Cruise virgin: Anything unusual I should bring with me in luggage?

There are lots and lots of packing or must have threads on CC. The problem is that most of the items on most of the threads are totally unnecessary and if you took everything that everyone says that you must have, you will be taking 6 suitcases of useless junk. Just use common sense and you will be OK and if you forget something your will manage w/o it.

DON

Since you can't take a traditional surge suppressor / outlet strip you might find a 4 way cord splitter like this helpful if you have a lot of gadgets. It's long enough to plug in behind the TV and use the plugs for your gadgets at the base of the TV.

If the link doesn't work search Amazon for "C2G / Cables To Go 29803 18IN 16 AWG 1-to-4"

https://www.amazon.com/C2G-Cables-29803-Power-Splitter/dp/B000083KIH/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1484936213&sr=8-1&keywords=C2G+29803

We also take an Apple TV along with us to stream photos/music/videos from an iPhone. It works without having to connect to the internet. On the Caribbean Princess we were able to switch the input on the TV the HDMI port the Apple TV was plugged into. I think on the newer ships that may not be possible.

I agree with Don, just about everything that you need but forgot can either be found on the ship or you really can live without.

Having said that, we like our cabin dark at night and I keep a couple of binder clips in my toilet kit. I use them for keeping the drapes closed (they don't always meet).

Enjoy your cruise.

First time cruiser on a 14 day to abc then cozumel. Trying to pack and finding myself feeling like I will most certainly forget something useful. Any tips would be appreciated.

The walls in the cabin will hold magnets. I bring several clip magnets to hold the daily patter (initial patter usually has the cruise at a glance....save this on the wall to keep track of the cruise...formal nights ... hours in port ), shore excursion tickets etc. also have magnets with hook to hang ball caps/ sun hats/ sweater for cool dining room

highlighters to mark patter

Pop up hamper to hold dirty clothes

led candles to help light the room a little at night

small flash light

lanyard to hold cruise card

Since you can't take a traditional surge suppressor / outlet strip you might find a 4 way cord splitter like this helpful if you have a lot of gadgets.

Can't carry a power strip? Really? Where'd you get that? I've carreide a power strip onboard (now without surge suppression) every cruise and never been stopped, nor had problems leaving it on the desktop in full view. And unlike meat cleavers and hand grenades, they'r not on the forbidden list.

Can't carry a power strip? Really? Where'd you get that? I've carreide a power strip onboard (now without surge suppression) every cruise and never been stopped, nor had problems leaving it on the desktop in full view. And unlike meat cleavers and hand grenades, they'r not on the forbidden list.

Power strips WITH surge protection aren't supposed to be brought on board because of fire hazard BUT they'll never say a word or stop you. Possibly the checkers don't have the time to look very closely or they just don't know or care.

They'll also never say a word at the muster drill. Strange if they really cared so much.

Instead of "...Since you can't take a traditional surge suppressor / outlet strip..."

I should have said "...a traditional outlet strip with surge protection...

Yes you can take an outlet strip that does NOT contain a surge suppressor.

I would also add just because someone used one in the past, a strip WITH surge suppression, and it wasn't taken it doesn't mean it's safe or won't burst into flames on a future cruise if/when a voltage spike occurs.

There are very few items that I would say are "musts" to pack, but I do agree that the number and placement of outlets is insufficient to meet the needs of most people. So, we take a couple of gadgets that provide modest extensions and additional outlet options along. Nothing with a surge protector.

We always carry a very small flashlight when we travel, hotels or ships, just in case of power outages to navigate dark spaces. Only once did a ship we were on lose power...we were glad to have it then.

We do travel with a small supply of duct tape - it fixes luggage that the airlines ruin...fixes a ripped hem, but having it along is purely your choice.

We also make sure we travel with some small bills for tipping room service. Optional as well.

And we each carry a different credit card that will be able to get us both home in an emergency. Not optional to us.

Most people do have ziplock bags just because of the way that they have to pack to fly. I make sure to have a couple quart sized ziplocks so that I can put two damp wash cloths into them to take along on shore excursions in tropical locales. it is so nice to be able to put a cool cloth on the back of your neck, wipe off your sweaty face, wipe off hands. etc, when you've been on an excursion a good part of the day. And something that will be a good tote bag for any beach-based excursions can be helpful. We also don't pack a pop up hamper, we pack kitchen sized drawstring garbage bags (clean ones please, lol) to use for dirty clothes, and they can also be used if you have to pack damp items to go home.

Everything I have mentioned takes up very little space.......

Include in your carry on anything you think you might want access to (beyond meds, valuables, & toiletries) while waiting for your luggage to get to your cabin, though most of the time luggage arrives pretty quickly.

Some items to consider: change of shoes and/or clothes, swim suit, sweater or light jacket in case it's too cool for you on the ship.

We Always take a supply of OTC Cold medicines, like cough suppressant tablets, decongestant, cough drops, aspirin or other headache medicine, tums, whatever you normally use when you get a cold. While some of these items can be purchased in the ship's store they come in small packages, are expensive and may not be available at the time you need them. Some of these items can also be found in ports, but pharmacy stores may not be near the pier. We also bring a package of Bonnine, meclizine hcl, chewable, less drowsy, motion sickness tablets in case of rough seas. I carry a few tablets with me on the ship at all times, since you have to take them in advance of getting sea sick.

Hope you don't need them, but it's good to be prepared.

Pants. I always take pants. :D

Since you are going to Mexico I would recommend sun screen and a hat. Sunglasses as well.

I agree with others above that almost all of the "must have" items listed elsewhere on this site are superfluous. Be sure to have a valid credit card (let your bank know you are traveling!!!) and small amount of emergency cash. US dollars are fine in Mexico and almost everything can be purchased with a credit card.

Every time I travel I take OTC meds that I might need with me. I use an empty pill bottle with the lavel removed and put aspirin, Allevr, Benedryl and Tums in it. I then put it in my shaving kit. This way I always have a supply with me. Has come in handy several times. I also carry several bandaids and medical tape. Just in case.

Agree with OTC meds, also bandaides, tweezers for stickers or splinters. We travel frequently, and keep a small bag packed with the above items. Replenish when we get home and are ready to go without having to worry about forgetting things. Also make a list during trip of things you forgot and did not need for the next trip.

Have a great time! All good suggestions. I always carry a few plastic trash bags for dirty clothes, a variety of OTC meds as others have mentioned, a little first aid kit, and a corkscrew.

Thankfully, I had the first aid kit on my recent cruise when DH decided to cut his finger on the corkscrew :D

I also carry a few extra quart/gallon sized baggies. Also on my recent cruise, a potential suitcase mishap was avoided when my hairspray went nuts. I pulled out an intact baggie containing several of my toiletry items with sticky hairspray all over the inside of the baggie!

The two most useful items we continue to bring are first a selection of small super strong magnets (amazingmagnets.com) for holding excursion tickets and reminders. We usually leave them with the room steward so she/he can attach items to their cabin wall. And second a small electrical terminal strip with 110 v AC and USB charging ports. The 110v AC outlets are limited in the cabins. Just be sure the unit doesn't also serve as a surge suppressor as those are no longer allowed.

We use lanyards for our cruise cards also. You can purchase the lanyards onboard if you don't wish to pack them. The attendants at the service desk or ship's store will punch a hole in each card so it can be easily attached to each lanyard.

Your cruise card is you door key, how you purchase items onboard and your pass to get off the ship and back on at your stops.

Have a great cruise.

Edited by GranJean

Pants. I always take pants. :D

This made me laugh as I once packed for our trip and left my husband's pants on the back of the door at home....he survived with one pair of jeans and we did specialty dining on formal night....sigh.....

If you have a number of electronic doodads (I'm guilty of this) I recommend not bringing individual chargers/power bricks for each device. I use a 5-port USB charger:

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Charger-PowerPort-Multi-Port-Samsung/dp/B00VH8ZW02/

I have 2 lightning cables, 2 micro-usb cables and an Apple Watch charging cable to plug into this. I can charge my iPhone (used as my camera), iPad, Kindle, bluetooth earbuds and my Apple Watch simultaneously. I also recommend using 1-foot long cables to eliminate cable clutter. Also don't get a charger which plugs directly into the wall since it may be difficult to find an outlet which will accept it - this one has a cord to plug into the wall.

This charger is pretty small - 3.6 × 2.3 × 1.0 in. This is much smaller than carrying all of your other chargers. This charger also supports multiple voltages (100-240v AC). I recently used it in Australia without any issues.

A pleasant attitude and good manners don't take up luggage room,but can make a cruise a happy experience!

Also, the shampoo/conditioner provided in the shower dispensers is not the best. Many people find it difficult to comb out their hair after using it.

Suggestion - pack your favorite brand of shampoo and conditioner.

We bring a battery pack for our cell phone and camera.

We did a 17 day canal transit. I looked at my wife and asked if she had packed the camera. She just looked back and said she thought I had packed it. D'Oh! At least the phone takes good pictures but the camera would definitely have been better to have. The next cruise we both double checked to make sure we had it along. :rolleyes:

We did a 17 day canal transit. I looked at my wife and asked if she had packed the camera. She just looked back and said she thought I had packed it. D'Oh! At least the phone takes good pictures but the camera would definitely have been better to have. The next cruise we both double checked to make sure we had it along. :rolleyes:

I packed a camera then drowned it in my bag:( glad my friend took lots of pics. On our Panama Canal I took two cameras, my phone & iPad along with battery charger. Lots of memories!!

Special stuff for the Caribbean? Our indulgences are a small powerful set of binoculars, our own snorkel gear (so much better than rentals), packets of OFF, and our coffee go-cups (great for early morning ship walks). We also purchased waterproof lanyard-style cases to hold cash, credit cards and room keys while at the beach. Any I love having my slippers for hanging out on the balcony.

Have a blast. Anything you forget, you can buy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD