Bridge Tours?

NeedAVacayNOW

I would post this on the Carnival Cruise Line Board.

Most cruise lines do not allow tours of the bridge due to security issues. I would think that Carnival does not allow it but always wist to post specific cruise line questions on the cruise line board.

Keith

My husband is dying to go on a bridge tour. We're cruising on Carnival Pride in December - anyone have any tips/hints on how to make that happen? :)

Take the Behind The Scenes Tour. You sign up for it the day you embark, do it first thing. A very nice tour of the bridge is part of a three hour tour of the ship, the galley and other behind the scenes areas except the actual engine room. You do get to visit the engine control room and see the engines on flat panel monitors.

It's a great deal of walking and climbing steps, and they require close toe shoes. All those that participate are screened by security for cameras and cell phones.

We've been twice, both were really fun.

Edited by BallFour4

on Royal you can REQUEST one if you are in a suite or a higher loyalty level.

but the days of anyone and everyone getting access( with or without paying for it) are gone.

It helps to be Navy or Coast Guard and wear the Mess Dress uniform at the Captain's Reception.

Most lines have "Behind the scenes" thype tour. This includes the bridge plus other areas of interest.(Engine control room, Galley, etc)

I have been on a roll call that was invited to the bridge also.(Not guaranteed though)

On Carnival, it is called the Behind the Fun tour. It costs about $95pp, lasts several hours, involved lots of stairs. No cellphones or cameras allowed. You can only sign up onboard, go to the excursion desk or guest services as soon as you board, as space is limited. More information is available on the Carnival board under Cruise Lines A-O. If you go there and use the search function, you will find man threads and reviews. EM

On Princess, you can sign up for "deluxe" events like anniversaries, renewal of vows, etc. In the deluxe package you get a bridge tour thrown in.

On my bridge tour, the captain said to keep it quiet because only the people who select this option get to tour the bridge.

It helps to be Navy or Coast Guard and wear the Mess Dress uniform at the Captain's Reception.

Always works for me . . .

shameless.jpg

sounding the ship's whistle ... Disney Wonder

AimeHorn.jpg

Edited by Capt_BJ

On HAL those of us who stayed in what is now called the Neptune Suites and the Pinnacle Suites did get a tour of the bridge if we wanted one. Then 9/11 happened and they ended.

Now HAL has the Behind the Scene Tours offered only on the Vista and Signature class ships which includes a bridge tour -- $150 per person. But it is not always available all the time on those ships.

We got a complimentary tour of the bridge while on HAL a few years ago. We were part of a small group (iirc, there were 8 of us) who were invited to tour the bridge and ask the Captain some questions. This was right after the sinking of the Concordia so there were a lot of questions about how that could have happened. It lasted for about an hour.

Most lines have "Behind the scenes" thype tour. This includes the bridge plus other areas of interest.(Engine control room, Galley, etc)

I have been on a roll call that was invited to the bridge also.(Not guaranteed though)

On NCL the Behind the Scenes tour does not always include the bridge since it is up to the Captain.

On our Carnival cruise we did the Behind the Fun tour. On our Princess cruise we did the Ultimate Ship's Tour. Both of those included a tour of the bridge, and time with the captain.

They both have cost, and you need to book them early in the cruise.

On HAL those of us who stayed in what is now called the Neptune Suites and the Pinnacle Suites did get a tour of the bridge if we wanted one. Then 9/11 happened and they ended.

Now HAL has the Behind the Scene Tours offered only on the Vista and Signature class ships which includes a bridge tour -- $150 per person. But it is not always available all the time on those ships.

There are tours of the Bridge available. Not everyone; not every Captain; not all the time but we toured many a bridge. :)

I would post this on the Carnival Cruise Line Board.

Most cruise lines do not allow tours of the bridge due to security issues. I would think that Carnival does not allow it but always wist to post specific cruise line questions on the cruise line board.

Keith

Not so, at least with RCI. Our Crown & Anchor tier status with RCI provides for a choice of complimentary behind the scenes tours on every cruise to include back stage, galley, or bridge. We have toured several bridges on different ships as a result and have had the pleasure of sitting in the Captain's seat as well.

RCI also offers a fee based behind the scenes tour that includes the bridge on most of their ships that is available on a limited number basis for anyone interested. They also permit pictures to be taken of the bridge, but no videos. There is a security check for all on the tour to be sure, but passengers are allowed on the bridge.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Years ago (maybe 15) we had a complementary bridge tour. I believe it was Celebrity Constellation. Our cabin was near the meeting point and we noticed many cruise critics members on the tour. It really wasn't much. They had a second instrument board over to the side and you stood around while someone pointed out the gadgets.

Some ships have a peek-a-boo bridge. Maybe someone can tell you which ships.

If DH is really dying for a bridge tour you may be interested in staying at the Queen Mary Hotel in Long Beach if you ever cruise out of Long Beach or San Pedro. It includes free admission to the museum which is through the engine rooms of the hotel/ship. There are also many original areas including the bridge that you can walk through. I believe they also have a walking tour around the hotel.

We did a See How It's Done tour on Celebrity Silhouette 2 weeks ago. It is not advertised and you have to be lucky (minimum number of participants) and fast (a maximum number as well). It's a 3 hour tour that includes many areas, including the bridge. It does cost $150 but it's worth it (if you like things like that, of course). It's kind of an estafette where different officers will tell you all you want to know about the area you are in. I highly recommend it!

They do check you with a metal detector, but making pictures anywhere was no problem. Most pictures I made during the cruise were made inside the ship :D

My husband is dying to go on a bridge tour. We're cruising on Carnival Pride in December - anyone have any tips/hints on how to make that happen? :)

Easy. Take a small boat cruise (about 50 passengers) instead of a cruise on a large ship. I have been on several of them and you can be on the bridge as much as you wish.

DON

Edited by donaldsc