Favorite Food/Dishes That Should Not Be Missed

danny8826

We'll be on the Serenade of the Seas on Nov 3rd for 12 nights.

Are there any dishes/food that we should not miss out on because they serve only one time throughout the cruise?

I ask because there was one time on a Carnival Cruise, they serve a coconut cake. I didn't order it, but my family did and I miss the chance of eating it. They didn't serve that again.

Thank you

Danny

We'll be on the Serenade of the Seas on Nov 3rd for 12 nights.

Are there any dishes/food that we should not miss out on because they serve only one time throughout the cruise?

I ask because there was one time on a Carnival Cruise, they serve a coconut cake. I didn't order it, but my family did and I miss the chance of eating it. They didn't serve that again.

Thank you

Danny

We are on Serenade on 9/28 for the same cruise. This will be our 3rd time on Serenade but the menu's are fleet wide. In the dining room the do not misses are the beef tenderloin on the first formal night. The lamb chops, the lobster tail/shrimp dinner called Fishermans plate.

If you choose to visit Chops the veal chop is fabulous. The filet is great but you can order it any night in the dining room for half the price of dining at Chops. The Red Velvet cake and the Mississippi Mud Pie at Chops are the best deserts on the ship.

We are on Serenade on 9/28 for the same cruise. This will be our 3rd time on Serenade but the menu's are fleet wide. In the dining room the do not misses are the beef tenderloin on the first formal night. The lamb chops, the lobster tail/shrimp dinner called Fishermans plate.

If you choose to visit Chops the veal chop is fabulous. The filet is great but you can order it any night in the dining room for half the price of dining at Chops. The Red Velvet cake and the Mississippi Mud Pie at Chops are the best deserts on the ship.

Thank you Priusprof.

I love seafood so definitely would do that, but I heard RCCI stop serving lobster on their Europe cruises. :( Is that true?

Yes, we plan to try Chops for one night so I'll be sure not to miss the Red Velvet Cake. :)

When they bring around the bread basket be sure to try the savory bites--they are Ping-Pong ball sized rolls covered in poppy seeds. By the second night, my servers know to keep them on my bread plate.

The fruit soups are amazing--the peach is my favorite. The mushroom soup is also awesome.

My favorite appetizer is escargots bourguignonne; I used to always get the scallop risotto, but it is not offered any more.

So many good things, so little time...

Barb

I posted this list of favorites from one of my past cruises:

vidalia onion tart

tortilla soup

spinach salad

prime rib

peach and blueberry cobbler (low fat)

shrimp cocktail

escargot

shrimp ravioli

roast duck

penne tarantina (spicy seafood sauce)

choca-chino trilogy (chocolate dessert sampler)

fisherman's plate (lobster tail and shrimp)

dessert sampler (different group than choca-chino)

new york strip steak (without sauce)

key lime pie

spinach and artichoke dip (it's an appetizer in the mdr but I had it from room service)

sweet potato soup (mdr lunch)

Key lime pie!

Thank you.

When they bring around the bread basket be sure to try the savory bites--they are Ping-Pong ball sized rolls covered in poppy seeds. By the second night, my servers know to keep them on my bread plate.

The fruit soups are amazing--the peach is my favorite. The mushroom soup is also awesome.

My favorite appetizer is escargots bourguignonne; I used to always get the scallop risotto, but it is not offered any more.

So many good things, so little time...

Barb

I'll definitely keep an eye on those savory bites.

Oh, I LOVE escargots. I always order them on any cruises. :)

vidalia onion tart

tortilla soup

spinach salad

prime rib

shrimp cocktail

escargot

shrimp ravioli

roast duck

key lime pie

spinach and artichoke dip (it's an appetizer in the mdr but I had it from room service)

Thank you for the list.

Looking through your list, I thought RCCI stops serving the Fisherman's plate (Lobster tail and shrimp) for Europe cruises.

vidalia onion tart

tortilla soup

spinach salad

prime rib

shrimp cocktail

escargot

shrimp ravioli

roast duck

key lime pie

Ill echo about everything you listed and add cold fruit soups and lamb shank.

There is no vidalia onion tart anymore. The chocolate sensation dessert in the MDR is great and available every night.

I didn't realize that the menus have changed since I made this list and some items are no longer being offered. What a shame.

Thank you. I'll try that for sure. One of the person that comes along with me on this cruise, love chocolate and she will thank you for that suggestion. :)

Thank you. I'll try that for sure. One of the person that comes along with me on this cruise, love chocolate and she will thank you for that suggestion. :)

Here is a link to the new menus. Should give you a good idea of what is available. Arancini were excellent. Escargot are currently unavailable due to a worldwide shortage.

http://www.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/press-kit/9/culinary-press-kit/

I have to admit we've pretty much given up on the MDR, it's Chops/Portofino/Windjammer for us. We have burned out on the chaotic, mass, banquet atmosphere of the MDR. Last March our prime rib in MDR on Brilliance was truly pathetic - thin, tough, - mostly resembled a cheap "carved roast beef" at a buffet at best:rolleyes: It in NO WAY even resembled a prime rib. If you like pasta, chicken, pork etc the MDR should be OK but nothing special. We prefer to go to specialty dining for better beef and seafood.

Here is a link to the new menus. Should give you a good idea of what is available. Arancini were excellent. Escargot are currently unavailable due to a worldwide shortage.

http://www.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/press-kit/9/culinary-press-kit/

Thank you for the link.

I have to admit we've pretty much given up on the MDR, it's Chops/Portofino/Windjammer for us. We have burned out on the chaotic, mass, banquet atmosphere of the MDR. Last March our prime rib in MDR on Brilliance was truly pathetic - thin, tough, - mostly resembled a cheap "carved roast beef" at a buffet at best:rolleyes: It in NO WAY even resembled a prime rib. If you like pasta, chicken, pork etc the MDR should be OK but nothing special. We prefer to go to specialty dining for better beef and seafood.

Thank you. I'll keep that in mind.

Thank you.

I'll definitely keep an eye on those savory bites.

Oh, I LOVE escargots. I always order them on any cruises. :)

Escargot is available every night but on our last cruise there were no escargot available for the entire cruise. The Oasis did serve something else in the escargot garlic butter sauce.

Another vote for savory bites ... I was so afraid they didn't make the cut on the new menu.

Love the strawberry pavolova, but then I find chocolate desserts rather "heavy" and prefer something light and fruity.

Does anyone know what additional offerings show up on the 10-day cruises? I'm hoping they still off gnocchi.

Personal likes:

Horseradish crusted salmon

Chilled Banana and Rum soup

Roasted Duck

Beef Tenderloin

Roasts garlic soup

Escargot for sure if available

You know, just try it all. They'll bring whatever you want. So if it sounds good, try it. If you don't like it they'll get you something else.

...but I heard RCCI stop serving lobster on their Europe cruises. :( Is that true?

Yes, the lobster tails (used to be included in your cruise fare) have been discontinued on European itineraries. They may be available for purchase in specialty restaurants; not sure as we haven't been to one in a few cruises.

There is no vidalia onion tart anymore. The chocolate sensation dessert in the MDR is great and available every night.

You might be able to get the vadalia onion tart if you ask the head waiter. We have had it twice(2 different ships) since the new menus have come out. We actually had it twice last cruise. Perhaps if more people requested it they might put it on the menu

This sounds weird but I don't eat sliders at home. I don't even eat hamburgers at home. But there was one night that nothing appealed to me and I ordered the sliders off the everyday menu. WOW I really liked them. They're on a wonderful tomato brioche w/ a tarragon aoli. Even the fries were good.

Yes another vote for Honey Stung Chicken!!!!

Some love it, some hate it. It's a traditional WNJMR food. I love it!

Like mom's cooking on a cold day............warms the heart.

Another vote for cold soups all of them. They're like smoothies....just add a shot of rum and you'll have a great drink too.

Archived