Will the NCL fleet become all mega ships as the smaller ships age?

Shellbelle28

Reading a thread this morning discussing the Joy moving to the US west coast and the Pearl going to Europe made me wonder is the Jewel class size ship going to disappear altogether as the NCL fleet ages? The Breakaway and Breakaway Plus and Epic classes are all near or above 4000 passenger capacity but I really enjoy cruising in the smaller 2500 or so passenger size ship. Are they filling those beasts every sailing?

The next class in the plan is smaller than the Breakaway Plus class. Project Leonardo ships are about 3300 passengers, I think, down from over 4000.

The logic of one ship that takes 4000 people a week to the same boring ports is lost on me, but I don’t have anyone that travels with me that enjoys water slides or go carts or mini golf or arcades or any of the other “features” that clutter up the larger ships. Families love them, so they’re built.

I’m a bit appalled that people are upset the go carts aren’t always available on the Bliss. You’re in freakin’ Alaska. Look around! If your kids don’t understand or appreciate the beauty of nature, just take them to the go cart track in your town and save a few grand.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• Haha 1

The next class in the plan is smaller than the Breakaway Plus class. Project Leonardo ships are about 3300 passengers, I think, down from over 4000.

The logic of one ship that takes 4000 people a week to the same boring ports is lost on me, but I don’t have anyone that travels with me that enjoys water slides or go carts or mini golf or arcades or any of the other “features” that clutter up the larger ships. Families love them, so they’re built.

I’m a bit appalled that people are upset the go carts aren’t always available on the Bliss. You’re in freakin’ Alaska. Look around! If your kids don’t understand or appreciate the beauty of nature, just take them to the go cart track in your town and save a few grand.

That made me spit my after dinner wine out, lol!! But so true imo

Have to agree with you on that. I realize that "at sea" days might be less interesting than ports, but the need for constant activity supplied by external toys seems a sad comment on the self reliance of a generation. But maybe back in 1450 old people were saying "Sheesh you need those newfangled books to keep your mind busy?" :halo:

Mega ships aren't for everyone and some of them will have challenges docking at select cruise terminals around the world ... of course, tendering is always an "option" #cough #cough for 4,000 pax - especially at low tides.

Of course, sea level is rising slowly from global warming.

Airlines around the world are still searching for a mix of aircrafts to serve their markets, jumbo jets are always the appropriate solution in the pursuit of revenue & economy of scales.

We really enjoy the Jewel Class Ships. Also the Dawn Class. We have never been interested in trying the BIG ships that NCL keeps producing, though our next cruise is on the Epic for a TA because of the DOS price we snatched up.

Wish Mr. Stewart could understand that not everyone wants to sail on a Mega Ships, hope that's not our only option on NCL for the future.

We really enjoy the Jewel Class Ships. Also the Dawn Class. We have never been interested in trying the BIG ships that NCL keeps producing, though our next cruise is on the Epic for a TA because of the DOS price we snatched up.

Wish Mr. Stewart could understand that not everyone wants to sail on a Mega Ships, hope that's not our only option on NCL for the future.

You will love the Epic DOS and Haven/POSH. We were in 17004 last year. Loved that suite!!! Which # are you in?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In 1450, the Captain was asking if anyone had a sextant yet, so he could find the way to Nassau.

Speaking of Nassau makes me think of the series from a few years back "Black Sails." A prequel to Treasure Island. Dont want to sail on THOSE ships!

the newer mega ships is more efficient in both engine performance and environment. In some ports, ships need to be equipped with a exhaust scrubber system, new ships have this and old ship do not until they are added at drydock.

the newer mega ships is more efficient in both engine performance and environment. In some ports, ships need to be equipped with a exhaust scrubber system, new ships have this and old ship do not until they are added at drydock.

Some ports like Tampa will always require a small ship unless cruise lines are willing to pay and raise the Skyway bridge, the smaller ships at this port barely clear the bridge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fortunately most of, if not all, the gem class ships have been refurbished within the past year or two. So I would imagine they wouldn’t do such work unless they were planning on keeping them around for another 5-7 years. Love these ships too. Especially the great out doors feature they offer. But the escape is still my favorite NCL ship. Love the waterfront feature!!!

Larger capacity ships are more efficient to operate with growing demand that keep rooms full. As mentioned, NCL is going for some mid-size ships next.

However, they continue to invest large amounts of money refirbing heir small ships. They just announced the refirb of the oldest ship in their fleet. This was planned last year, then cancelled leading to rumors of the Spirit’s demise. She’s back on the dry dock list for a Norwegian Edge upgrade.

Like the Jewel Class small ships better than the Mega ships. We have been on the Pearl, the Dawn and the Jewel and we already were booked with Friends on the Pearl. We were thinking small is better and we might try a Big ship in the FUTURE, since they seemed to be on the Eastern Coast. Guess the future is here and we will cruise on the NCL Joy, the Big ships are arriving on the West Coast. Oh JOY!! :rolleyes:

Bill and Ruth (Crusingalong)

With so many other lines going 180K, 200K, and RCCL continuing to go 220K plus GT, NCL's fleet might soon be seen as mid-sized.

I already view ncls newest ships as mid (or large) sized. They don't have mega ships. If Bliss is a mega ship, then what is Symphony?

Besides, in 5 years the same people whining about the big ships will be telling us how they won't sail on anything over 180k because they prefer the smaller ships...

The Dawn and Jewel-class ships are here to stay. They'll be doing a lot more globe-trotting which is actually good because the larger ships sail the same stale itineraries in the Caribbean and now the West Coast that I've done already. The good thing about Boston is, the harbor tidal flow makes it impossible to embark a ship of huge scale here because of the provisioning plus luggage loading and the height of the pier itself.

One ship I thought was doomed and is getting new life in all this is the Norwegian Spirit. She is a one-off for the US market for NCL and she is quite old now. She's getting a bow to stern refurbishment and going to China so she's safe. The other small ships (Sun and Sky) are doing the Cuba run because of restrictions in the port infrastructure there.

While NCL continues to make ships with unsightly deck space clutter like water slides and go kart tracks, there's more competition coming in and nipping at their heels without all the bells and whistles. MSC is making inroads into Miami now. Soon with three ships. I, for one, am looking forward to the Scarlett Lady's arrival from Virgin Voyages. A ship purpose built for ADULTS. Deck clutter be gone! :)

Great post and I'm relieved that the new ships scale down a little as we are 100% Jewel fans and avoid the larger ships like the plague (no kids see... but we get it).

One thought that occurs to me here though is that NCLH owns Oceania and Regent of course... who 'tend' to run smaller ships (thus far)... So even if they do go 'mega' at Norwegian they may view it that their portfolio of brands still has smaller even boutique options. Kinda depends if they start looking at it as an integrated brand family or 3 unrelated companies with a single owner.

Going all mega, would push us 'up-brand'. Which could be an up or out strategy, but I haven't noticed NCLH thinking that way (yet). FDR seems more focused on the bottom of the Norwegian bottom line, not the top.

I’m 55 and I enjoy the water slides at least a few times on a 7 day cruise...I can see the need for different ship sizes...I sail for the relaxation on the ship..if it goes to a port I want to see, so be it..

I already view ncls newest ships as mid (or large) sized. They don't have mega ships. If Bliss is a mega ship, then what is Symphony?

Besides, in 5 years the same people whining about the big ships will be telling us how they won't sail on anything over 180k because they prefer the smaller ships...

Titanic would be a mini-ship in today's world. :D

The "small" ships of today were once considered "mega" ships. When those ships were launched, I bet that those same people thought that those ships were too large.

Titanic would be a mini-ship in today's world. :D

The "small" ships of today were once considered "mega" ships. When those ships were launched, I bet that those same people thought that those ships were too large.

Lol. I've always said the same thing. Sovereign was once the biggest in the world. If CC existed long ago, imagine all the "floating mall" comments we could have enjoyed.