Biggest Cruise Ship

Treven

I don't know when this was first aired, but I'm watching the building of the Harmony of the Seas, on Impossible Engineering. It's supposed to carry 9,000 passengers! That's one ship I definately won't be cruising on!

I don't know when this was first aired, but I'm watching the building of the Harmony of the Seas, on Impossible Engineering. It's supposed to carry 9,000 passengers! That's one ship I definately won't be cruising on!

No, the Oasis class ships carry 6300 pax and about 2400 crew.

I agree, for us less than 1,500 is ideal but we have friends that love the mega ships. It really does depend on what you want to experience. My concern with these large ship is when (not if) something goes wrong. I just can't imagine they can get that many people off the ship in an orderly fashion.

I agree, for us less than 1,500 is ideal but we have friends that love the mega ships. It really does depend on what you want to experience. My concern with these large ship is when (not if) something goes wrong. I just can't imagine they can get that many people off the ship in an orderly fashion.

1000 or less is our sweet spot.

Harmony, although slightly larger in displacement than her sister ships, is an Oasis class ship and as chengkp75 indicated that would be the total passenger and crew on board, which is typical of that ship class. We have been on both Allure and Oasis and IMO, due to their size and many venues have a less crowded feel than many of the smaller ships with less passengers and crew on board.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

We caught the 2nd half of the show and then I set up the 2nd showing to record so we can watch the whole show today.

What I found interesting was the looking back to the inventors who developed some of the original technology - sometimes 100 years ago or more.

We caught the 2nd half of the show and then I set up the 2nd showing to record so we can watch the whole show today.

What I found interesting was the looking back to the inventors who developed some of the original technology - sometimes 100 years ago or more.

Only saw a portion of the show but saw that part as well and also found it very interesting as you indicate.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Is that a typo? I thought it was similar to Oasis and Allure with the addition of waterlides and the Abyss....but thought it was just a bit bigger....not so much bigger that it carries 3000 more passengers

Is that a typo? I thought it was similar to Oasis and Allure with the addition of waterlides and the Abyss....but thought it was just a bit bigger....not so much bigger that it carries 3000 more passengers

I believe the OP misheard the show, as it was most likely stated as 9000 people onboard. 6300 pax and 2400 crew is nearly 9000.

Its on Science Channel, and I think they stream, but maybe not right away, and I think they repeat as well, fairly soon.

I believe the OP misheard the show, as it was most likely stated as 9000 people onboard. 6300 pax and 2400 crew is nearly 9000.

Its on Science Channel, and I think they stream, but maybe not right away, and I think they repeat as well, fairly soon.

That makes sense then...passengers plus crew

I'm in Canada so we don't think we have the science channel. Would love to catch the show sometime.

Have found the Oasis and Allure to feel less crowded than many smaller ships. Passenger flow/design of the ships is excellent.

I agree. Oasis and Allure both feel much LESS crowded than smaller ships. Design is outstanding and so are all the shows and restaurants. We NEVER feel crowded on these ships unlike on smaller ones.

The number you are quoting is not correct.

The new Harmony of the Seas ship is to have 5,496 passenger based on double occupancy and a crew of 2,394.

Is it for me? No. But a lot of people like these floating hotels so it is irrelevant to me if some do not like it because they have had so much success with the ships they have already deployed that they are deploying this one and others down the road.

Keith

Correct. At one point, one of the engineers clearly says it will "carry almost 9000 passengers and crew".

Well I didn't think I mis-heard that badly, but I guess I did. I agree that the background story was very interesting. Especially the part about the engine still in working order - and almost 100 years old.

Edited by Treven

Couldn't agree more. I will pass on that one.

It's not for everyone, but we just came off the Allure and I would book the Harmony in a heartbeat. These ships are big but you don't feel the crowds. There are multiple shows going on each night at different times and with Traditional and My Time, it's not like you have everyone in one spot at once. For activities, if you go first thing then you beat the line ups. Crowds are spread out. And for lunch and breakfast, you can check the crowd levels of restaurants and then select one accordingly. So I can only assume that Harmony is the same.

When the railroads were first introduced in America, there were many people who refused to ride on them. They claimed that God had never intended for man to travel at the excessive and dangerous speed of 23 miles per hour.

Some of those people are still with us, now frightened by bigger ships.

Edited by BruceMuzz

We had our first cruise three years ago on Grandeur, one of the oldest and smallest RCI ships, and loved it so much we went on her a second time the following year. We stepped up to Freedom of the Seas last year, and loved it even more. We will try Harmony this year, and cannot wait to sail on a brand new ship. I cannot wait to see what we pick for our next cruise after Harmony :).

When the railroads were first introduced in America, there were many people who refused to ride on them. They claimed that God had never intended for man to travel at the excessive and dangerous speed of 23 miles per hour.

Some of those people are still with us, now frightened by bigger ships.

Really? I'll pass on your thoughts/quote and on the mega ships