No air con in golden princess cabin questions

RecliningPanda

i am currently on a 15 day round trip from Syd to png, Vanuatu and New Caledonia. To make a long story short it's been 6 days since we noticed the air con wasn't working. It's day 11 of cruise and it's still not fixed. I want your opinions as to what sort of compensation we should seek as it's been tropical heat with no air con. We have resorted to napping in vista lounge to escape heat. No rooms available to relocate to. It's affecting two balcony cabins. The communicatons with the staff has been pathetic. Unless we go ask no one tells us anything.

Make sure to get names. Speak with Passenger Services and the Captain's Circle Host. Ask to be escalated to the head of Hotel Services. Be firm. Again, keep track or who you speak with, when you spoke with them, and their responses. You will likely receive nothing from the folks onboard or else will be offered some pathetic form of compensation. If it's pathetic refuse it. Document it. You will likely need to follow up with the shore folks if you want any kind of decent compensation.

No compensation necessary. Go complain st passenger services. Call and complain.

It will get fixed. They may give you a bottle of wine if you're nice about the complaints.

If it's been broken for 6 days it's pretty obvious nobody is taking care of the problem.

No compensation necessary. Go complain st passenger services. Call and complain.

It will get fixed. They may give you a bottle of wine if you're nice about the complaints.

As someone who has worked on the other side of passenger complaints regarding cabin conditions, I disagree, compensation is definitely warranted. Now, I will add a caveat, based on not having information from the OP, that whether or not the AC is "working" is a subjective thing. Typically, the cruise industry uses the same standards as the hotel industry, and will only warrant a cabin's AC to provide a temperature of 72-74*F (22-23*C). If the cabin is outside those parameters, then compensation should be offered, especially for multiple days.

As it has been multiple days, with apparently multiple complaints, it's not getting fixed, for one reason or another, and this needs to escalate, as noted to the Hotel Director (whatever title Princess uses for the top dog in the hotel). This kind of complaint deserves a face to face with him/her.

As it has been multiple days, with apparently multiple complaints, it's not getting fixed, for one reason or another, and this needs to escalate, as noted to the Hotel Director (whatever title Princess uses for the top dog in the hotel). This kind of complaint deserves a face to face with him/her.

After multiple complaints it is time to insist that Passenger Services communicate with headquarters customer service and open a complaint for you. Customer service will assign a complaint number. When you return home - or even immediately - send customer service an email documenting the problem. Calmly state the issue, provide a timeline for when you complained, who you talked to, any resolution attempted, and the result thereof. In return you will receive an automated email saying your communication was received and they will get back to you within a certain amount of time. The one time in all our cruises that we escalated a problem like that (upon the initial recommendation of the ship's passenger service staff) we had the issue (soot on a Royal Princess owners suite balcony rendering the balcony useless) acknowledged within a day or two and resolved (an OBC for our next - already booked - cruise) within two weeks.

As per Capriccio and others - make sure you document each contact with Passenger Services, including what was said and what the responses were. If the situation continues, ask that a file/complaint be opened with Princess. As soon as possible contact Princess yourself and as indicated - lay out the situation without getting emotional. Include how the defect affected your cruise experience (for us maintenance decided to fix the problem at 1 in the morning instead of during any of the five previous days when they knew about the situation). Our experience resulted in a formal apology, and several thousand dollars towards a future cruise.

In our experience everything worked out even though it was frustrating - the water feed behind the toilet leaked for five days of a Med cruise. It started small (moisture on the floor), then progressed to a trickle, at the end the floor was wet, the carpet outside the bathroom into the closet was soaked, and the carpet in the hall was wet. Each day Passenger Services informed us that maintenance indicated that they had fixed the leak. When we had to start wearing shoes in our own cabin not to get wet feet, I went and got about twenty towels and laid them outside the cabin to soak up the water - that is when it got fixed. We are of the belief that Passenger Services tried to get the problem resolved but it was the plumber that couldn't care less (twice we were standing with the supervisor of Passenger Services while he was on the phone with maintenance and they said the plumber had just been there and fixed the leak - we had been at the cabin the entire time, no one showed, and the water keep flowing.

Even though situations like this are frustrating, don't take it out on Passenger Services - in most cases they are trying to resolve the situation as well.

After multiple complaints it is time to insist that Passenger Services communicate with headquarters customer service and open a complaint for you. Customer service will assign a complaint number. When you return home - or even immediately - send customer service an email documenting the problem. Calmly state the issue, provide a timeline for when you complained, who you talked to, any resolution attempted, and the result thereof. In return you will receive an automated email saying your communication was received and they will get back to you within a certain amount of time. The one time in all our cruises that we escalated a problem like that (upon the initial recommendation of the ship's passenger service staff) we had the issue (soot on a Royal Princess owners suite balcony rendering the balcony useless) acknowledged within a day or two and resolved (an OBC for our next - already booked - cruise) within two weeks.

We were in your exact shoes. While I was rather vocal on CC about my complaints, I was very business like in my dealings with Princess. I received both an immediate OBC for the Maiden T/A and a nice FCC for our next cruise.....:):):)

Bob

Really? It's been 11 days. No air conditioning! Tropical heat and humidity. Some major compensation is surely due.

Hi Reclining Panda,

We recently returned from a 33 day cruise to Hawaii & South Pacific and experienced the same poor air conditioning on the Golden Princess as you did. A tech came to check it and said it was OK. However there was no improvement after his checking. During the day there was coolness, but I swear it that at night, when you need it most to sleep, the comfort level was limited. Crazy too that a heavy doona is standard on the bed. We requested a replacement brown blanket and even that was too warm. Most night we only needed a sheet.

All the public areas on deck 7 were super chilly in comparison. There was talk that one of the ship's generators was turned off at night to save fuel. I wish you luck with any compensation claim and sorry you experienced this.

Talk to the Captain's Circle host. They represent Princess on the ship. Make a note of each time you reported the problem, who you spoke to and the result, even if it was no result.

Maybe not. We have had a couple of issues on two different cruises. The Captain Circle Host refused to deal with anything that didn't have to do with loyalty levels.

Cheers, Denise

Make sure to get names. Speak with Passenger Services and the Captain's Circle Host. Ask to be escalated to the head of Hotel Services. Be firm. Again, keep track or who you speak with, when you spoke with them, and their responses. You will likely receive nothing from the folks onboard or else will be offered some pathetic form of compensation. If it's pathetic refuse it. Document it. You will likely need to follow up with the shore folks if you want any kind of decent compensation.

I think this is great advice from Thrak. Good luck on receiving some compensation.

Tony

Write a letter when you get home. The workers on board can't seem to do anything.

Carnival was so much better in that area. Didn't even ask for anything and was quite pleased with how generous they were when my cabin had to be gutted while unboard.

Wow Jill! Whatbhappened to your room that it had to be gutted? Flooding?

Wow Jill! Whatbhappened to your room that it had to be gutted? Flooding?

The AC was leaking. I put a bowl down to catch the drops because it took them a couple of days to fix it.

They ended up tearing out the entire ceiling and replacing the pipes. Everything was removed. Took days for them to dry the carpets afterward. I was on a B2B, so they upgraded me to a balcony for the second leg, gave me some OBC and the next time I cruised I saw the same customer service rep and he sent me 3 free drink vouchers. A class act!

On RCI years ago my cabin was completely flooded while on a B2B. Their response was for me to get over it. I left the ship and didn't sail the 2nd leg. After a letter to upper management I was given the $$ amount of the second cruise as a future cruise credit.

Maybe not. We have had a couple of issues on two different cruises. The Captain Circle Host refused to deal with anything that didn't have to do with loyalty levels.

Cheers, Denise

That was my experience, too. She was very polite about it and at least asked me when she saw me next if it was resolved, but she looked at me like I was crazy for going to her about the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Seriously, twice on two separate cruises with issues after we felt neglected to our problem we would write a nice professional letter and addressed it to the dept head on the ship. Within hours things were fixed. On our last cruise someone dining at our table had an issue that they had been unable to reconcile so we advised them of the letter route. A couple days later we saw them on an excursion and they thanks us as it had worked for them as well.

Talking to passenger services about a problem is a joke from past experiences. To get beyond them takes a letter.

framer

Hi Reclining Panda,

We recently returned from a 33 day cruise to Hawaii & South Pacific and experienced the same poor air conditioning on the Golden Princess as you did. A tech came to check it and said it was OK. However there was no improvement after his checking. During the day there was coolness, but I swear it that at night, when you need it most to sleep, the comfort level was limited. Crazy too that a heavy doona is standard on the bed. We requested a replacement brown blanket and even that was too warm. Most night we only needed a sheet.

All the public areas on deck 7 were super chilly in comparison. There was talk that one of the ship's generators was turned off at night to save fuel. I wish you luck with any compensation claim and sorry you experienced this.

Omg yes this so true vista lounge and parts of horizon court cold as hell. I'm in Baja 640. Times some air comes through but its about as weak as a baby fart and about as cold, most it's hot as hell. It was first reported 4th day and it's now day 13 and still not fixed. We only have two more days to go. No communication unless we go down to desk to ask. Today they offered me 900 compensation when for a solo cabin I spent five and a half grand. And this is only after we requested we speak to the hotel side manager but we keep getting the next step down. We have requested an appointment to see her twice only to be told they will get back to us and then never do.

We have had to camp out at vista lounge and international cafe until like 2am on most days to stay cool. They are so unwilling to be proactive in talking to us. And it's just so frustrating. And if I hear from one of the people at the pursers desk telling me the room is supposed to be 24 degrees or to close the balcony door. I will lose my mind. I'd have loved 24 degrees the last week.

The AC was leaking. I put a bowl down to catch the drops because it took them a couple of days to fix it.

They ended up tearing out the entire ceiling and replacing the pipes. Everything was removed. Took days for them to dry the carpets afterward. I was on a B2B, so they upgraded me to a balcony for the second leg, gave me some OBC and the next time I cruised I saw the same customer service rep and he sent me 3 free drink vouchers. A class act!

On RCI years ago my cabin was completely flooded while on a B2B. Their response was for me to get over it. I left the ship and didn't sail the 2nd leg. After a letter to upper management I was given the $$ amount of the second cruise as a future cruise credit.

I remember when your room on the vision flooded with Michelle. We then canceled the mariner cruise and had a great time on princess. Kudos to Carnival for a class act.