Getaway room temp and bringing a fan

aamechs2

I call it comfortably cool, but they won't get down to "cold", at least not my idea of that. My wife brings a WalMart type battery powered fan always and uses it just occasionally. I can't see that a plug in type small fan would be an issue though. You can't bring items that plug in and make heat, that could cause a fire, irons being one of them.

My husband prefers it very cool. As long as we remembered to keep the balcony door closed and locked and kept a card in the light slot, the AC worked. He kept it on the coldest temperature day and night. I had to get a second blanket for my side of the bed. We have also brought fans just for the air movement and it was no problem.

Lol I know the rooms are air conditioned but we've noticed that in the last 5 years, they aren't always very cool. Carnival considers 78 cool enough and RCL wouldn't let me keep my fan several years ago, it had to stay in the "naughty" room even though our room wasn't at all cool. [emoji16] We like it really cool at night, about 70. My hubby thinks since its anew ship with new insulation etc, it will be better.

Lol I know the rooms are air conditioned but we've noticed that in the last 5 years, they aren't always very cool. Carnival considers 78 cool enough and RCL wouldn't let me keep my fan several years ago, it had to stay in the "naughty" room even though our room wasn't at all cool. [emoji16] We like it really cool at night, about 70. My hubby thinks since its anew ship with new insulation etc, it will be better.

We've never cruised on RCL, but we've brought two fans with us, and set them out openly on each side of the bed, on every cruise we've taken, and never heard so much as a peep from the cruise line/cabin steward/etc. Lines we've cruised include NCL, Carnival, Oceania, Holland, Regent & more, so it sounds like RCL is out of step.

I agree with you. Our last 2 cruises were on older ships and we were very warm. But on the Getaway last November we were cool and comfy!

I always bring a small travel fan because I need the noise to sleep. I have a Vorndao Flippi and it works good enough for me. It flips down so it makes it easier to travel with.

In the past I thought the rooms got cold, but on my May Breakaway cruise I thought the room was just a bit too warm, I would have liked it to be much colder!

My wife and I both like it cold when we sleep. I can't answer for the mega ships, but every NCL ship we have been on, we have had no issues with the temp at night. Carnival I can't say so.

We set the temp two notches below the median on the thermostat.

I like the room very cold, at home when I go to bed I put the thermostat on 66F. That being said, if you lower the thermostat as low as it will go on the Getaway, the room got equivalently cold. It was actually too cold at one point. A few tips to keep the room cold:

1. Lower the thermostat all the way

2. Do NOT press the snowflake button, I'm not sure exactly what it does but it seems to turn the AC on for a few minutes very cold, then shut it completely off like a sleep timer.

3. Not only do you need to keep the balcony door closed, make sure the handle is in the locked position. If the door is closed but the handle not placed in the closed position (where the door drops), the AC will not turn on.

4. Make sure you leave your curtain closed during the day so the sun doesn't heat up your room through the window.

-Keith

listen to Keith he nailed it. Took me a while to figure out the snowflake button was all a lie. :confused:

Always close the curtains when you leave the room. The A/C is not strong enough to combat the tropical sunshine. I open them when I am in the room but that is not usually during the afternoon.

I keep my bedroom very cool below 70 all year round and I was comfortable on Getaway.

Ok, the snowflake button being a lie explains my sense that the whole thermostat was a sham when I was on GA. :) it was always cool enough, but I could never quite figure out why it got colder when it did, or why I couldn't re-create it.

The snowflake button is a "quick cool" feature. When you press it, it blasts the A/C at the lowest temp. and highest fan setting. Unfourtunately after the 5 min. it resets the temp. to the mid setting, but also turns off the fan (i.e., no heat/AC.) That would explain why your cabins would get warm, lol.

I still for the life of me cannot figure out, though, why anyone would use it.

• 2 months later...