Just got invited to my first cruise...and I am the coordinator!

My 85-year-old neighbor just sprang a surprise on me yesterday over lunch. "Would you like to go on a cruise? I will pay for you!" I could tell after talking with her for a while that this is something she has been wanting to do for a while and definitely wants to do before she leaves this earth.

My question to you all is--Can anyone help advise me as I also could tell that the details will be up to me...she does not even own a computer.

I do know she wants to cruise around the Gulf of Mexico (We are in Texas) and somewhere between 2 and 4 overnights would be ideal. I am 60 years old and in good shape--when we go to eat I have her hold my arm to walk from the parking lot. Neither of us are drinkers (or if she is, it's not much). She does use a walker for longer walks but would get around fine if just going down to the dining room, for instance. I think she would probably like a ship that offers some types of shows. I really know nothing about what there is to do if the ship goes to a port. Is there anything to do besides shopping, for instance? How would that play out with her walker?

I am looking for a reasonably-priced cruise, and from my research so far, I am thinking probably Royal Carribean or Celebrity--and I understand the ships that are a few years old are less expensive and that would suit us fine.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thank you for your consideration of our interest.

Welcome to Cruise Critic and how nice you are coordinating this cruise.

RCI and Celebrity are good choices.

Personally given her age I would go with Celebrity over RCI.

I would recommend getting assistance from a travel agent who specializes in cruises.

We are not allowed to recommend travel agents. If you have friends who cruise I would see if one of them can recommend an agent.

For excursions you could book ones that mainly involve highlights which you see from the bus rather then attempting to get on and off a bus and do a lot of walking.

Keith

Celebrity or Princess.

Celebrity has a more modern feel, nice cabins, good food, but personally I don't like their entertainment.

Princess has a cosier, traditional feel, the cabins are ok, food is good, and the entertainment is great.

Since you are in Texas... if you want to leave from Galveston you have three choices.... Carnival, Royal Caribbean or Disney.

You can get a 4 or 5 night cruise on Carnival or Royal.

4 nights normally go to Cozumel

5 nights to Cozumel and Progreso. or Costa Maya

Has she really considered the cost? For instance, are you going to share a cabin? Cabins are priced per person, double occupancy. So if you each have a cabin, double occupancy means you would be paying for two in each cabin. And ships are pretty big, lots of walking. It may be farther to the dining room than across a restaurant parking lot. Have her bring her walker. It's also going to be a long walk from where you check in in the terminal, to the ship. She might want to ask for wheelchair assistance for that. EM

Not much to add but you might check into a scooter or wheelchair if walking long distances is difficult. Cruise lines have an access desk that can help you out with those concerns.

If you want to cruise out of Galveston, Bevv has given you the options. Of those, I would probably choose Royal. Cabins are generally booked double occupancy so if you don't plan on sharing cabins, that's something to consider. Although I'm sure it would be easier to share the cabin so if something happens, you're there.

It appears Royal does 4 and 5 nights out of Galveston. https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/cruises/?departureCode_GAL=true&durationCode_2to5=true&icid=hpnvbr_pagehe_fnd_hm_awaren_938

If you choose to go with Royal, I would post over on their board. https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83

There will be lots of frequent cruisers there that can answer all your questions.

Ask her what she'd like, given the difference of the cruise lines! Celebrity, Princess and HAL don't have the entertainment options that RCI, Carnival or NCL will have.

As far as ports go....head to your library and check out a guidebook on the Caribbean/Mexico, etc....let her read up on the different places and put her 2 cents in on what she'd like to see and do! Many things don't require excursions, but you MUST know something about where you're going!

While I can't suggest a line for that age group that might have things you both would be interested in, I do have a suggestion for you.

You say she uses a walker, but if it is just a regular walker I would suggest getting a Rollator for the trip.

This is a link to the type at Amazon https://*******.com/y875w874

Something like this could be really helpful especially in port where seats might not be available if she needs it.

By 2 - 4 overnights do you means nights you will be on the ship or stops in different places? You can actually find a 7 day cruise in an inside as a really comparable cost to a 4 or 5 day cruise depending on the time of year.

I would also talk to your neighbor about room choices. In this case, something like a balcony room, though it will cost more, might be a better option then going the cheap way with an inside room. This way there is a place where you both can hang out and not have to worry about crowds of people at times.

Also as another added expense especially at her age you should have travel insurance. Generally Medicare will not cover any medical bills outside of the country. In anyone's case (and more so with your neighbor) a minor fall could end up costs tens of thousands of dollars out of pocket without travel insurance. If the couple extra hundred of dollars is off-putting, think of it in terms of home owners or auto insurance. Sure we never hope to have to use these things, but we still pay for them just in case!

If you have a computer or laptop, I would suggest sitting down with here and planning it together if possible. Don't just look at the cruise lines, but the ports and their options of things to do in port (excursions) also. Find out what she wants to see while on this cruise. But also don't be afraid to not book anything for ports if they don't interest her. Sure there won't be the same entertainment on the ship when in port, but it is generally a lot less crowded and you could enjoy things even like sitting on the deck getting some sun and watching the birds.

So, the invitation was really for you to research, plan and execute the trip, all while being a paid companion. If things are being left for you to do, I'd think twice about it, unless you really want to have a working holiday - one where your time isn't your own. Also, privacy is an issue, unless you're getting your own cabin - do you want to share the cabin with your 85 year old neighbour (I don't care how nice she might be!).

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I have to agree with those cautioning you. I have watched the elderly on cruises and it is a LOT of work for their healthy companions and caregivers. If she starts to get squeamish about things like travel insurance, shut the trip down. Go to insuremytrip.com to get an idea of prices for travel insurance but it is usually VERY expensive for people that old. It might be better to get the more inferior ship's travel insurance at that age.

If you know her habits, personality, and needs and still want to go, take some of the good advice you have been given. Personally, I think a balcony is pretty essential for an elderly person who isn't very mobile. Also, try to book a cabin near the elevator. Getting around a cruise ship requires a good deal of walking and YOU will be the one required to assist. Don't count on the crew for much help.

We took my mother-in-law on a cruise when she was 85. Our one regret is that she did not bring her walker (rollator) with her. At the time, she was not using it regularly at home. Of course she had us to assist her, poor DH most of the time. (I don't take elevators on ships.) Ours was a five-day cruise. That was a good length of time for her.

Call a local Travel Agent...that's what they do. You both have Passports? Get a Room with Balcony at a minimum if it's a 'Bucket LIst' trip. Collapsible Walker/Wheelchair will be a must. Pack 1 Suitcase apiece plus a carry-bag. Maybe just stay on board?? UNLESS the weather is perfect and there is a Mini-van Tour, it might be very hot. The SHIP ambiance itself will be a destination for a 1st-timer. Be in Galveston well ahead of time and ENJOY!!

We've traveled on MANY cruises with my elderly parents. I realize it's somewhat different than your circumstances but here are my suggestions. DO get travel insurance. Medicare will not cover any expenses. It's quite expensive if there is even a minor "hiccup" that requires medical attention. My Dad had a door hit his arm and required a visit to the doctor on board the ship for a nasty gash.

Do take the walker...and accept the assistance of the ship's crew. Royal Caribbean's crew has been FABULOUS to my parents, even helping them to get to their cabin when we were going on an excursion and they wanted to sit in the promenade area. A crew member heard us talking about wanting them to please let us help them to the cabin before we left. He came over and said he would personally make sure they got to their cabin.

If this is on her "bucket list" get a balcony cabin. It's wonderful to be able to sit and look at the water.

Get a cabin that is located as close to an elevator as possible. A travel agent that specializes in cruises can help you pick a cabin close to the elevator and and close to the Windjammer or Dining room, etc. We have never noticed any noise by being near the elevator and my parents loved being able to easily get to the elevator without going down the VERY long halls from their cabin. If you book two cabins the expense will be double but you could book connecting cabins, which would put you close by, should something happen but give each of you some privacy and separate bathrooms. If you don't mind sharing a cabin you would each have what amounts to a twin bed.

Try a short cruise just in case you don't enjoy each other's company as much as you think you might.

There are excursions that can even be taken by someone using a wheelchair. The ships excursions will tell you which excursions are accessible. Getting off the ship and just getting a short tour of an island can be a wonderful experience for her and for you.

You can order room service which is an additional charge, but it's only around $8, regardless of what you order and the $8 charge covers it completely no matter how much you order. Sometimes a meal on the balcony is one of the true pleasures of being on the ship and is well worth it if you are tired.

Ask for a large table when you book if you want to meet fellow cruisers for dinner. Ask for a table for two if you prefer to take you meals just with each other.

Book a show and make sure you head there with enough time to get seated because there are no seats reserved.

I think it's wonderful that you would coordinate this and help her experience something she's wanted to do. The most important thing I would suggest is the travel agent. They can do so much of the legwork for you and give you such great advice, but again, use one that specializes in cruises.