Are US dollars widely accepted in Argentina, Falkland Islands, and Uruguay?

mjrtar

I would not count on US dollars being accepted at all. Your bank will likely have the best exchange rate, or possibly AAA.

I highly doubt the average local bank can give the same exchange rates as a local ATM in whatever country you find yourself. Can you get the foreign currency at your bank? Probably. At an inflated rate and possibly additional charges. The exception is the Falklands, which apparently don't have any ATMs- they do take British pounds and US dollars.

I had the needed currency for my visit to Montevideo and tipped my Guide and Driver in their currency. Others on my tour offered US dollars and they were gratefully accepted from what I saw. The tour guides and drivers in Argentina and the Falklands seemed happy to receive US dollars. A gift shop in Argentina did accept US dollars for a small purchase. I am not a shopper and did not make a contribution to their economy by shopping.

We were just in all of these places. We only did day tours in Argentina and Uruguay. Dollars were just fine.

We use GBP for our excursion in the Falklands. In the touristy shops near the port dollars were accepted; but pounds are preferred for most things.

OP: get some startup funds from a local bank with decent exchange rates (e.g., Mechanics Bank in NorCal) and then go to the local ATM at a bank in your port(s) using your local ATM card. Never get cash with a credit card for all the obvious reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I cannot speak to the Falklands (never been there) but it is difficult to use US Dollars in Argentina except at a few tourist-oriented places (often best avoided). In Buenos Aries (where we spent a few days) we minimized our use of local currency (Pesos) by using major credit cards at restaurants and most shopping. But if you shop at some of the smaller shops and street vendors you can really get screwed (in the rate of exchange) if you convince them to take dollars. It can even be worse if you have to deal with taxis. As to Uruguay, you can probably get away with US Dollars and a major credit card in Montevideo...especially if you stick to the tourist area that is relatively close to the cruise port.

Hank

Changed currency to Chilean and Argentinean Pesos prior to our Santiago to Buenos Aires cruise. Used GB Pounds in Falklands. Paid in US Dollars in Uruguay but received change in Uruguayan currency.

Dollar exchange rates not very good in any of the ports...I would exchange prior to travel.

Had to order both currencies prior to travel but was available within two days. (UK Bank)

Obviously lost money exchanging back to GB Pounds when returned home.(Can't really gauge how much you'll need. but carried GB Pounds and US Dollars, as well as credit card with no transfer fees. Some people use just credit cards but you need some currency for taxis etc unless trips prepaid.)

Currency for Argentina could not be obtained in advance from my major US bank: JP Morgan Chase.

The problem is that the Argentinian Peso has a history of not being a very stable currency. Even though it has held its value in the past couple of years most banks do not want to deal in a potentially volatile currency since its easy for them to lose money.

In Buenos Aries we simply got the Pesos we needed from local bank ATMs (which get the best current rates). But you do not want to leave the country with any currency as they might only be good for papering your wall :). So if you do get some Pesos, make sure to spend them before you depart.

Hank

When on my SA cruise a few years ago in Buenos Aires I noticed almost all the shops and restaurants in the Florida district (the pedestrianized streets running from near the cruise port to Plaza de Mayo) had their ARP/USD exchange rate posted in their windows. They were significantly better than from any Bureau d'change (about 1.5 Pesos per Dollar more). What I heard at the time from many who had booked private tours was that payment is US cash was strongly preferred by most guides.

When on my SA cruise a few years ago in Buenos Aires I noticed almost all the shops and restaurants in the Florida district (the pedestrianized streets running from near the cruise port to Plaza de Mayo) had their ARP/USD exchange rate posted in their windows. They were significantly better than from any Bureau d'change (about 1.5 Pesos per Dollar more). What I heard at the time from many who had booked private tours was that payment is US cash was strongly preferred by most guides.

This.

But dollars are officially not accepted.

In some tourist areas, every 3rd person will offer currency exchange. And MUCH better rates than the ATMs or banks.

If you accept, they will lead you to an out of the way place (it is pretty safe), and there will be the money changer.

Later, if you go directly to that out of the way place, you will get a better rate, as there is no commission for the tout who brought you in.

We are starting to reserve private tours on next year's B2B from Buenos Aires to San Diego. Tour operators in Argentina & Chile are quoting and requesting payment in USD. We plan on prepaying via PayPal closer to sailing so as to avoid having to carry beaucoup cash with us from the states.

For most expenses we will use credit cards and go to ATMs for currency as needed in the countries we are visiting. We don't have a debit card, but if we did it would be left at home.

My son was in the falklands with the Air Force and he said British pounds were widely accepted and some places had started to take euros and dollars because of the large number of people who hadn’t bothered to consider bringing the right money. They felt they’d rather make the sale than lose it so put themselves through having to change the money. They do raise the prices in dollars and euros to cover the change costs.

Sent from my iPad using Forums