East Coasters - what is the Fall color report

OlsSalt

On another thread it was reported the Fall colors have already started in the Boston area.

We assumed we would be hitting them at their peak on our upcoming Montreal-San Diego cruise which does not start until mid-October. Your know "Fall colors" - not late summer colors. :confused:

Please, any east coasters who can tell us what is happening and what will be left by the time we start this trip across NE Canada and New England in mid-October. Thanks.

No fall colors in NJ.

The recent heat wave may have cooked some trees and made them turn yellow, but that isn't true fall colors. When we did the repo cruise Monteral to FLL, we left in mid-Oct and had lots of nice colors to see. The timing varies year to year, but mid-Oct should be a good bet for some ports along the route.

Because most of the northeast forests are mixed species, you seldom see all trees in fall colors at once. There will be some evergreens mixed in, and some trees will be bare by the time the others are bright. But it's always beautiful.

I answered your question on the other thread.

The day I see trees turn in August, is the day the world goes upside down.

Has never happened and everything is green here ;)

Depends upon when the frost hits, but generally, we don't expect any serious colour until October.

On another thread it was reported the Fall colors have already started in the Boston area.

That isn't how I read the post. I think you misunderstood.

There was a mention by someone else that some leaves were starting in Quebec City, but that's a long distance from Boston---and not uncommon up that far north. I used to see some color in the Vermont islands in August, too.

That isn't how I read the post. I think you misunderstood.

There was a mention by someone else that some leaves were starting in Quebec City, but that's a long distance from Boston---and not uncommon up that far north. I used to see some color in the Vermont islands in August, too.

Here was my original question. Yes you are right, I did not understand what was being reported. The season and patterns for East Coast "Fall colors" is fairly alien to those of us living on the West Coast.

But you are saying this has already started in Boston, so shall we assume it will be well gone by the time we hit eastern Canada in Octobe and be non-existent as we move south to Maine and Mass?

We have done four repo cruises from Montreal or Quebec City.

One year, in early October, we had pretty much missed foliage. Hurricanes blew off leaves.

Last year on the Maasdam we came pretty close to peak foliage. So Mother Nature will determine when peak may be. From beginning to end fall foliage is beautiful.

It also snowed a few times last year. Brrrr!

Web search also will show Fall Foliage Report Sites by area.

For eastern Canada, this summer's drought conditions could have an impact on fall foliage, affecting when trees across the region begin to shed their leaves and how vibrant the colors will be. The lack of rainfall and resulting stress to trees could result in some early color, but not as vivid or sustained as normal. So rather than mid-October, the peak may be early in the month.

Must be a really different year. I lived in Boston for years and never saw anything remotely like fall color the 3rd week of August.

We have travelled through Quebec, Nova Scotia, and New Brunswick over the past 10 days. Last five few days have been in Newfoundland.

NO fall colours on our routes. We do not anticipate seeing any any when we drive back in early/mid Sept either.

I live in Plymouth, just south of Boston, and the trees aren't even near turning color yet. The colors usually start turning further north (way north) before even coming close to starting here. They haven't mentioned anything on the news stations about the tree turning color and they always have a report on the progress of the fall colors starting and where to see the best colors.

Don't panic the colors will be there. :D

Dot

I am in Boston areaves have fallen off trees due to a extreme draught we are experiencing.

It is too early to tell if the very high temperatures we have had this summer as well as the druaght will impact foliage colors. If we don't get rain soon, there won't be many leavesleon the trees. :eek As a life long New Englander, I do not have high hopes fora brilliant foliage season this year.

Edited by sail7seas

For eastern Canada, this summer's drought conditions could have an impact on fall foliage, affecting when trees across the region begin to shed their leaves and how vibrant the colors will be. The lack of rainfall and resulting stress to trees could result in some early color, but not as vivid or sustained as normal. So rather than mid-October, the peak may be early in the month.

I've already noticed the leaves starting to change colour in Ottawa (1.5H west of Montreal). Most likely due to stress and lack of water this summer.

Exactly. Some of the top branches on some trees are turning but this is due to stress of the drought and extreme heat which is not normal for us. The colours will not be as vibrant this autumn for the same reasons. But you may experience warmer than usual air temps. Nothing in nature is predictable, especially this summer and with climate change.

Frost?... Water? ....... these are meaningless terms to us Californians. ;)

Well, You did ask. :D, Did you Not?

Looks like I pushed the panic button too quickly, Thanks for the responses.

I havelandscapers at my house right now and they have pruned a few trees to get rid of some of the dried oout limbs. We need, rain Thankfully, my community does not have water ban in place and we should b e okay b ut some towns won't allow people to top off their swimmingppools, have shut down sprinkler systems.

Edited by sail7seas