Coca-Cola Freestyle Machine

SNJCruisers

Just read about Holland Americas new beverage package program and it says that the Koningsdam has a Freestyle machine on it and it's included. Obviously the exclusivity factor of RCI being the only cruise line to have the machines at sea has expired and Carnival Corporation goes and puts it on HAL instead of their "Family Friendly" cruise line? This makes zero marketing sense. Kids like it because they don't have to wait in line and they have more drink choices. Adults like it because the lines are shorter at some bars because kids are not getting their bottomless bubbles refilled and the diet soda choices are much greater than just Diet Coke, Coke Zero and Sprite Zero. Finally, bartenders like it because they don't have to worry about kids and sodas and they can concentrate on making drinks and thus making more money.

These things are showing up in more & more fast food places. I don't care for them. First off, I always get behind the people who can't figure them out or can't decide with all the choices. But worse is that these things only have a single dispenser, as opposed to the older style fountains where you can get a couple people filling up at once on the same fountain. Not to mention places often have a couple of the older fountains and only one freestyle machine. In my experience, they've made lines worse.

These things are showing up in more & more fast food places. I don't care for them. First off, I always get behind the people who can't figure them out or can't decide with all the choices. But worse is that these things only have a single dispenser, as opposed to the older style fountains where you can get a couple people filling up at once on the same fountain. Not to mention places often have a couple of the older fountains and only one freestyle machine. In my experience, they've made lines worse.

Too funny Chaos. I was at Firehouse subs yesterday with my 76 year old mom. She just stood there and stared at the freestyle machine for 2 minutes. Not knowing what to do. Had to do it for her.

You can't compare your experience with the machines in your home town at a fast food venue versus the convenience factor of using them on a cruise. Having first hand experience with them on the Explorer of the Seas, I can tell you it was nice. They were located in the buffet area of the Windjammer lounge as well as the promenade area, which was great because of the 24 hour access. Bartenders only had to deal with the occasional kid who did not have his cup, so they used their sail card to get a drink from the soda gun, so that gave them extra time to get beers and blend drinks.

There has to be cross contamination of the different syrups going through the same dispensor

It would be terrible to get a couple of drops of Sprite syrup in my Coke. I demand a full refund of my cruise:')

Too funny Chaos. I was at Firehouse subs yesterday with my 76 year old mom. She just stood there and stared at the freestyle machine for 2 minutes. Not knowing what to do. Had to do it for her.

Don't get behind me. Lol. I hate those machines.

Too many choices and too many menu options. Just getting ice and water is a major PITA. Find they take too long even when people know the sequence for their choice, let alone someone like me who has to read every single choice, then do it a second time to select my choice.

Also hate the new video menus that alternate thru the different choices.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree with those not liking the machines. You'll get a lot of people who don't know how to use them or can't make up their mind and there will be a huge line. I would rather wait at a bar for a soda. If there is a long line, you can always go to another bar.

There has to be cross contamination of the different syrups going through the same dispensor

I always make my boss go second when we are at lunch and faced with one. I don't want any of his gross diet stuff going into my peach and raspberry Fanta.

But, to be fair, when out with my wife and she gets her whatever, I haven't noticed anything weird tasting in mine. And you can always let a shot of plain water run through the tap before getting anything.

Of course on a carnival ship the current process is wait in line to get a bartenders attention, have them pour a warm can of pop over ice, print out a receipt and make you sign it. I'll take the machine.

You can't compare your experience with the machines in your home town at a fast food venue versus the convenience factor of using them on a cruise.
Fast food in my home town? Not here. We have to drive 15-20 minutes for the nearest fast food. Unless you count the people who eat venison. That food is pretty darn fast. :D

Why can't they be compared? Using them is the same no matter where the machine is. And actually, there will probably be a lot more people using them on the cruise than in a fast food restaurant. Same scenario...they stand there staring at them trying to figure out how they work or they can't make up their mind. It'd definitely be interesting to see what happens if Carnival installed them.

I agree with those not liking the machines. You'll get a lot of people who don't know how to use them or can't make up their mind and there will be a huge line. I would rather wait at a bar for a soda. If there is a long line, you can always go to another bar.

Have you cruised on Royal and experienced it first hand? It's different than at your local Wendy's or Burger King. You also have multiple locations on the ship and you can always go to a bar as well.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

Edited by SNJCruisers

I don't like them since people have to touch those things multiple times. It's just gross. I don't know where all those nasty people's fingers have been

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

The same thing can be said about the buttons on the elevators or the hand rails on the stairs.

Fast food in my home town? Not here. We have to drive 15-20 minutes for the nearest fast food. Unless you count the people who eat venison. That food is pretty darn fast. :D

Why can't they be compared? Using them is the same no matter where the machine is. And actually, there will probably be a lot more people using them on the cruise than in a fast food restaurant. Same scenario...they stand there staring at them trying to figure out how they work or they can't make up their mind. It'd definitely be interesting to see what happens if Carnival installed them.

I have first hand experience with them almost five years ago on the Explorer of the Seas. The longest line I encountered was two people in the Windjammer buffet. The best thing was the 24 hour availability on the promenade. And of course the Sprite Zero and Coke Zero variations.

I'm with you. I hate them. The coke tastes terrible. If I see those machines, I order a glass of water. The good news is I'm saving oodles of $$$.

I have used it both at local different fast food places

and the Royal ships.....same machine. I prefer like previous posters, that it can be faster than bar, card,warm soda with ice, signature !

I also like that I can mix cherry 🍒 coke wirh Vanilla Coke :cool:

Of course on a carnival ship the current process is wait in line to get a bartenders attention, have them pour a warm can of pop over ice, print out a receipt and make you sign it. I'll take the machine.

This, this, a thousand times THIS.

I'd be VERY happy if Carnival installed some of these on their ships. After all, there's nowhere else on Earth I can get a Raspberry Diet Coke.* :)

I sailed on Majesty OTS when they had soda fountain machines -- pre-FreeStyle -- and thought it was so cool that I could get a soda late at night when the bars were all closed...and at other times without having to bother a bartender.

Regarding the mixing of flavors, the machines are designed to send a "cleansing" blast of water through the line to clear it, but if it's really an issue, after you choose your flavor just run it for a second and then put your cup under the spout. Heinous problem solved!

While there has been a bit of a learning curve with the FreeStyle machines, they've now become fairly pervasive at eateries. I've seen them everywhere from Wendy's to Burger King to Six Flags (just installed six new ones here, with four others already in the park) to Fuddruckers Burgers to Firehouse Subs, so the number of people who have never seen or interacted with one keeps dropping.

Having seen the machines' inner workings close-up, they really ARE nifty machines. Not cheap, either: each one is $50,000 to purchase, or an additional $300/month to lease.

My only suggestion would be to have a sign on the machine saying "Get your ice first, THEN decide on your flavor" as it would save time.

---

* Except possibly at the World of Coca-Cola Museum in Atlanta, which has a huge variety. Don't try the "Beverly" :o

This would be awesome!!!! I only drink fountain soda

I agree. I love fountain soda! I'm not a soda drinker but when I do want one, it has to be fountain. If they had these machines, I would definitely splurge for the bottomless bubbles.