Recreational Marijuana and Alaska Cruises

K32682

TSA will have dogs to sniff for explosives. They are responsible for TRAVEL security.

CBP and DEA will have drug sniffing dogs. They are responsible keeping things, like drugs, out of the country.

As Canada is legalizing marijuana, is it like the US? Where states/areas have legalized it on different levels, yet is still illegal on a National level? Is ask because if it's legal all over Canada, it would seem surprising that CBP would sniff out the boat and passengers coming from an area where it's legal and it's legal in their country. Just seems like a waste of resources.

I tossed around the idea of taking some edibles on my next cruise. But I looked up the laws in China(where we are flying into) and their views on pot. 15-20 years if caught....that's a hard pass for me.

As Canada is legalizing marijuana, is it like the US? Where states/areas have legalized it on different levels, yet is still illegal on a National level? Is ask because if it's legal all over Canada, it would seem surprising that CBP would sniff out the boat and passengers coming from an area where it's legal and it's legal in their country. Just seems like a waste of resources.

When legalization occurs in Canada it will apply across the entire country. It's a federal law.

When legalization occurs in Canada it will apply across the entire country. It's a federal law.

Hi

Even still, current understanding is that laws will be very restrictive in terms of where products can be used. As of now, it will be permitted only in private residences...nowhere in public places, or vehicles. There are also many other restrictions that are intended to be put in place.

This is why "policing" is still a major concern for authorities. In fact it would sound from current discourse that "policing" would in fact be stepped up from current norms (just a different focus). I am very interested to see how this plays out.

Hi

Even still, current understanding is that laws will be very restrictive in terms of where products can be used. As of now, it will be permitted only in private residences...nowhere in public places, or vehicles. There are also many other restrictions that are intended to be put in place.

This is why "policing" is still a major concern for authorities. In fact it would sound from current discourse that "policing" would in fact be stepped up from current norms (just a different focus). I am very interested to see how this plays out.

Interesting...thanks for the info

There are some variations among provinces on the when, where and how cannabis can be purchased and used but these provincial offenses are not criminal offenses.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/what-you-need-know-about-pot-legalization-1.4715920

Eventually, like alcohol, these restrictions will be eased province-by-province. Already a change of government in Ontario means marijuana will be sold in private sector outlets not just government stores.

Actually not necessarily)

NOT everyone who reads CC is from U.S.

Why should those not from U.S. be expected to know U. S. Federal Law vs. (50) State Laws???

I don't know about Canada NATional Law vs. Provinces....

Because ignorance is not either an accuse or a virtue. When I travel to Germany, Italy, Japan, England, Singapore...and Canada , for starters, I am expected to know and obey, not some , but ALL their laws. Failure to do so will end you up with a fine on the spot in many countries to prison time. Gee I did not know wont cut it anywhere.

In talking with the US councils/ embassy folks around the world they tell me if you call up, having committed a crime. they will respond " Thanks for calling, I hope you have a nice day.." CLICK. Bringing edible dope is the same as any other form, ....

One question, your going on a wonderful cruise, an ocean experience of travel, why would you need to get loaded on drugs???? Is its attraction /addiction that powerful on you that you can only have a good time by getting loaded???

One question, your going on a wonderful cruise, an ocean experience of travel, why would you need to get loaded on drugs???? Is its attraction /addiction that powerful on you that you can only have a good time by getting loaded???

For the same reason that hundreds of thousands of cruisers like to consume alcohol on board. Or are you equally judgmental and priggish about adult beverages too?

I guess I would ask why do you care? Maybe vacation is the only time in their year they let loose. Maybe they normally do heroin and vacation is where they go to clean up a little on the wine coolers of the drug world.

Their activity affects you zero percent. Weird thing to get worked up about. Sounds like you could use a vacation. May I suggest a cruise?

Because ignorance is not either an accuse or a virtue.

Interesting juxtaposition. Since you are apparently ignorant of the fact that medical users use it for medical purposes, not to get 'loaded'.

Creative users can make or buy vape cartridges that contain their drug of choice and they can enjoy them in any smoking section, usually without anyone noticing or having a problem.

I am not one of them, but after working in drug/alcohol rehab and recovery for 20 years, I know how inventive users can be. Joke was a guy's urine sample came back negative, that's the good news. The bad news was that he's pregnant. Of course, he substituted his GF's clean urine for the sample he was supposed to submit.

How very sad.

Thanks for sharing.

I tossed around the idea of taking some edibles on my next cruise. But I looked up the laws in China(where we are flying into) and their views on pot. 15-20 years if caught....that's a hard pass for me.

Because it is illegal on the Federal level in the US.

So likely to be even more dogs now on cruises from Canada, as many people will think they can bring some back.

In talking with the US councils/ embassy folks around the world they tell me if you call up, having committed a crime. they will respond " Thanks for calling, I hope you have a nice day.." CLICK. Bringing edible dope is the same as any other form, ....

Not exactly.

They will take your information, and if convicted, they will come visit you every so often in prison.

They cannot and will not do ANYTHING to get you out of trouble or out of the country.

Not exactly.

They will take your information, and if convicted, they will come visit you every so often in prison.

They cannot and will not do ANYTHING to get you out of trouble or out of the country.

Back in the day (1980s and 1990s), and I presume now, the Consulate officials will provide a list of attorneys too.

They have booze cruises, why not? Alcohol is not that great for you. No different puffing on a joint than sitting down for a cocktail or glass of wine before dinner.

Huge difference. One is totally legal to consume and the other stuff is illegal under current federal laws. Anyone who can't tell the difference is going about at his own peril.

I do believe most people don't know the different between THC and CBD so the assumption will always be anything to do with cannabis equates to "getting loaded."

Low THC marijuana is like no-alcohol beer. Not worth the bother.

I vote yes, but only as an edible. People already freak out about secondhand cigarette smoke. Can you imagine the reaction to secondhand weed smoke?

I think everyone knows federal law trumps state laws. No need to lecture. This topic is good for discussion purposes. Frankly, if people HAVE to have some sort of out-of-self experience (I just like to relax, so a few cocktails won't hurt, right?), I'd rather everyone gets stoned rather than drunk. In my experience, I've never seen a bunch of women at a bachelorette party flinging off their tops at the pool after a couple of hits of hashish. Give them half a dozen rum punches, however....

I'm with you and thank you for your statement. I have never done drugs or marijuana but my husband has used it for pain management. People want their right to smoke free and others want their freedom to smoke. Anyway, I can't see how they would know edibles in your bag unless they have drug dogs at embarkation.

I'm with you and thank you for your statement. I have never done drugs or marijuana but my husband has used it for pain management. People want their right to smoke free and others want their freedom to smoke. Anyway, I can't see how they would know edibles in your bag unless they have drug dogs at embarkation.

If they think that people are beginning to bring edibles on board, you can be sure that they will start to have drug sniffing dogs at embarkation.

DON

If they think that people are beginning to bring edibles on board, you can be sure that they will start to have drug sniffing dogs at embarkation.

DON

I'd be willing to bet people have been bringing edibles on board for years. I'd also be willing to bet people have been bringing back marijuana to smoke from ports in the caribbean as it is mostly legal and easy to get from locals.

I was on a Carnival cruise and took a fishing excursion set up through Carnival. Once the boat was away from the dock, one of the other Carnival passengers pulled out a joint to enjoy on the trip and offered to anyone else who wanted to enjoy. Some enjoyed, some passed, the boat captain just chucked about it and droke us to catch some fish.

It be willing to bet, there are people already taking the risk. There has probably been pot and/or more on every cruise you have been on.

, one of the other Carnival passengers pulled out a joint to enjoy on the trip and offered to anyone else who wanted to enjoy..

A great way to catch unknown gems and diseases from some total strangers. No thanks.

[quote=txflood33;56706322I'd also be willing to bet people have been bringing back marijuana to smoke from ports in the caribbean as it is mostly legal and easy to get from locals.

Where in the Caribbean is it legal to smoke/sell weed?

On the smell issue it doesn't even need to be an issue. I live in an 800 SQ ft apt, and if you walked in 1 minute after I have 'medicated' you wouldn't smell a thing. Vaporizing MJ isn't like vaping nicotine e-juices. My vaporizer gives off no smell - my neighbors in adjacent apts and upstairs don't even know I am a user, because even though I live where it is legal I keep it very low profile.

That said, I'd never risk it somewhere where it would be illegal.