Any/all help, info, advice you can offer a newbie re: Allure

Hi everyone...Carnival cruiser here looking forward to cruising RCCL... We cruised Royal in 1998 and just off the Enchantment last month BUT... going on the Allure in October and really need help..

1. Do we or do we not have to sign up for the shows prior to boarding? If we have to sign up prior, is this something that can be done now or 90 days before sailing? Once we are signed up, how soon before the show should we arrive to get good seats?

2. Can you tell me what times the shows normally start? Also, how long is Mamma Mia? And the other shows?

3. Dinner in the dining room... how do the passengers dress? Can men wear nice shorts? Are there 2 formal nights on a 7 night cruise?

4. Right now we have YTD but going to try and change to Early... Other than being on a wait-list, is this something we have to wait and try to change once on board?

5. What time are we allowed to go to our cabins boarding day?

6. Does anyone know who the CD is for the Allure 10/28 sailing?

7. My Mom has an electric scooter but was not able to get a Handicap Cabin... on the Enchantment the Steward came every night, took the scooter, recharged it overnight and had it back in the morning. Do they do this on all the ships?

7. What are some of the things we absolutely have to do and see on the Allure?

Seriously, any and all information, advice, help you can give us is very much appreciated... We had such a great time on the Enchantment we wanted to try Royal again but we didn't have to sign up for shows on the Enchantment and I've seen people post that you do... Boarded late so our cabin was ready... And Enchantment was only a 4 day with 3 Ports so very little time was spent on the ship exploring although everyone was so nice, friendly, smiled and greeted us..

Thank you everyone...

You are not required to reserve shows. If you don't reserve, you will have to stay in a stand-by line until around 10 minutes before the show, so your choice of seats may not be good. This is even more of a problem at the comedy show, where the venue is small.

If you don't clear the wait list for early dining before the cruise, you can try again once you are onboard.

Staterooms usually open around 1pm.

You are not required to reserve shows. If you don't reserve, you will have to stay in a stand-by line until around 10 minutes before the show, so your choice of seats may not be good. This is even more of a problem at the comedy show, where the venue is small.

If you don't clear the wait list for early dining before the cruise, you can try again once you are onboard.

Staterooms usually open around 1pm.

Thank you but..... I want to if we can reserve shows in advance... Having my 84/89 year old parents wait on line is not a good option at all... So, where and when can I do that? Thanks

You can reserve shows online. I can't remember when it starts, however it is more than 90 days out. We just did the Harmony and booked our cruise at the 90 day point. When I went online all of my preferred show times were booked. The shows generally start around 8-8:30pm with a second one at 10:30

There are two formal nights, however it is more like a suggestion. I bring a tux and where that one night then the other one dockers and a button down shirt.

If you are on the wait list for early traditional dining, that is pretty much all you can do until you get on board. However most people like to eat 6:30 and afterwards. So you should have no problem to get seated at 5:30 in YTD. Just in case you can make reservations online.

Recommendations: Have a drink on Rising Tide. Watch the Move It parade. The pub has "outdoor" tables which gives a good view, however you will need to get there a little early. Sorrentos also has tables.

CD: There is a thread here that tries to keep track of CD's (there is also one for Captains)

Thank you but..... I want to if we can reserve shows in advance... Having my 84/89 year old parents wait on line is not a good option at all... So, where and when can I do that? Thanks

You are on one of the biggest megaships at sea. You SHOULD reserve all of the shows you can.

Reserve the aqua show as early in the cruise as possible. It will cancel in choppy seas and you want a chance to reschedule. Use the online cruise planner on RCCL.COM.

MTD is absolutely the best way to dine on a megaship. Since your schedule is fluid, and shows are not scheduled around early and late seating, MTD allows you to eat when you want. Don’t give it up.

There are a lot of shows that you can’t reserve including some of the ice shows which are really fun.

So,,, to get better seats, ensure that you are there at least 30 mins early.

For menus and hints, see our live post from March. https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2613542

Hello, daughter & I will be on the Allure for the first time but not before April 2020. I recommend you join your Roll Call for your cruise. https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2535969&page=5.

if you have MTD, you could also upon boarding go to the dining room and set up your time. They open up the cabins around 1 PM so recommend you take a light carry on with anything essential you wish to have with you. Dress is getting more relaxed yet except for boarding day, and lunch, shorts are not recommended at dinner.

Go read the member review of the Allure on this website.

You can find out almost every answer to every question you might have.

It takes a little work but better than asking everyone to tell you everything....

There is no set time for various reservations to open. They (excursions, dining, entertainment, etc.) can open at different times. Keep checking your Cruise Planner on Royal's website.

Go read the member review of the Allure on this website.

You can find out almost every answer to every question you might have.

It takes a little work but better than asking everyone to tell you everything....

Wow, I mean if you are not going to be helpful at all why even bother to post? This board has been so so valuable to me with planning. Could I have found the info elsewhere on my own? Certainly. However, getting multiple responses from the experts here has really helped.

OP I sailed on Allure two years ago so here is what I remember/suggest.

You will want to schedule your shows on your cruise planner. There is no set time that the reservations open up but it is before the 90 day mark. Keep checking and book those shows! As another member said try to book the aqua show on day 1. It is often canceled due to weather and if you book early in the cruise you are almost guaranteed to see it. Arrive 30 minutes before the shows start to get a seat.

Mama Mia runs two and a half hours (I think) with an intermission.

We had late dinning and we scheduled our shows around that. Which was a big of a pain. With MTD you wouldn’t have to deal with that. Book the shows then go make dinning reservations for each night.

Cabins open about 1 PM.

We always enjoy watching the sexist man, belly flop, and of course the live and marriage game (this is my favorite show on RC).

Hopefully this helps a bit!

We love the Oasis class, there is so much to do, you'll (almost) never feel crowded. In addition to the excellent recommendations already posted, some of our favorites:

Spend some time in Central Park - it's especially beautiful at night

Lunch at Solarium on embarkation day (at least on the Oasis) is quiter, fewer people, and healthier food options

Ride the Carousel - it's not just for kids!

Definitely sign up for shows early, especially the comedy shows - they will fill up and hard to get in on standby. Other shows you will likely be seated even if you don't have a reservation.

If you're considering specialty restaurants, 150 Park Place is amazing and worth the upcharge. We've never had a bad experience there. Samba is also an interesting experience if you enjoy Brazilian steakhouses - you'll definitely be loosening the belt there ;-)

Even if you're not participating - check out the FlowRider, it's lots of fun to watch!

If you want to enjoy a gorgeous aft view, go to deck 5 (the jogging track) and walk to the rear of the ship, there are lounge chairs for a spectacular view.

The Allure is a beautiful ship and a different type of cruise experience - enjoy!!!

Go to the RC website, click on Already booked,sign into the Cruise planner and start making reservations. As you look at entertainment, you will see starting times and duration, so you can plan meals around it. Be sure to book the Comedy club, it is a tiny venue, otherwise you will be in a long line of people trying to get in. Ice show, Aquatheater, Quest, not to be missed.

Welcome aboard Elaine! I’m on the same Allure cruise and see that you have already joined our roll call. :D

Speaking from personal experience, definitely pre-book all the shows once reservations open. I try to check daily (login to your Royal Caribbean cruise planner account). I will post on the roll call when they open. Reservations are not made for certain shows like Quest and Love & Marriage but these will be listed in the “Showtimes at a Glance” flyer. Hopefully, someone will post one for an itinerary identical to ours soon.

Are your parents booked in their own stateroom? While there are currently no double occupancy handicapped accessible (HA) staterooms available, this might change with possible cancellations after final payment date (July 30th). There are currently HA inside and oceanview available for triple occupancy and suite for triple and quad. Perhaps if you speak with Special Needs, they would let your parents book one of these or, if not, advise you whether they can take the scooter away at night. Unless your parents are in a HA cabin or junior suite, while they MIGHT be able to fit the scooter through the doorway, there will be little room in the cabin to fit it and it cannot be left in the hallway.

~ Judy

The Allure will have two formal nights: Eastern Caribbean they're nights 2 and 6; Western Caribbean they're nights 2 and 5.

Here's the RCI definitions for attire, your husband would probably be fine in nicer shorts (not jeans, not cargo shorts) in the MDR except on formal nights.

• Casual: You’re on vacation – relax! Jeans, polos, sundresses and blouses are all the right amount of laid back. Please keep swimwear to the Pool Deck. Shorts are welcomed for breakfast and lunch.

• Smart Casual: Think of this as a step up from your typical dinner wear. Dress to impress with collared shirts, dresses, skirts and blouses, or pantsuits. Jackets, sports coats and blazers are snazzy and welcomed.

• Formal: Make it a night out in your best black-tie look – suits and ties, tuxedos, cocktail dresses or evening gowns. There can be 1-3 formal nights during a sailing and is at the ship’s discretion.

we have always enjoyed the ice show. Great skaters. And if you like, you can go skating as well. Long pants and socks are required. Skates are provided. Pretty cool to say you have skated on a cruise ship in the Caribbean. I skate every opportunity and I am 64

Welcome aboard Elaine! I’m on the same Allure cruise and see that you have already joined our roll call. :D

Speaking from personal experience, definitely pre-book all the shows once reservations open. I try to check daily (login to your Royal Caribbean cruise planner account). I will post on the roll call when they open. Reservations are not made for certain shows like Quest and Love & Marriage but these will be listed in the “Showtimes at a Glance” flyer. Hopefully, someone will post one for an itinerary identical to ours soon.

Are your parents booked in their own stateroom? While there are currently no double occupancy handicapped accessible (HA) staterooms available, this might change with possible cancellations after final payment date (July 30th). There are currently HA inside and oceanview available for triple occupancy and suite for triple and quad. Perhaps if you speak with Special Needs, they would let your parents book one of these or, if not, advise you whether they can take the scooter away at night. Unless your parents are in a HA cabin or junior suite, while they MIGHT be able to fit the scooter through the doorway, there will be little room in the cabin to fit it and it cannot be left in the hallway.

~ Judy

Someone just posted a link to the compasses (including Showtimes at a Glance and departure info) for the May 27th Allure sailing. Same as our October 28th itinerary. Click here to check them out.

~ Judy

Thank you Judy and everyone else. They have their own cabin.. .. I think my husband would divorce me if we had to share!! You guys are awesome.. lots of good suggestions and information... I have another question... I believe there is an adult only pool (or 16 and over?)... is that correct, which one is it and how difficult is it to get lounges on the sea days?

Oh, the link doesn't work :(

Thank you Judy and everyone else. They have their own cabin.. .. I think my husband would divorce me if we had to share!! You guys are awesome.. lots of good suggestions and information... I have another question... I believe there is an adult only pool (or 16 and over?)... is that correct, which one is it and how difficult is it to get lounges on the sea days?

Oh, the link doesn't work :(

The Solarium is a covered area that is 16 over and has hot tubs etc. Solarium bistro restaurant is complimentary breakfast and lunch and open to anyone and is usually not crowded.

The Solarium is all the way forward and it has a “pool.” I say that because it is small and just room to sit and stare at everyone else in the pool. Loungers can be difficult on sea days. There are also jacuzzis in the Solarium which seemed bigger than the pool!

Edited by BigHouseFootball

We've had several cruises aboard Allure. The ship is beautiful and the crew fantastic. Everyone has given you great advice. I will second the suggestion of Central Park. There is usually music in the evenings and if you eat at Chops, Giovanni's, or Vintages, there are outdoor tables. During the day, Central Park is a nice, quiet spot for reading or grabbing a bite to eat at Park Cafe. Getting a lounger in the Solarium can be difficult on sea days, but if you want a quiet place to read, there are loungers just outside the Solarium that are rarely used. Another tip for watching the parades is to sit up by the railing in the Schooner Bar, but get there early because seating is limited. I hope you come back and tell us about your cruise. Enjoy!

Wow, I mean if you are not going to be helpful at all why even bother to post? This board has been so so valuable to me with planning. Could I have found the info elsewhere on my own? Certainly. However, getting multiple responses from the experts here has really helped.

People on this site write very detailed reviews, many are an excellent resource which could be used by others seeking information.

I always suggest reading reviews first, than ask questions about specifics later.

My suggestion is much more helpful than you know.

So aggravating the people who just want you to search through a bunch of other threads to find your answers. I wish I had such a leisurely life as they do!

1. Do we or do we not have to sign up for the shows prior to boarding? If we have to sign up prior, is this something that can be done now or 90 days before sailing? Once we are signed up, how soon before the show should we arrive to get good seats? Absolutely book EVERYTHING as soon as it opens up. Start checking weekly about 4 months out, daily as you get close to the 90 day mark. Book the Aqua Show first night. If it doesn't go, they'll protect your reservation later in the cruise. Unless your party is large, arriving about 30-40 minutes before show time should get you a good seat. If you have more than 4 and want to sit together and you're particular about where you sit, you may need to arrive up to an hour ahead for the most popular shows.

2. Can you tell me what times the shows normally start? Also, how long is Mamma Mia? And the other shows? Check your cruise planner as show times and days vary.

3. Dinner in the dining room... how do the passengers dress? Can men wear nice shorts? Are there 2 formal nights on a 7 night cruise? Formal nights are normally 2nd and 6th night. The cruise line rarely enforces the dress code but suggests long pants for men; however, we had someone in our party who got into both the main dining room and a specialty restaurant in long tattered (the style, not necessarily worn out!) jean shorts! In general, formal night had it's share of nice evening gowns, full suits, and some tuxedos. Other nights ranged wildly from the long pants/tie and sundress or pants suits all the way to t-shirts and shorts! If you follow the elegant casual guidelines, you'll be fine and if your husband really wants to wear a nice pair of shorts, they'll probably let him in.

4. Right now we have YTD but going to try and change to Early... Other than being on a wait-list, is this something we have to wait and try to change once on board? I'd stick with the My Time Dining and simply make your reservations ahead of time for every night. Early seating is the easiest to get. Do try at least a couple of the specialty restaurants though. Izumi Hibachi and Wonderland are well worth it!

5. What time are we allowed to go to our cabins boarding day? About 1pm but we got in slightly earlier.

6. Does anyone know who the CD is for the Allure 10/28 sailing? not I

7. My Mom has an electric scooter but was not able to get a Handicap Cabin... on the Enchantment the Steward came every night, took the scooter, recharged it overnight and had it back in the morning. Do they do this on all the ships? Problem with this is that it is probably a question for RCI and sadly, they don't really care if they give you the correct answer or not. They are timed on their calls and they simply want to get you off the phone as quickly as possibly. So, since you did not get a handicap cabin, you might consider a transport chair. The downside is that she couldn't go anywhere on her own but we had a transport chair and it was super easy plus all the staff would jump in and push, store the chair during dinners or shows, and we got a lot of priority for lines and such.

7. What are some of the things we absolutely have to do and see on the Allure? Aside from the restaurants above, absolutely see the Water Shows; they're unique and fun to watch. Try to see if you can find a copy of the daily planner so that you can note the things you really want to do. If you want to do Rising Tide bar, you'll need to "schedule" it just like anything else you want to catch. The "departures" are posted every day and it will take a small chunk of your time to get a seat and go through the experience so treat it like trivia, or karoake, or any other onboard activity. The parades are fun and usually scheduled around 7-7:30pm so if you want to see them, eat early! We missed a couple because we had too many 6pm and 7pm dining times! If you like to see more tricks on the ice, see the iSkate show where the performers can all do their own routines. The main ice show has a story line and is also fun to watch but the tricks are more impressive in the other show.

Hi everyone...Carnival cruiser here looking forward to cruising RCCL... We cruised Royal in 1998 and just off the Enchantment last month BUT... going on the Allure in October and really need help..

1. Do we or do we not have to sign up for the shows prior to boarding? If we have to sign up prior, is this something that can be done now or 90 days before sailing? Once we are signed up, how soon before the show should we arrive to get good seats?

2. Can you tell me what times the shows normally start? Also, how long is Mamma Mia? And the other shows?

3. Dinner in the dining room... how do the passengers dress? Can men wear nice shorts? Are there 2 formal nights on a 7 night cruise?

4. Right now we have YTD but going to try and change to Early... Other than being on a wait-list, is this something we have to wait and try to change once on board?

5. What time are we allowed to go to our cabins boarding day?

6. Does anyone know who the CD is for the Allure 10/28 sailing?

7. My Mom has an electric scooter but was not able to get a Handicap Cabin... on the Enchantment the Steward came every night, took the scooter, recharged it overnight and had it back in the morning. Do they do this on all the ships?

7. What are some of the things we absolutely have to do and see on the Allure?

Seriously, any and all information, advice, help you can give us is very much appreciated... We had such a great time on the Enchantment we wanted to try Royal again but we didn't have to sign up for shows on the Enchantment and I've seen people post that you do... Boarded late so our cabin was ready... And Enchantment was only a 4 day with 3 Ports so very little time was spent on the ship exploring although everyone was so nice, friendly, smiled and greeted us..

Thank you everyone...

I think most of your questions have been answered, but I will share my experience with MTD. You can make reservations for each night online in advance. I picked 5:30 every night and after the first night asked to have the same table and same servers, which you can do for each night your time is the same. Doing this it was basically the same as early dining, just 15 minutes earlier.