Does anyone do roll calls anymore?

CRUISERMOMX3

Several years ago I was on a very active Roll Call for the Breeze. I now have 2 sailings booked and there is a virtually nonexistent one for October and there isn’t even one set up for February. Does anyone still try to meet people on a roll call before their sailing?

I’ve had good success in the past, but the one for my last cruise was a dud. Couldn’t even hardly get anyone to respond and I know they didn’t just disappear because they keep posting on other threads and they did go on the cruise.

There has been a switch to other social media sites and that was for sure the case for my April Glory cruise. We had over 200 members and I made some awesome lifelong friends.

I too attended CC meet & greets in the past where someone would set up a cocktail party and we would have lots of people & have a blast. But other social media sites make it easier to respond & interact & see a photo of the people before you board. The last 2 CC meet & greets that I attended set up by the ship and posted in the Fun Times were total duds. The last one was just my BF & me with the cruise director & entertainment director which was great for meeting them but we had 30 people at the meeting set up by the group on the "must remain nameless" social media site.

Like ChosenOne said, the last 2 that I have setup / attended from CC have been total busts. The one last month on the Magic had a whopping grand total of 4 people from CC show up. Our social media roll call had over 600 people.

For our sailing on the Magic next year, so far nobody has joined the CC roll call. Our social media roll call is at 250 and we're still a year out. We've met some amazing people on them and us too have made lifelong friends. It's nicer when you can share pictures, get instant notifications, PRIVATE MESSAGE one another, and it isn't so strict.

I've been reluctant to attend Roll Calls on my cruises. I'm not sure why. OTOH, I've joined a group on that big social media site devoted to Carnival cruising. First off, everyone uses their real names (I'm assuming) and the mods are quick to shut down shady characters. It feels more open and safe and we really do get to know each other over time. Here, we're all anonymous until the actual Meet.

It's much nicer to actually know the people you're meeting. Rather than meeting fyree39 from California, which I don't even know if you're a man or woman, a senior citizen or a 13 year old. Who am I actually looking for when we meet? If I knew you from a social media roll call, I know I am meeting 30 year old Jane from San Diego with her 35 year old husband John who both work in the same industry as I do, and have 2 great kids who are in their upper teens. OR if you're in the same state as me, I may see that we have 3 friends in common, or went to the same college / school. I know exactly who I am looking for when we get on the ship so that conversation we've been having for the past year in the roll call, we can pick up in person and buy each other drinks and continue it face to face.

We did one roll call, and based on that experience I will not do any more.

I made a mistake of telling the host at sail-away we had a Vista Suite and she insisted we include it on the cabin crawl. We declined and were harassed to the point she followed us to our cabin once, then showed up later with the cabin crawl entourage. We said "No" and shut the door in her face.

There are some strange people on this board.....

Edited by LostPuppy

I always thought "cabin crawls" were a bit weird in roll calls. I've never done one because let's be honest, who wants to see an interior room on say, deck 3? I don't think I'd want to participate even if I had a super nice room because it's just a cruise room and and could possibly open up some craziness. I trust CC for tips and tricks but not with my room number, location etc.

I was on a roll call for my most recent cruise and it was super inactive. But my last two have had really active, fun Facebook groups. The meet and mingle for my October cruise was about 8 people and the one for my last cruise didn't have the numbers to be held.

I always thought "cabin crawls" were a bit weird in roll calls. I've never done one because let's be honest, who wants to see an interior room on say, deck 3? I don't think I'd want to participate even if I had a super nice room because it's just a cruise room and and could possibly open up some craziness. I trust CC for tips and tricks but not with my room number, location etc.

I was on a roll call for my most recent cruise and it was super inactive. But my last two have had really active, fun Facebook groups. The meet and mingle for my October cruise was about 8 people and the one for my last cruise didn't have the numbers to be held.

Cabin crawls are lots of fun. It’s a neat way to see all the different types of cabins and people’s opinion that are staying in them. I have organized a few and they were all a blast. If we had duplicates of a type, then we just went to one based upon where it was in relation to the others. And you would be surprised at people wanting to see an inside. There are lots of first timers or people that just haven’t stayed in one. It’s very interesting and we always enjoy seeing the different options. Sure beats trying to peek in when the RS are cleaning 🤣.

I checked with the major social media site and nothing there either. I either have the whole ship to myself or they cancelled the sailing and I’m the only one who doesn’t know.

When is your sailing on the Breeze?

I've never attended an on-board meeting of a roll-call and never will, but I still check in on the thread and chat a bit and ask/answer questions beforehand. Our next trip in on the Breeze in September and the thread is less than 2 pages I think with maybe 1/2 dozen cruisers having checked in.

You mentioned the site that "shall not be mentioned". Now you have to walk the plank ;p

We had a great roll call group for the Glory cruise but no one from the ship came to the meeting that was set at 10 am on the first sea day! About 30 CC'ers showed up and we were disappointed no one from the ship even bothered! But we all chatted on FB, so we met a few times on the ship as a group for kicks!

Yes, they have died down on CC...I remember some of the old roll call pages back in the early 2000's...some were 100 pages long.

Met and cruised with some great folks back then and stayed connected through the years.

Other social media sites have taken the place of the CC roll calls and it seems many like it better.

I did register for CC roll calls Meet and Greet for my last 3 cruises on Pride and was never notified on board of the meeting times..

For our sailing on the Magic next year, so far nobody has joined the CC roll call. Our social media roll call is at 250 and we're still a year out. We've met some amazing people on them and us too have made lifelong friends. It's nicer when you can share pictures, get instant notifications, PRIVATE MESSAGE one another, and it isn't so strict.
I'm too private of a person to start out in a facebook group where everyone would know me long before the cruise. That's why I'm not big on social media at all. I really don't use my fb anymore, but when I did, I wasn't that active. I literally only have about 20 people on there. That's by choice, though. I just don't like putting my life out there for the world to see. I'd rather get to know someone a little first before I start telling them about myself more. With CC it's different because, even if I said something personal about myself on here, it's anonymous so I don't mind it much. But I don't think I could do a fb group. Unless I used an alias. :cool: I do wish CC had private messaging, though. Over time, you might find that you have things in common with others and it'd be nice to be able to connect without the entire board reading the conversation.

You mentioned the site that "shall not be mentioned". Now you have to walk the plank ;p

You can mention Facebook on here. You just can't say something like "Join our Facebook meet & greet for a certain ship on a certain date."

Will be forever grateful to CC because we met a great couple 9 years ago and have become like family. Yes we visit/travel every year and talk/text often.

With the advent of FB it's so much easier to chat with others. Next cruise we have 26 people on CC and 126 on FB.

And like mentioned before the private message feature is very useful.

here you know me as marshhawk, and you know what cruise I am on, you may not know what i do, where I live and how many family members I have.

social media, lets you know when I am home, and when I am not, great way to rob me. I too had fb, and haven't been there in over two years. if you are my friend, you respect my privacy, and you email me. I have met fantastic people through the roll calls on CC. still email them every day or so, and yes, I was a member of one of those really long roll calls, and we still stay in touch through CC.

what got my goat on our last cruise was that the fb group was told to sign up for the CC meet and greet. when I asked a few of them, who they were on CC, they had no idea and said they were just told to sign up for the meet and greet so that they wouldn't have to create a fb meet and greet. what ever. I stay true to CC.

I joined both on my last cruise and posted a few times in the CC thread.

The last CC meet and greet I attended on my October 2017 cruise was great, though. I'll always join them on here and HOPE that they don't get canned due to lack of signups. It was small but that was better to me, you got a chance to meet people and the officers who came were super nice. At the CC meetup, my husband and I had a long chat with the hotel director. Carnival brought some snacks for us and welcomed us all, and it was a very nice gesture.

It was really sad the CC meetup didn't make the quota for my last cruise.

The other meetups are well, disorganized, unless someone steps up to the plate to do it. Last week, I was confused about both the meetup time and the meetup venue, since the group created an event using another time zone and the location was "Red Frog" (the ship had a Red Frog Pub on Deck 5 and a Red Frog Bar on Deck 10). The FB group itself was fun for talking pre and post cruise, though, like the CC threads usually are.

The Roll Calls certainly have declined in use to the point where I think they will eventually be eliminated. In past years you really learned about cruising and especially if it was your first cruise. The other site is not as good as Cruise Critic and wanders off on topics I am not interested in. Oh well, things change and some times not for the better. I started a roll call for my 2019 cruise but every time I post I feel like I am talking to myself. Now if I answer myself, I could be in deep trouble.

When I first joined a handful of years back, the CC meet and greets weren’t bad. My wife and I have a few friends from those days.

Now Facebook rules the day as far as scheduling events and seeing if you have anything in common with your fellow sailors so you don’t waste your time hanging out with some crankwad on the first day or two. And as much as we hate to admit it younger folks like me and a lot of pax just aren’t interested in an event with a bunch of anonymous random people.

Sooo not comfortable with this either through CC or FB. I’ve seen some nice posts from nice people but I’ve seen mean/crazy posts from mean/crazy people. While I may like to meet a few of the nice ones, the mean/crazies ruin that idea. I am active on my FB pg because I only have real life friends on there that I have known for 30+ years and a couple of coworkers that I’ve known for 10+ years, and unless you are a friend of a friend, my page is inaccessible.