Taxi from Port of Miami to FLL

2siamesecats

We are considering taking a taxi to FLL airport after our Majesty of the Seas cruise. We are planning on self disembarkation so we can get off the ship and get right to the airport for our flight. Anyone done this? Are taxis available or do we need to call for one? Is this better than arranging for a car service? We've never cruised from Port of Miami before so making arrangements here is a first for us.

We are considering taking a taxi to FLL airport after our Majesty of the Seas cruise. We are planning on self disembarkation so we can get off the ship and get right to the airport for our flight. Anyone done this? Are taxis available or do we need to call for one? Is this better than arranging for a car service? We've never cruised from Port of Miami before so making arrangements here is a first for us.

Welcome to Cruise Critic 2siamesecats. Try asking your question over at the Florida Departures board here at Cruise Critic:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

Jonathan

You might want to look into one of the shuttle services. A taxi between Miami and Ft Lauderdale will be about $80. Or just fly into Miami in the first place.

To answer your question about taxis......they are lined up waiting for you when you get off the ship. No need to call for one.

Edited by Marie51

Make sure you get a price,

We did it once off of Reflection and the taxis were waiting. It was about $85 including tip. Since then we've used SAS Transportation at $15 pp not including tip but it's also a shuttle and not a taxi. You'll be traveling with others. We were on the shuttle before 8 am and at FLL in plenty of time for a 10:45am flight.

Another recommendation for SAS. Their rates can't be beat and they are punctual.

last time I used SAS for the ride back to FLL they were not so fast. We got on the shuttle fast enough, bu the driver circled around untill someone else got off the ship delay was at least 1/2 hr and was after 9 until we left

last time I used SAS for the ride back to FLL they were not so fast. We got on the shuttle fast enough, bu the driver circled around untill someone else got off the ship delay was at least 1/2 hr and was after 9 until we left

I guess that could happen and the chances you take with shared rides. However not what we experienced. We were on our way as soon as the driver put the van in gear. We always give ourselves plenty of time to get to our final distination. So 1/2 Hr. wouldn't have effected us at all. We would use them again in a "New York Minute".

Shuttles can use the High Occupancy Vehicle lanes on the interstate. Taxis with just the driver and two people cannot.

I used SAS in August and was highly pleased. They picked me up from my FLL hotel and arrived 10 minutes early. We then swung by the FLL airport and picked up 2 other passengers who had just arrived, then we were on the way to Miami. Upon return, I only had to wait about 5 minutes, then we went to another cruise terminal to pick up 3 other passengers who were already outside and waiting. I had self-disembarked. We were at FLL airport before 9:30.

Hope this helps!

95 between the Port and FLL is a combo of the Express lanes which any vehicle can use if it has a Sun Pass, and then HOV lanes from 7am to 9am. 2 people in the car is all you need to use the HOV so a taxi can use them.

Plus, in the morning, you are going in the opposite direction of most of the traffic.

95 between the Port and FLL is a combo of the Express lanes which any vehicle can use if it has a Sun Pass, and then HOV lanes from 7am to 9am. 2 people in the car is all you need to use the HOV so a taxi can use them.

Plus, in the morning, you are going in the opposite direction of most of the traffic.

Good to know! Thanks Matt!

I saw many taxis sitting in the congestion while we went on by!

Edited by Mystaken

Dont use uber.....high risk operation.....they are black market cabs....you download an app to your phone and arrange for a pickup through uber....they contract with private parties to pick you up (they say soccer moms earning money- bs) ....all handled through a credit card.....bad thing is, these hack cabs dont carry commerical insurance policies to do this..so if you get in a wreck you will have no recourse against a company...since the cabs are independant no criminal background checks on drivers.....google them and read the stories....about drivers attacking passengers........stay away from uber!!

Our plan is to walk off Reflection which docks at 7am at POM, then get a cab to FLL airport on a Saturday for a 12:15 flight

...if we can't get luggage valet we will have to check in w/luggage

Barring any extra delays, is this OK?

Our plan is to walk off Reflection which docks at 7am at POM, then get a cab to FLL airport on a Saturday for a 12:15 flight

Hi Hertha,:) I think you will be fine.

You will likely pay $80 or so for the cab and be at FLL 4 hours early for your flight. Is that what you want? :confused:

You could sleep in, enjoy breakfast, walk off about 9:00, use a shared shuttle for about $30, and still be at FLL in plenty of time for your flight. ;)

Thanks Lois and John

Lois is on our roll call and knows I am nervous about making that non stop flight home to ISP. We prefer waiting for our flight at the airpirt to rushing, and expect FLL airport will be crowded that day,

John, Cab fare not an issue...esp for peace of mind. If we flew home to JFK, a limo to our home would be even more..,

We, have had a bad experience with Miami to FLL shared shuttle (Super Shuttle was not super)... It was disorganized with boarding/payment process, driver got totally lost!

Another time we did the Royal C bus to FLL. Two international pax had missing luggage and we were delayed 45 minutes while it was tracked down.