they could somehow adequately meld benefits across the brands it is also conceivable to raise the criteria so the numbers within tiers aren't inflated and thus their loyalty program costs don't escalate.

A plausible scenario is to go to a totally new qualification metric (e.g. dollars spent) with a totally new set of tiers and associated benefits (often including/bringing back a few favorites). This could help (a) provide a competitive advantage, (b) mask the changes so direct pre-/post-comparisons are more difficult, and © have revenue/margin upside while being cost-neutral.

As I said, this is a tricky proposition to have it appear win-win which is likely why it is taking years to come to fruition.

Edited by KruzeKrazy!

They also could move to the new airline model. Days(miles) plus a required level of spend on fares.

isn't it Cunard that requires a certain amount of spend or a certain number of days per year to maintain the highest levels? It's more complicated than other loyalty programs.

I would not be surprised if they eventually do this....the airlines and hotels are going more and more to not how many times you fly or stay but how much you spend to achieve status...

Celebrity does something along this line. They give points based on cabin type, not actual dollars spent. I know Princess gives extra credit for full suites vs. other categories, but X has a point value assigned to each cabin type, insides to suites.

I'd expect to see that status would also have to be earned each year or two to maintain whatever level. Which means if you take an extended break from cruising, you would actually lose your status.

Of course, the cruise lines could monetize the upper level perks. Similar to Carnival's "first to the fun", or US Airways "Preferred Access" offering priority check in and expedited security lanes. I can see having paid access to the Elite lounge, even as a lowly Blue Card holder!

I am in favor of combining the Loyalty programs across lines. For some of the longtime cruisers ( like hubby, sons and I ) it would make the choice to try "new lines" easier. Although I am now Platinum on Princess, the decision to try Princess at first was difficult since I had already achieved Platinum on Carnival (very very close to Elite on Carnival). I will admit to missing those perks that we had earned, and that was a factor in our decision to stay with Carnival as long as we did

Yes, in some respects it would increase the number of Elites, but on the other hand (especially in my case) it would have made it easier to try new lines. I do think my loyalty to the "Carnival/Princess" brand should be rewarded, and that from a marketing standpoint it would be a plus for the brand.