Evaluation email after cruise: crew shout-outs?

fann1sh

A number of years ago - when evaluations were still on paper - a crew member told me that while tips helped his family, mention in my cruise evaluation helped him: promotions and shore leave.

It's been my habit to note down names and spellings and "good deeds" during the cruise, and try to mention as many crew as possible.

Does anyone else have a rule of thumb about this?

Or, should I spend my brief chance to grab HAL's attention on other things?

I still make mention of the crew in my online surveys. I figure every bit helps.

My only issue with the survey is that they're available for a short time after the cruise, no more than 7-10 days IME. Many times, we're on a post cruise extension and miss our opportunity to complete the survey.

The Front Desk (and sometimes the book with stationery, and such in your cabin) has a paper "Tell Us How We're Doing" report card that can be completed while on the ship. If someone, or something, in particular is "over and above" then this form can be filled out and submitted.

The employee's boss is sure to hear about it.

We love acknowledging exemplary service. While conversing with all servers, they have shared that ALL mentions help them with rewards, promotions and future ship and employment opportunities. We consciously make an effort to make positive mentions BOTH on board and in our post-cruise survey. Helping us in our post-cruise surveys, is having all names and notes written down throughout the cruise, so completing the post-cruise survey is quick and easy and fast (even while at a post-tour wifi connection!). Just remember - their careers and families depend on your positive comments and naming accolades!

Thanks, both of you - but to RuthC most especially for reminding me about those cards.

Seems a good way of keeping kudos aboard the ship, so they don't get lost. :)

PS: Oops! Boze9999, looks like we cross posted. Thanks to you as well.

Edited by fann1sh

We always fill in the "Let us Know" cards when a crew member has given great service, we know the cards are read by management, as the named crew members have thanked us for writing the cards.

Last year I had to request more cards.

We always fill in the "Let us Know" cards when a crew member has given great service, we know the cards are read by management, as the named crew members have thanked us for writing the cards.

Last year I had to request more cards.

And those cards are read promptly and reported to dept. heads. I filled one out for MDR manager as he had graciously rearranged some seating at our table last cruise. He thanked me for my input that very night as he was seating me for dinner.

I always mention the staff who give excellent service and/or make me feel really special on the post-cruise surveys. I know mentions by name help them, so that's what I do. If I do not know their name, I mention as many specifics a possible so the managers can figure out which staff member it was.

I also mention staff by name when I get bad service. I figure that is just as important as when I get good service. I have not had bad service many times, but when I do I make sure to get names so I can mention it in letters or post-cruise surveys.

Though in all honesty, the worst service/treatment I have ever had on a cruise was from an officer who yelled at passengers in the Lido for going through the "staff" dinner line even though we were invited and welcomed by the chef standing behind the line. She got several mentions -- in the onboard "Let Us Know" notes, the post-cruise survey, and a letter to HAL.

Because I learned on this board that it is important to the crew, I was quite the little name dropper on my post-cruise survey this May. While on the cruise I jotted down the names of the cabin stewards, dining room staff, and concierges. I mentioned each in the survey and said something specific about them, any good thing I could think of. The service is great on HAL, so it wasn't hard to find things to praise.

Vicki

I bring along blank cards and will address a note to the manager of whomever has gone above and beyond for us. Sometimes it is a beverage server other times it will be a cabin steward, or one of the chefs either in the dining room or the Lido. Without fail, I receive a note from the manager thanking me for letting him/her know how I perceive the service of HAL employees.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

A number of years ago - when evaluations were still on paper - a crew member told me that while tips helped his family, mention in my cruise evaluation helped him: promotions and shore leave.

It's been my habit to note down names and spellings and "good deeds" during the cruise, and try to mention as many crew as possible.

Does anyone else have a rule of thumb about this?

Or, should I spend my brief chance to grab HAL's attention on other things?

Anytime, you mention a crew member by name, be it on the electronic survey sent to your home post-cruise and/or on the LUK (Let Us Now) cards that you'll find in your stateroom and/or can always pick up at the Front Office during a cruise, that feedback gets distributed to that crew member's Department (administration, food service, food preparation, beverage, entertainment, concessions, etc).

The electronic surveys will find their way on to the hotel director's PC and are forwarded to the various department head PC's (plus to ship's senior management) All LUK's wind up on the desk of the Guest Relations Manager during the cruise (and/or on "turnaround day"), who will read them and has his/her staff distribute them to the various ship departments the crew member is assigned to. In addition, the GRM sends out a daily internal email to ship's senior management plus to all department heads which, among other info, contains any LUKs received the day before.

Contrary to the belief that this type of crew recognition has an impact on crew shore leave - it does not, shore leave is issued based on work schedule availability - the recognition does find its way into crew member personnel files and, consequently, on rating cards and performance evaluations, prepared by supervisors and managers. In addition, I'v seen managers photo copy the comments, "high light" those comments and the crew member's (or sometimes entire staff of a department such as the Front Office) name and post them in work areas such as the main galley, Lido pantry, Front Office, HK office, etc. for all crew to read

As a result of all this, when it comes time for promotion and/or different assignments, a series of "attaboy's/girl's" in someone's personnel jacket will have a positive impact on the decision making process of that supervisor and/or manager

Edited by Copper10-8

I filled out a Let Us Know Card every other day and named people who went out of their way. I also noted things Tagg were off. Management responded immediately. I also kept a running track and re-capped all my let us know card shout outs and named them in my post cruise survey. I figure every bit helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Anytime, you mention a crew member by name, be it on the electronic survey sent to your home post-cruise and/or on the LUK (Let Us Now) cards that you'll find in your stateroom and/or can always pick up at the Front Office during a cruise, that feedback gets distributed to that crew member's Department (administration, food service, food preparation, beverage, entertainment, concessions, etc).

The electronic surveys will find their way on to the hotel director's PC and are forwarded to the various department head PC's (plus to ship's senior management) All LUK's wind up on the desk of the Guest Relations Manager during the cruise (and/or on "turnaround day"), who will read them and has his/her staff distribute them to the various ship departments the crew member is assigned to. In addition, the GRM sends out a daily internal email to ship's senior management plus to all department heads which, among other info, contains any LUKs received the day before.

Contrary to the belief that this type of crew recognition has an impact on crew shore leave - it does not, shore leave is issued based on work schedule availability - the recognition does find its way into crew member personnel files and, consequently, on rating cards and performance evaluations, prepared by supervisors and managers. In addition, I'v seen managers photo copy the comments, "high light" those comments and the crew member's (or sometimes entire staff of a department such as the Front Office) name and post them in work areas such as the main galley, Lido pantry, Front Office, HK office, etc. for all crew to read

As a result of all this, when it comes time for promotion and/or different assignments, a series of "attaboy's/girl's" in someone's personnel jacket will have a positive impact on the decision making process of that supervisor and/or manager

Thanks for this information.

Thanks for letting me know I was mistaken about this affecting shore leave - but not promotion. :) Your posts are always so helpful!

We love acknowledging exemplary service. While conversing with all servers, they have shared that ALL mentions help them with rewards, promotions and future ship and employment opportunities. We consciously make an effort to make positive mentions BOTH on board and in our post-cruise survey. Helping us in our post-cruise surveys, is having all names and notes written down throughout the cruise, so completing the post-cruise survey is quick and easy and fast (even while at a post-tour wifi connection!). Just remember - their careers and families depend on your positive comments and naming accolades!

Thanx for posting this ... exactly what I wanted to say :D:D

Leaving a note ("Tell Us How We Are Doing") at Guest Relations, during your cruise, can have immediate impact and is a wonderful way to reward crew excellence. Many passengers have no idea how important these positive notes can be to the praised crew members. Not sure that the aftercruise online evaluations has nearly as much impact.

Hank

Thank you for clarifying the shore leave question & explaining where all these surveys end up..:)

Cheers..

Fann1sh, we always take the time to compliment our Stewards & mention the extra service on our HAL survey's.. :)

I'm convinced it is appreciated, as it was just as important for our staff to receive letters with commendations where I worked..

Edited by serendipity1499

Thanks, Copper, for providing details! I always fill out comment cards as our cruise progresses when I see crew members doing a good great job. I also write down names to mention in the post cruise evaluation. I have also followed up with a written letter to HAL in Seattle.

Karen

I submit an occasional comment card. I would not spend thirty minutes of my cruise on the paper evaluations and find that the online surveys take more time than I will spend.

Why Not? :confused:

Isn't thanking someone for a job well done important to you? :confused:

When I started in the Airline business, all my evaluations were important to me & so where the verbal & written Thank You's from our clients...

When I got into Management , I made sure to write up an Employee who was complimented & send a copy of the client's letter with my memo to top Management in our company.. I knew even as a Manager, that receiving a compliment about a valuable employee had an eventual impact on our department budget.. If our employees continued to receive the compliments, either verbally or in writing, our headquarters would take care & not slash our budget..:)

Of course, we often could not hire as many as we would have liked, but at least we were able to keep those good employees, during the lean times..

We also mention by name any crew member who has provided good service. The only problem I find is that the surveys are time sensitive after the cruise. I've found that on a B2B by the time we get home the first survey is already expired. I have mentioned this to HAL on their survey. I agree that it's important to take the time & do this. Some people like to complain, then you should also be able to say something nice. There is that old saying, " if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything."

Allan

I carry a ‘Mini Composition Book’, cloth bound and found in Dollar Stores, which measures only 3.25 x 4.5 inches, 50 pages, and is only 3/8 inch thick, fitting easily in all pockets. When meeting new personal I have them print their full name and the name they wish to be addressed by. Then when filling out Let Us Know cards and the email survey I know that correct spelling will ensure the exact crew member is appropriately credited.

This booklet, which I carry the entire cruise, is also handy for recording wine notes, tips from crew and passengers, scheduled activities, and shore discoveries for future cruises. Keeping a paper clip on the back cover ensures safekeeping for receipts, etc. received.

Also on longer cruises I tip regularly so here I also keep a tally of gratuities for each employee as my memory could possibly trick me causing a favorite employee to miss out.

Thanks all CC members for your tips…my time to share.