Insurance, a situation to avoid

kalos

We read posts on here of people who have insurance and tell us they are covered for cruising.

That maybe true but I was reading of a woman who seemed to be Insured but not for the area

she was cruising in.

She had Europe insurance but took ill in Mexico which is turning out to be a very costly mistake

for her and her family who just want her back home.

A timely reminder for us to check our policy's are fit for purpose for the region of the world we will be

cruising or taking holidays in that area .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-42895334

I have an Annual Travel Insurance policy which covers for European Travel. The advantage of annual policies as opposed to single trip is that you are also covered for week end hotel breaks etc. You must upgrade as soon as you book up for outside the area mentioned and go worldwide cover including USA and Caribbean, it's as simple as that.

Regards John

Saw that article kalos. What a shocker! As you say, important to check the small print which I did after reading the thread you referred to recently which raised the issue of whether a policy actually covered cruising.

World wide cover is another important element as this poor lady discovered. I think too you have to check if 'Worldwide' actually includes the USA (the Caribbean is included with the USA) as surprisingly I've read that 'Worldwide' can sometimes exclude the States.

Interestingly our cover includes some hazardous activities like paragliding (not that I'll be doing that!:eek:) although you have to pay an additional premium.

However the one thing they wouldn't cover even by paying extra was quad bikes. They must have had lots of claims - I suppose the demographic who are likely to hire them makes this a high risk activity but even so to be singled out as something they wouldn't cover at any cost bears keeping in mind.

It was so simple years ago when you got travel insurance with your booking included or as an extra amount without having to give medical details. Insurance for everything, not just holidays, is very complex and I am sure this couple are not the only ones who go on holiday with incorrect insurance.

Many thanks for flagging this. We have an extremely affordable annual travel policy, which covers all cruising eventualities, but I’ve just double checked and it’s European cover only, which hasn’t been an issue to date, but we are doing a USA & Canada Cruise later this year so I shall need to sort out additional cover when the policy comes up for renewal next month.

...and if like us, going on a Northern Lights cruise, check what activities are, and are not covered! Most people going on a cruise do not have winter sports cover......and Snowmobiling is not covered unless you have such cover. I also discovered that due to a medical condition, I am not covered for a Hisky ( edit: or Husky even....!) ride.....although I am for a reindeer ride. Just pays to check that small print, very carefully. And then check it again...

Edited by Mysticalmother

...and if like us, going on a Northern Lights cruise, check what activities are, and are not covered! Most people going on a cruise do not have winter sports cover......and Snowmobiling is not covered unless you have such cover. I also discovered that due to a medical condition, I am not covered for a Hisky ride.....although I am for a reindeer ride. Just pays to check that small print, very carefully. And then check it again...

Hisky sounds like it's risky and the insurers have loaded accordingly.

Lol John

...and if like us, going on a Northern Lights cruise, check what activities are, and are not covered! Most people going on a cruise do not have winter sports cover......and Snowmobiling is not covered unless you have such cover. I also discovered that due to a medical condition, I am not covered for a Hisky ride.....although I am for a reindeer ride. Just pays to check that small print, very carefully. And then check it again...

Thanks for that also. We are indeed Northern Lights hunting next month and I have booked a skidoo ride, so will need to check that as well. Good job that Reindeer rides are covered as Father Christmas couldn’t risk being uninsured transporting all those billions of expensive gifts ;)

We read posts on here of people who have insurance and tell us they are covered for cruising.

That maybe true but I was reading of a woman who seemed to be Insured but not for the area

she was cruising in.

She had Europe insurance but took ill in Mexico which is turning out to be a very costly mistake

for her and her family who just want her back home.

A timely reminder for us to check our policy's are fit for purpose for the region of the world we will be

cruising or taking holidays in that area .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-42895334

Our annual travel insurance covers the USA plus it covers for cruises as well.

Also be aware that some insurance companies have different opinions on what countries are covered in European Travel, just make sure as what countries you think might be covered are exempt.

Yes you are correct. My insurance has Europe1 and Europe2. Europe1 covers all countries in Europe except Spain , Canaries Cyprus and Turkey.

...and if like us, going on a Northern Lights cruise, check what activities are, and are not covered! Most people going on a cruise do not have winter sports cover......and Snowmobiling is not covered unless you have such cover. I also discovered that due to a medical condition, I am not covered for a Hisky ( edit: or Husky even....!) ride.....although I am for a reindeer ride. Just pays to check that small print, very carefully. And then check it again...

Nationwide B S worldwide insurance lists "Cruising" under hazardous activities on water.

Yes you are correct. My insurance has Europe1 and Europe2. Europe1 covers all countries in Europe except Spain , Canaries Cyprus and Turkey.

I thought it strange when I recently took out a new travel insurance and it stated areas covered.... 'Europe including Spain' I wonder what is so different about Spain?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

It is worth paying a few pounds extra on your annual policy for "cruise cover" which definitely cover repatriation if taken ill onboard. It also pays out for missed ports and cabin confinement due to minor illness.

My policy has this, but still only covers Europe including Russia, Scandanavia, Iceland and the Canaries. I had to buy an extra add on for a Caribbean cruise.

And please check your annual policies have not run out. A relative lost the cost of their holiday when what he thought was indigestion turned out to be a heart condition that required a bypass operation. When they tried to claim they realised they had not renewed their annual policy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just checked our policy, which is a bank account policy, and we are covered Worldwide which is defined as any country in the world which is not on the FCO exclusion list. So that's okay then.

I looked down the list of Hazardous activities (cover available at an extra cost!!) and the one I could not find was zip lining (they did however cover bungee jumping !!). This appears more and more on cruise lines excursions but it is not covered by travel insurance, so if this is your thing please be aware.

Peter

I think if your policy says "worldwide" with no qualification on the headline page, then that's what it means - no exclusions (apart from the obvious countries where the Foreign Office advises you not to go). If they want to exclude anywhere, they have to say something like "Worldwide (excluding USA, Canada and Thailand".

I'm not sure what Thailand has done, but it was one of the potential exclusions on my last worldwide policy.

I think if your policy says "worldwide" with no qualification on the headline page, then that's what it means - no exclusions (apart from the obvious countries where the Foreign Office advises you not to go). If they want to exclude anywhere, they have to say something like "Worldwide (excluding USA, Canada and Thailand".

I'm not sure what Thailand has done, but it was one of the potential exclusions on my last worldwide policy.

Totally agree. The Nat West policy used to say "Overseas" and then defined overseas as anywhere not in the UK. The we got a new insurer who defined Worldwide as anywhere okayed by the FCO. Thailand is still okay I think. Not that I go there too often!!

Peter