21 year old college student overboard

vols159

My 20 year old nephew leaves on another line in a week.....so nervous....but he is with a church group and minister taking them has a friend that plays music on the ship...prayers to this family...you just can't control life and all of our fallibility...Godspeed to this family....may they find some solace and eventually purpose in their grief.

You don't. Either stupidity and/or alcohol were involved.

That is probably true.

But who can know that it is not possible.

I have learned in my life that strange things do happen.

It makes me sad for anyone's son to die.

Edited by mzloolue

I certainly hope the young man's family doesn't read this. Very uncalled for and completely insensitive. It's called an accident, doesn't matter how or why it happened. A family has lost a loved one and it must be unbearable that he was never recovered.

In the other, now-closed thread (as well as on some private Facebook group pages), there were SUPPOSED eyewitness reports of him being visibly drunk hours before the incident. But who knows? All that is known now is that his family is devastated and in mourning :(

Edited by MrsPhoenix91

According to one person aboard, the video revealed tat he was on his balcony vomiting into the sea. The seas were very rough, and he fell over. Tried to hold on but.........I definitely think he had way to much to drink and it made him sick.

While the odds are usually against you when something like this happens, I was still hoping for a miracle and thinking about this young man since it was reported. So sad no matter what the circumstances are. My thoughts go out to his family, friends, classmates and those that were on the Glory with him. Such a tragedy at such a young age. :(

I certainly hope the young man's family doesn't read this. Very uncalled for and completely insensitive. It's called an accident, doesn't matter how or why it happened. A family has lost a loved one and it must be unbearable that he was never recovered.

Very well said. Thank you.

According to one person aboard, the video revealed tat he was on his balcony vomiting into the sea. The seas were very rough, and he fell over. Tried to hold on but.........I definitely think he had way to much to drink and it made him sick.

Not sure why someone on board would have seen the video, but it is now being reported by the coast guard the young man climbed over the railing.

There is no telling why or if alcohol was involved. Unfortunately we all here have seen people climbing over railings, in person or in photos.

I do feel for the family though, especially since they will most likely not get closure with a funeral and so forth.

For all cruisers it is a very sad incident and our heartfelt feelings go out to the friends and family of this young man. For experienced cruisers some of whom have been on board ships where incidents occur know it can cast a pallor over the rest of the voyage. With that said, the only thing I am going to say is cruise incidents (including man over boards) can and do happen to many different people not just college-aged kids. Those of us as parents or influencers of young people like this we can only give our advice and stress the importance of being careful on board. That goes to everyone including the adults who can and do get unruly too although usually in other ways.