Dropping someone else’s luggage?

hopscotch431

Hello,

My family is sailing on Anthem of the Seas from Bayonne. Some have a separate trip before the cruise and will be flying in to NJ the morning of departure. They asked me to bring their cruise luggage since I’m driving but I’m planning to board the boat a couple of hours ahead of them. Can you drop someone else’s bags? Or is their a need to show ID at luggage drop off? Thanks!!

I've never sailed from Bayonne, but I've never been asked any questions by the porters regarding the luggage, other than them making sure our cruise documents, passports, etc aren't packed. And they check that there's a luggage tag for the proper sailing, but that's it. You should be fine.

Just one suggestion. Since the longshoremen will tell you that they will drop all the luggage in the water or deliver it all to the wrong ship if you don't pay them enough money for what is really a free service, make sure that you have enough small bills to tip them what they feel is an appropriate amount..

DON

Thanks again for all the additional replies. It sounds like my in-laws can rest assured knowing I can drive their bags down and drop them off and my son and I will be able to board early without waiting for their arrival -- a win win for everyone!

Just one suggestion. Since the longshoremen will tell you that they will drop all the luggage in the water or deliver it all to the wrong ship if you don't pay them enough money for what is really a free service, make sure that you have enough small bills to tip them what they feel is an appropriate amount..

DON

While I agree that they expect a tip - which is also customary IMO - I have never once in 26 yearS of cruising ever heard any comments by any of the porters regarding a disruptive action towards your luggage if you do not tip them. And as they are operating in plain sight with security cameras involved, what you suggest would be somewhat difficult IMO.

While I agree that they expect a tip - which is also customary IMO - I have never once in 26 yearS of cruising ever heard any comments by any of the porters regarding a disruptive action towards your luggage if you do not tip them. And as they are operating in plain sight with security cameras involved, what you suggest would be somewhat difficult IMO.

Completely agreed. All of our porters have been kind and professional and have never uttered a threat against our suitcases. :DWe are happy to tip them for their help and get our vacation started. :)

Completely agreed. All of our porters have been kind and professional and have never uttered a threat against our suitcases. :DWe are happy to tip them for their help and get our vacation started. :)

...hoping he meant that tongue in cheek as I'd hate to give newer cruisers the wrong impression of things.

DON

In over 30 cruises I have never had a longshoreman say anything of the sort. What you are reporting is typical fake news that a few people on CC like to use to push the idea of tipping guys who make 6 figures a year.

...hoping he meant that tongue in cheek as I'd hate to give newer cruisers the wrong impression of things.

I was being somewhat sarcastic. However, if you look at many of the posts on CC about tipping the baggage handlers, many people are completely scared that something awful will happen to their luggage if they don't tip. It seems as if the longshoreman scare campaign has worked.

My point that the OP should have enough small bills to tip them if they feel that they should tip was a useful suggestion however. What if they only had $20s. The longshoreman is not about to make change so they will be stuck between giving no tip or giving a $20 tip.

DON

It seems as if the longshoreman scare campaign has worked.

Again, what scare campaign? I have not experienced any of this. Perhaps comments such this on CC are perpetuating a perception, but I have never experienced anything directly from the porters to imply a "tip me or else" message.

I was being somewhat sarcastic. However, if you look at many of the posts on CC about tipping the baggage handlers, many people are completely scared that something awful will happen to their luggage if they don't tip. It seems as if the longshoreman scare campaign has worked.

My point that the OP should have enough small bills to tip them if they feel that they should tip was a useful suggestion however. What if they only had $20s. The longshoreman is not about to make change so they will be stuck between giving no tip or giving a $20 tip.

DON

And since the OP wants to drop off a few cabins worth of luggage, a $20 tip wouldn't be out of the question.

Hello,

My family is sailing on Anthem of the Seas from Bayonne. Some have a separate trip before the cruise and will be flying in to NJ the morning of departure. They asked me to bring their cruise luggage since I’m driving but I’m planning to board the boat a couple of hours ahead of them. Can you drop someone else’s bags? Or is their a need to show ID at luggage drop off? Thanks!!

Make sure the luggage is tagged with their cabin number... and name. p

We have taken a Princess transfer from Intercontinental Hotel Miami to Fort Lauderdale.

We were asked to identify our luggage, both at the hotel, after it had been collected from outside our hotel room and when it was offloaded from transfer bus, before giving it to porters !!

Maybe it's different when you drive yourself.

Hate to give a different response, and please note I have never sailed from Bayonne, but just a comment.

Last year sailing the Navigator out of Miami I was asked for my passport by the luggage handler, or a picture ID and name checked against luggage.

Took a lot of people by surprise. Many of us discussed this as we waited with printed Seapass papers etc. inside the terminal. We were experienced cruisers in the diamond/diamond plus line. All agreed we didn't remember doing this before. Not sure if this is something done in Miami, or someone mentioned we were on high terrorist alert nationally at the time. So it can happen.

You were asked to identify your luggage for the purpose of assuring , everyone saw their bags a nd that none were left behind or not off loaded from the bus.

That may very well be the case. We weren't advised why we needed to identify them. This was several years ago on first cruise ex Fort Lauderdale.

These days we do our own thing, just fly to FLL, spend few days , then taxi to port, where no identification of luggage is deemed necessary.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks again for all of the great input. It was easy as could be dropping all the luggage on behalf of other passengers. Everyone had their stateroom tags on and the porter just took them all and put them in the right spot (since our cabins weren't together). Actually the entire process of boarding was great and we were among the first on the ship. Now getting off was another story entirely. :( Thanks again for all the helpful feedback.