Semi *LIVE* from the Emerald!

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 02:01 PM.
Michigan
9,908 Posts
Joined Dec 2003
Originally posted by Thrak
If you make it to Wheelhouse tell Darshawn, Chris, Bruno, Mike, and Anne Marie that "Tallisker Michael" says, "HI!" and if you see a tall young man from Jamaica named Noel also tell him that "Mom and Pop" say "HI!".

You could also let all of them know they were mentioned by name on the Princess survey.
Originally posted by nukesubsailor
You can also tell them the evening Wheelhouse crew were as a group mentioned on the Princess survey for ignoring customers while they hooped and hollered around the bar so loud that the singer on stage could not be heard. When we did get waited on it was only because we stood and waved down a waiter.
Sorry to hear you had such bad service at the Wheelhouse.
We were there almost every night before dinner (6:30 - 7:30) and had such wonderful service that we also mentioned them (in a positive way) on the survey.
I never saw them being loud (although on a couple of occasions some of the younger passengers
were very loud) and we thought they were amongst some of the best , most attentive bar staff on the ship.

To the OP (socaljo)
Whatever you do make sure you go to ALL of Dave's music trivias in the evening. We have never attended a trivia before this cruise but fortunately caught one (in Explorer) near the beginning of the cruise and thereafter attended every single one. Dave is not only a great singer and great entertainer but an absolute riot.
He's by far the best CD we've ever had in our 40 plus cruises!!!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Karen

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance
I hope you dance
I hope you dance

Lee Ann Womack

Chico, California
9,549 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
The only place we had difficulty getting served was Explorers. We practically had to wave pom poms in order to get service. We saw a lot of folks trying to get the attention of the servers there. Weird.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Thrak

Not Elite but having fun working on it...

Palmdale, Ca
33,881 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
OP;

I hope you are enjoying your cruise.....

Bob
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Future: Star Princess Hawaii R/T From LA 11/18
Future: Emerald Princess Alaska R/T From from Los Angeles 04/18
Pacific Princess Panama Canal Cruise 05/17 - 17 Days
Caribbean Princess Iceland/Norway T/A 09/16 - 17 Days **First Princess Elite Cruise**
Caribbean Princess Iceland/Norway T/A 09/15 - 16 Days
Golden Princess West Coast Getaway 04/15 - 3 Days
Royal Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/13 - 18 Days Inaugural T/A Crossing
Sapphire Princess Hawaii R/T From LA 03/13 - 14 Days
Ruby Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/11 - 18 Days
Golden Princess Hawaii R/T From LA 02/11 - 14 Days
Ruby Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/09 - 18 Days
Diamond Princess AUS/NZ 01/09 - 12 Days
Emerald Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/08 - 18 Days
Celebrity Constellation British Isles/Norway 07/06 - 14 Days
Celebrity Summit Alaska Repo 05/05 - 14 Days
Celebrity Summit Panama Canal 10/02 - 14 Days
RCCL Rhapsody OTS Alaska 09/01 - 7 Days
RCCL Splendour OTS Baltic/Northern Europe 09/99 - 12 Days
HAL Veendam Eastern Caribbean 07/96 - 7 Days
Carnival Holiday Western Caribbean 07/93 - 7 Days

240 Days At Sea: 167 Days Princess , 42 Days Celebrity. 19 Days RCCL, 7 Days HAL, 7 Days Carnival.....

My Cruise Pictures on Flickr

Roll Call Thread

Roll Call Thread
Arlington, VA
678 Posts
Joined Aug 2014
We had wonderful service at the Wheelhouse Bar on our month-long cruise last month to Hawaii, Tahiti and Samoa. Happy hour was a zoo, but that's what happy hours are supposed to be--people getting together and having lots of fun. Each time we entered the Wheelhouse bar, the bar staff met us at the door, and immediately sought seating for us. Service did take longer than at other venues, but that was because the Wheelhouse was packed, not because the servers weren't working. All we saw were servers working as fast as they could to serve everyone as quickly as possible. That goes to show how two people can look at the same event and see totally different things.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
2017 Emerald Princess, Hawaii, Tahiti and Samoa
2017 Royal Princess, Western Mediterranean
2016 Caribbean Princess, Iceland and Norway Explorer
2016 Star Princess, South America Cape Horn and Strait of Magellan
2015 Caribbean Princess, Classic Canada and New England
2015 Caribbean Princess, North Cape and Summer Solstice in Norway
2015 Caribbean Princess, Grand Turk, Turks & Caicos
2014 Viking Fontane, Elegant Elbe, Krakow, Poland to Berlin
2013 Viking Embla, Passage to Eastern Europe, Budapest to Bucharest
2010 Viking Helvetia, Rhine Getaway, Amsterdam to Basel, Switzerland
2008 Viking Neptune, Romantic Danube, Budapest to Nuremberg
2005 Royal Caribbean Rhapsody of the Seas, Western Caribbean
1999 Renaissance Cruises, Holy Land and Greek Isles
1997 Royal Caribbean Sun Viking, Southern Caribbean
1994 Clipper Cruises, Nantucket Clipper, British Virgin Islands
1991 Royal Princess (original), Eastern Caribbean
1990 Royal Caribbean Sun Viking, Black Sea
1989 Island Princess (original), Baltic Sea
1988 Carnival Jubilee, Eastern Caribbean
Huntington Beach, CA
741 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
Originally posted by Sadebud
Hi Jo,

It's me, Tracy, from the Crown SA cruise in January! Have a fabulous cruise (with none of the "issues" we had in January!), will be following your Semi-Live enviously. We don't sail again until Nov '18....on the Royal down to the ABC Islands. That will be our "make up" cruise from SA!

Cheers,
Tracy
Hi Tracy!! How the heck are you?? We had a great cruise! No issues once we got sailing, other than it went by too quickly!
Mike and I are doing a TA in April 2018 on the Regal! And he's insisting (twisting my arm...) that I do a couple more small cruises to get me to Elite by the time we do his retirement cruise the following spring, the 28 day hawaii, tahiti, etc! It's hard work to be the one to make Elite....but if I must...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
JOANNE
I wanna be walking those decks again soon....

Upcoming: Cabos San Lucas Getaway Nov 2017
Northern European Passage April 2018
Hawaii, Tahiti, Samoa March 2019
2017 Royal Princess, Mediterranean
2017 Ruby Princess, CA Coastal
2017 Crown Princess, South America - Cape Horn
2016 Island Princess, Panama Canal-Ocean to Ocean

2015 Ruby Princess, CA Coastal
2014 Golden Princess, Ensenada
2011 Golden Princess Hawaii
2009 Sapphire Princess Mexican Riviera
[color=Blue][font=Comic Sans MS]
2001 Grand Princess Western Carribean
1995 RCCL Viking Serenade Catalina/Ensenada
1994 RCCL Viking Serenade, Catalina/Ensenada
1988 Ocean Cruises Baltic Sea/Stockholm/Copenhagen
Huntington Beach, CA
741 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
Originally posted by cmdchiefthom
SocialJo,

I'm just curious about the nightlife above decks at the outdoor bar areas. On some recent cruises aboard NCL, the pool bar area was shut down by 8:30 or so! That left the only bars open down below deck. Are the outdoor venues open late in the evening aboard the Emerald Princess?

Thom
Hi Thom
The Calypso Bar (by the pools on 15) is open till Midnight according to the Patter. Hope you enjoy your cruise!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
JOANNE

2001 Grand Princess Western Carribean
1995 RCCL Viking Serenade Catalina/Ensenada
1994 RCCL Viking Serenade, Catalina/Ensenada
1988 Ocean Cruises Baltic Sea/Stockholm/Copenhagen
Huntington Beach, CA
741 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
Hello friends! We're back from a wonderful experience! My pal had an awesome first cruise! She's hooked! It was so sweet to watch her see the Piazza for the 1st time, mouth agape and head swiveling, trying to take it all in!

Our initial internet glitch that delayed our sailing was the only issue, sail-away in the dark isn't quite the same... Our cabin C102 and our cabin stewardess, Tania, were both wonderful. We had late trad dining in the Botticelli dining room, Jeckiriz "Jack", and his ever-smiling assistant took great care in making sure we were all satisfied with our selections. Even kindly interrupting us, to get our orders, because we were all yakking so much, he couldn't find a break in the conversations! Obviously we had fun table-mates too!

We only did one trivia, my pal was getting worn out, I only sleep a max of 6 hours, and never expected her to do the same (I'm good at dressing quickly & getting out with my Kindle, to allow my cabin-mate to sleep like normal people do). By the 3rd morning of getting up with me, she fell asleep after breakfast, unintentionally. I came & went for 3 hrs, checking on her, adding to the note I'd left her. But at 3 hrs, that's it, Nap Time is OVER! She couldn't believe she'd slept that long, I laughed & said, "Yes, having this much fun is HARD work!"

She joined in the Adult Pool Game competition that Dave (the CD) ran. He is hilarious, and it was a scream to watch the games! She had a blast. I also introduced her to my new favorite drink that I'd had on the Royal this summer (darn you, Ferdi (on the Royal) for suggesting that yummy one to me!) It's called a Milky Way, Grey Goose, Bailey's & Kahlua, with a little chocolate syrup decorating the frosted martini glass. How do I spell decadent now??? M-I-L-K-Y- W-A-Y!
Unfortunately, I must continue this in a few hours. DH had to deal with a house flood while we were gone, contractors will be back here shortly, it's only the beginning of the fun around here...up next, will be our Cabo time experiences!

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
JOANNE