Rome Hotel Dilemma- stay in Rome or 20 minutes out in lovely hotel?

nini

This will be our first time (3 active adults in our late 60's) to Europe.

We plan on arriving 4 nights pre cruise to explore Rome, October 2018.

I have SCOURED CC and Trip Ad---or and found a lovely

historical castle like hotel 20 minutes north of Rome. (We booked the Tower Suite

which has a terrace with a 360 degree view of the grounds and countryside)

4 nights is $1155.00 US dollars

They have a free shuttle to the train station which then takes 20 minutes to Rome.

We really want to explore Rome and not get "burned" by a crummy room and be ripped off.

I have found other hotels in Rome but close to the Villa Borhhese are that seem nice with

a roof terrace or balcony in some rooms. In Rome costs much more. But, it may be worth it!

We are newbies and would it just be much better to stay in Rome?

Thanks all!

Stay in Rome, stay in Rome, stay in Rome.

In the evening Rome is magical. It's great to be able to stroll around after dinner (along with everyone else out for the evening) without having to worry about getting to a train station, schedules, shuttle timings, etc.

Besides, you may also want to pop into your hotel during the day for a few minutes rest, to change your shoes, drop a shopping bag, or what have you.

There are a number of excellent hotels in the city center -- some are frequently recommended here. Even the Villa Borghese area I consider a bit removed from the excitement, unless you just prefer that.

Take a look at the Albergo del Senato. Wonderful traditional Italian hotel with a great rooftop terrace for drinks and it overlooks the Pantheon and wonderful piazza below. Some rooms have views of the Pantheon as well and a couple have a nice terrace.

I agree...stay in Rome! The evenings can be just as magical as the day and strolling back to your accommodations after a wonderful dinner and a glass of limoncello can be the perfect ending to the day. Have you checked out VRBO for an apartment? 4 nights is very doable and then you have an entire apartment instead of just a hotel room. We found one for our family of 4 very close to the Piazza Navona that let us walk to the Spanish Steps, the Borghese Gardens, the Vatican, the Pantheon and more. While the one you found sounds lovely, for your first visit to Rome you will want to stay in Rome!

I guess I could understand putting more weight on the hotel part of the decision if you were going to spend a lot of time there, but your first trip to Europe shouldn't be spent hiding out in your room. You'll want to be out seeing and doing ... most of the time that you're in the hotel room your eyes will be closed, so why give it so much emphasis in your decision? As long as the room is relatively comfortable, and it's clean and safe there's nothing to feel "burned" about.

Another stay in Rome here. Yes you might enjoy a lovely hotel but being in Rome can't be beat. In my opinion anyway. As others have said evenings in Rome are awesome and to me waking up and walking out of our hotel to "feel" Rome is such a great experience.

Stay in Rome--like many are suggesting. It is lovely in the evening and being able to check in to your hotel during the day for a power nap is a bonus. We stayed at Hotel Farnese during our stay, near Campo de Fiori and 5 minutes from Trastavere and its delicious restaurants. The rooms weren't large, but adequate, and it did have breakfast and a rooftop terrace to enjoy a glass of wine.

When my cousin and her husband went to Rome, they stayed outside of the city and she said she would never do that again. They found it very tiring to spend the entire day wandering around and not be able to go to her hotel to change her shoes or just grab a quick rest. We are all in our 60s and active too.

I agree with cruisemom The Del Senato is our favorite in Rome....We are there usually every year, I know it has been going up in price over the years...I should quit recommending it! But the location and the rooftop bar is the best!! I would not want to be on the commuter trains daily to come into the city. You really want to stay in the city to really soak up the local flavor!!

WOW! I am so very grateful for wonderful and knowledgeable CC

people!!! I very much appreciate your responses and I am reviewing

my piles of notes on all of the hotel research I have done.

If even Keith has to look and look and look, now I feel validated

on being a "Research Demon". ;) I am also armed with Rick Steve's

book on Italy.

I really feel that mentioning being able to pop back into the hotel

and freshen up is very important as well as soaking in Rome at night.

Happy sailing to all!

Back to the search...

WOW! I am so very grateful for wonderful and knowledgeable CC

people!!! I very much appreciate your responses and I am reviewing

my piles of notes on all of the hotel research I have done.

I don't think you'll be sorry. Good luck with your search. If you need more feedback as you narrow down choices, feel free to ask.

• 3 months later...

Hello All-

We decided on a hotel in the Campo de' Fiori area and think

this is much better for us- convenient for running around Rome.

THANK YOU all for your suggestions and enlightenment!

Yes, this will work out really well for us. I have made our reservations

for our early entry tour for the Vatican and also for an "Underground"

Colosseum, Forum tour. We will implement our own guided walk per

Rick Steves and Cruisemom for a lovely stroll from Campo de Fiori

to the Spanish Steps. :cool:

The other huge benefit of being in Rome is that you will be able to be a little more independent. I know that it is great to travel with friends but it is also nice to be able to wander around on your own and meet up a couple of hours later. This would be much harder in your castle (lovely as it sounds). I have travelled with family and woken a couple of hours before our planned breakfast time and so have gone for a wander on my own. It is relaxing and much better than getting frustrated that other members of the party have a different tolerance for walking than you.

You are so right. There are very few people that we would choose to travel with.

We love mornings and evenings in cities like Rome, Florence, etc. We think cruisers who go there for only a quick day trip loose so much of the experience in those cites and in others. The cities take on a different personality after sunset. A walk in the early morning prior to breakfast, when the city is just becoming alive, is wonderful.

Likewise, sitting in an outdoor cafe, sipping wine, and watching the sun set is anther pleasure for us. Then a stroll around the lit up and active squares, Fiori, Navona, or a walk across the bridge to the outdoor market stalls near Castel d'Angelo.

You will miss this part of the charm of Rome if you stay outside the city.

Edited by iancal