November 2, 2017 HAL Trans-Atlantic to FLL

My itinerary for this cruise shows its completion at the Ft Lauderdale cruise port as 7:00 AM. Any other TA's voyagers out there who could venture an educated, or experienced, guess as what might be a "safe" time to book a flight out from the airport?

Normally, 11:30 would be a safe time. That is the time HAL uses for its flights, and for Luggage Direct.

However, disembarkation can be delayed based on how many other ships, and how many passengers, are also coming in that day. Take a look at which day your ship arrives. If it is a Saturday or Sunday, I would recommend a flight after 1:00. (I'm a Nervous Nellie about making flights.)

Normally, 11:30 would be a safe time. That is the time HAL uses for its flights, and for Luggage Direct.

However, disembarkation can be delayed based on how many other ships, and how many passengers, are also coming in that day. Take a look at which day your ship arrives. If it is a Saturday or Sunday, I would recommend a flight after 1:00. (I'm a Nervous Nellie about making flights.)

My vastly experienced TA concurs with RuthC: Too many things can occur to delay getting through Customs. She will never book a flight out earlier than noon or 1:00, depending on the day. Yes, you will in most likelihood make that earlier flight, but... To me it is not worth the anxiety.

My itinerary for this cruise shows its completion at the Ft Lauderdale cruise port as 7:00 AM. Any other TA's voyagers out there who could venture an educated, or experienced, guess as what might be a "safe" time to book a flight out from the airport?

Another consideration is which airport you will be departing from. There is Fort Lauderdale (FLL) which is only 4 miles, 6 km from the cruise port. And Miami International (MIA), which is 33 miles, 53 km, south of the cruise port. And that is using the 95 freeway, which is sometimes like a long parking lot. Depending on a weekday or weekend arrival into Port Everglades, the Miami morning traffic will really lengthen your time from the cruise port to MIA.

I was on a TA (1 of my 3 TAs) that didn't get cleared until 9:45. We had an afternoon flight so didn't sweat it. I like to book an afternoon flight, lower stress level and that lets the crowds dissipate a bit. m--

Is it generally true that for a Caribbean or Panama Canal cruise the disembarkation goes quicker? Or is it the same performance no matter where the ship has been. Going on a Panama Canal cruise next winter and hoping for an 11:30 am flight out. Thanks!

Another consideration is which airport you will be departing from. There is Fort Lauderdale (FLL) which is only 4 miles, 6 km from the cruise port. And Miami International (MIA), which is 33 miles, 53 km, south of the cruise port. And that is using the 95 freeway, which is sometimes like a long parking lot. Depending on a weekday or weekend arrival into Port Everglades, the Miami morning traffic will really lengthen your time from the cruise port to MIA.

FLL is less than 2 miles via the new FL SR (State Road) 84 / I-595 Port Everglades exit. Figure on 20 minutes, worst case from the pier to the airport.

If you have an early flight out of FLL a way to save precious minutes is to go directly to the skycap upon arrival at the airport. Within a few minutes you will have disposed of your luggage and have received your boarding passes. Then head directly to the security line. We always try to avoid the check in line in the terminal whenever possible.

We finally got smart and booked a hotel for the day after our return. The crew also has to go through Immigration since it's their first US stop so that adds to the time needed for disembarkation. We found an extra days rest in the warmth a great way to decompress and we were able to take a very early flight back to Newark which also meant a quicker drive back home to PA withou much NYC traffic.

We finally got smart and booked a hotel for the day after our return. The crew also has to go through Immigration since it's their first US stop so that adds to the time needed for disembarkation. We found an extra days rest in the warmth a great way to decompress and we were able to take a very early flight back to Newark which also meant a quicker drive back home to PA withou much NYC traffic.

We book a hotel after the cruise as well for similar reasons. Also if you are flying out of FLL (not Miami) it is quicker and cheaper to take a cab then the HAL shuttle. It is a very quick ride. :)

Get Global Entry. It fill save time going through Immigration. Once approved you will also be TSA Precheck approved saving time at FLL. (The security line there is outrageously long but does move.) A well spent $100 pp.

https://goes-app.cbp.dhs.gov/pkmslogout

Does Port Everglades now have an expedited line for all arriving ships? We have Nexus/Precheck but there was no separate line at the Port of Miami last month when disembarking from a Celebrity cruise.

• 1 year later...
Get Global Entry. It fill save time going through Immigration. Once approved you will also be TSA Precheck approved saving time at FLL. (The security line there is outrageously long but does move.) A well spent $100 pp.

Good info...and we're doing it. Global Entry Interview this month in Las Vegas (had to go somewhere). Hoping it lives up to its reputation of facilitating entry into customs and airport lines.

Please, this is some inaccurate information here. Your Global Entry does NOT guarantee receiving PreCheck for the TSA Smurf Show. It does greatly enhance your chances of getting that little "PreCheck" icon on your boarding pass. BUT, it is still possible that you are randomly selected to to not receive the icon and then have to go through the regular line.

Another thing about trying to book an early flight: Most those people mucking up departure from your ship - and all of the other ships debarking at FLL that day - will be mucking up the TSA lines at FLL...

Please, this is some inaccurate information here. Your Global Entry does NOT guarantee receiving PreCheck for the TSA Smurf Show. It does greatly enhance your chances of getting that little "PreCheck" icon on your boarding pass. BUT, it is still possible that you are randomly selected to to not receive the icon and then have to go through the regular line.

Another thing about trying to book an early flight: Most those people mucking up departure from your ship - and all of the other ships debarking at FLL that day - will be mucking up the TSA lines at FLL...

I have twice experienced Delta failing to ensure TSA Precheck appears on our boarding passes, and, having had the time and noticing Globa Entry desk at the airport, I asked about it; and was advised that there is no "random selection" - but a possible glitch on the airline's system. The Delta people, of course, claimed that the fault was Global Entry's "random selection", and not theirs.

Has anyone else experienced this - and was it with Delta? We fly an average of five or six round trips per year, and the lapse only occurred with Delta.

Has anyone else experienced this - and was it with Delta? We fly an average of five or six round trips per year, and the lapse only occurred with Delta
Did you make sure your "known traveler" number(s) is/are in the Delta booking system?