“The Secret Silk” Stephen Schwartz’s new production show

Astro Flyer

Here’s a brief description & a link to a press release for the new Stephen Schwartz production show debuting on the Royal Princess in mid-February 2018.

"The Secret Silk"is the story of an Asian folkloric tale with a contemporary spin, featuring inspired performances through the use of music, dance, puppetry and visuals. Adapted from the ancient fable "The Grateful Crane," the story features Lan, a beautiful, selfless young woman who possesses a magical gift, secretly creating brilliant silk fabrics. Audiences will be introduced to original life-sized puppet creations by Jim Henson's Creature Shop, and an original song, "Sing to the Sky,"both made exclusively for the line's production.

"The Secret Silk" premieres aboard Royal Princess, followed by Island Princess in May 2018 for the Alaska season, and Diamond Princess in fall 2018.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=140690&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2326231

I looked at the video discribing it and it had on it debuting February, 2018. So you say on the Royal first? We are going on the Royal in March, so am excited to see this new show!!!!!

Pooh

Here’s a quote from the Princess press release so you’ll get to see it. :)

“debuts exclusively on Royal Princess starting in mid-February 2018 as the ship sails the Caribbean”

Here’s a link to the promotional video:

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/onboard-experience/entertainment/production-shows/

Edited by Astro Flyer

Such as the oldie Motor City...;)

It's bad when on a cruise & you opt for a movie in the room because you've seen the show so many times & there's nothing else of interest except to continue eating at the buffet.

I can see why some people sit at a one of the bars & continue to have one drink after the other. ;)

It's bad when on a cruise & you opt for a movie in the room because you've seen the show so many times & there's nothing else of interest except to continue eating at the buffet.

I can see why some people sit at a one of the bars & continue to have one drink after the other. ;)

Guess that’s one way to reduce crowding in the theater & to increase income from selling more alcohol. ;)

• 5 weeks later...

Am I ever looking forward to that production. :D It's long overdue.

I'll bet the lounge will be standing room only 30 minutes before showtime. ;)

Finally. They really need to retire some of the shows. Can anyone say "What a Swell Party"--or the motor city or disco shows. So tired of the--actually never cared for them..

On our recent Emerald cruise we did see "Magic to Do". It was good, certainly much better than some of the above, but I wasn't wowed. I hate to say it, but we have been wowed by a couple of shows on Norwegian recently.

Does anyone know what is on the Caribbean Princess now? We haven't received the e-mails from the CD yet. Here's hoping for at least one of the newer shows.

We've felt that the main stage entertainment was one of the weakest areas in the Princess experience. Hopefully this represents an upturn.

I'm still waiting for Magic To Do to appear on one of the cruises I'm on. I believe that was announce 3 years ago.

It was on our last cruise but only one day (out of 28 days!) and we missed it. There was a nasty cold going around the ship and my wife quarantined herself in the cabin for two days as she felt rotten and didn't want to spread it more than was already being done by others. Naturally' date=' the only time [i']Magic To Do[/i] was done was during that time. I had been looking forward to it as we've seen the other shows enough times but it just didn't work out. We'll see it one of these times. It's not as if Princess doesn't keep their shows going - and going, and going, and going, and going, and...

• 3 weeks later...

Here’s the press release about the debut of The Secret Silk on the Royal Princess & also a link to their promotional video for this new production show.

Princess Cruises Celebrates The Premiere Of “The Secret Silk” With Stephen Schwartz and John Tartaglia Onboard Royal Princess

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=140690&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2335938

I'm still waiting for Magic To Do to appear on one of the cruises I'm on. I believe that was announce 3 years ago.

moki’smommy, we saw it a couple of months ago on the Ruby and found it disappointing to the point that I said I wouldn’t bother seeing it again! It might be fair to give it another try, though.

Here’s the press release about the debut of The Secret Silk on the Royal Princess & also a link to their promotional video for this new production show.
Frank.... Nan and I were fortunate enough to see the show's premier on the Royal last month. It's not to be missed!!

Frank.... Nan and I were fortunate enough to see the show's premier on the Royal last month. It's not to be missed!!

Thanks Lew...you’ve confirmed my thoughts which were only based on it’s promotion.

We’ll get to watch it after the Royal redeploys to the West Coast however it’s nearly 14 months until our B2B cruises on the Royal from LA before we get to watch the show.

Was on board for the World Premier and saw the first passenger performance, as well as seeing it a 2nd time. The show is 50 mins long and different from any other Princess production show I have seen. It is a Asian fairy tale story and each of the cast plays a character part throughout the show. The show also contains original puppet characters from the Jim Hensen studio. The show is mostly singing and dance, but there is some dialog and some narration. Arrive at least 1 hour early to get a seat. 45 mins before showtime the theater was filled. We enjoyed the show, and thought it was better the 2nd time we saw it.

The press release & webpage have details about the show & it’s creation and that it will be rolled out on Island Princess for the 2018 summer Alaska season, and Diamond Princess in winter 2018, sailing year-round Japan”

https://www.princess.com/news/news_releases/2018/03/Princess-Cruises-Celebrates-The-Premiere-Of-The-Secret-Silk-With-Stephen-Schwartz-and-John-Tartaglia-Onboard-Royal-Princess.html

Does anyone know what is on the Caribbean Princess now? We haven't received the e-mails from the CD yet. Here's hoping for at least one of the newer shows.

Last week it was Bravo on the Caribbean Princess and I liked it very much. I don't like Magic to Do and this new show coming from the same producer makes me skeptical since I don't care for his style. I'm sailing to Alaska on the Emerald next month so I'll certainly go to the show to see what it's like.

We were also on the Royal for the premier showing of Secret Silk and yes you need to get there approximately one hour before show time for a good seat. The theater was full 45 minutes before showtime. Thought the show was excellent and it was a full 55 minutes. Since we were on for 20 days we also saw it again on the next cruise and thought it was even better the second time.