Word of warning

holidayhelen

We are just off the Jewel. Like many many others we packed a multi plug adapter in our case. All the cases with these in were confiscated. I had to join what seemed to be about half the ship to go and collect my case and have the adapter confiscated.

I have been getting tips from other CC users and to take one was a tip I picked up - but we warned on the Jewel you will have it confiscated and if your case is not locked they will open the case and take it out.

does your multi plug adapter have any surge protection in it? that might be way.

I see these Belkin usb power adapter be recommended on cruisecritic a lot, however they have a surge protection built in and is not allowed to be used on ships.

index.jpg

Check your chargers/appliances (i.e. CPAP) for the input voltage - if it's 100-240v it's good! Just buy the following simple single plug adapters:

https://www.amazon.com/Ceptics-Europe-Asia-Plug-Adapter/dp/B0084OPT8C/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1521988113&sr=8-4&keywords=plug%2Badapters&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/ANRANK-U4113619AK-European-American-Adapter/dp/B015LU59ZE/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1521988194&sr=8-11&keywords=Euro+to+USA+plug+adapters

https://www.amazon.com/BoxWave-US-Plug-Adapter-Australia/dp/B000I06JLQ/ref=sr_1_5?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1521988277&sr=1-5&keywords=Australia+plug+adapters

No need to buy expensive multi plug adapters or anything with surge protector or power convertors.

We travel a lot and these single plug adaptors are gems and take up no room!

I bought this one 360 Electrical 36053 Power Curve Mobile Surge Protector with Rotating Outlet and USB Ports from Amazon ... if its going to get confiscated (?) I won't bring it... what do you think?I am going on the Epic

If "with surge protection", leave it at home.

Some info from those who know.....

Inexpensive power strips are generally fine. Those with on/off switches are fine. If the packaging or the fine print on the back mentions things like "joules of protection" or "clamping voltages", then it is surge protected. If these are not mentioned, then it won't be.

There is also a lot of mis-direction with regards to multi-USB chargers. Many manufacturers claim their devices are surge protected, when in fact they are "voltage regulated". If the multi-USB charger does not have a 3-pin plug (no ground pin), then it is not surge protected, since a surge protector needs a path to ground, not relying on the "neutral".

Yes, indeed- get a power strip without surge protection. Then it's basically just an extension cord, without any innards that are risky. Ditto that about no "joules of protection", or "clamping voltages" on the label- basically just make sure the label says "power strip", and they're usually the cheaper ones you'll find since they don't have surge circuitry.

When it comes to USB power strips, all/most have surge protection due to the fact that you know with 100% certainty that digital devices will be used there. So maybe just bring a power strip as above with your original USB charger that came w your phone/device.

I sailed the Jewel last September and they spotted my little 3 plug extension cord and port security in Seattle told me they were allowing no adaptors on board. Mine did not have a surge protector on it. They did give me a claim ticket to pick it up at end of cruise.

I bought this one 360 Electrical 36053 Power Curve Mobile Surge Protector with Rotating Outlet and USB Ports from Amazon ... if its going to get confiscated (?) I won't bring it... what do you think?I am going on the Epic

whether they might confiscate it or not, if its a surge protector , its dangerous and should not be taken on the ship

whether they might confiscate it or not, if its a surge protector , its dangerous and should not be taken on the ship

yes, I will unpack it - I only bought it because it was on a video of things to bring ... but I guess that lady was mistaken... this is my first cruise.

Excellent advice Bluesea777. I read of many people worrying about charging adapters for their electronics. Most modern electronics, from cameras to tablets to phones to laptops, have chargers that will accept supply voltages for worldwide use, anything between 110v to 240v.

In that case, you do not need any kind of transformer, just a simple adapter for the style of plug on the ship. This also allows you to eliminate the muli-outlet power strip, which the ships do not like because of potential fire hazard. With a couple of the right plug adapters you can use both the U.S. style and the European style plugs in your cabin.

Check your chargers/appliances (i.e. CPAP) for the input voltage - if it's 100-240v it's good! Just buy the following simple single plug adapters:

https://www.amazon.com/Ceptics-Europe-Asia-Plug-Adapter/dp/B0084OPT8C/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1521988113&sr=8-4&keywords=plug%2Badapters&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/ANRANK-U4113619AK-European-American-Adapter/dp/B015LU59ZE/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1521988194&sr=8-11&keywords=Euro+to+USA+plug+adapters

https://www.amazon.com/BoxWave-US-Plug-Adapter-Australia/dp/B000I06JLQ/ref=sr_1_5?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1521988277&sr=1-5&keywords=Australia+plug+adapters

No need to buy expensive multi plug adapters or anything with surge protector or power convertors.

We travel a lot and these single plug adaptors are gems and take up no room!

I second Bluesea777's approach and when we cruise, pack our gadget pouch's content accordingly. We have 2 of those Berkin power cube, they are good but since cruiselines do not welcome them for fire safety reasons due to ground, fine ... they come up & I just toss in other items, i.e. like a 6" or 8" 3 prong short extension adapter, to use with our various chargers or the Anker 4-port hi-output charger, see picture below.

A Big Blue Live (bluebooth enabled) speaker for better music, coupled with our Nexus 6 or 5X. Everyone carried several charging/data cables, I also have small adapters to cross-use, in case the OEM one is damaged, lost or broken.

Also, very important - a 6' or 10' shieded, high quality USB extension cable, this allow use of devices across the room or closer to the beds, etc. (ships dry docked now have USB charging port integrated into the bedside LED lamps ... just did not measure its output, my guess ... it's either 1 amp or 2 amp maxium, oversized devices typically require 3 amp or more for proper charging.

A simple, direct extension cord should NOT be a problem, i.e. for those using CPAP, it's when there are multiple outlets - even when it's non-surge suppressed. Regardless, I always carry these accessories with us and do not put them in checked luggage, whether it's flying or cruising ...

Ikea's sell a short 3 outlet extension, ideal for those with bulky charging cubes, without surge protection or switching circuit. MicroCenter sell a short 6" extension with an extra power tap on the top of the plug.

For newer mega-ships, the staterooms have 2x 110 volt outlets and 2x 220 volt outlets, with the use of those inexpensive plug adapters - that's plentiful in most instances, especially when we use the 4-port USB charger.

When embarkation out of NYC, port security in the pier typically are on the lookout for liquid & bottled water, soda, "runners" -

cc03b3dfc3982f3132330a5d457b9890.jpg

90b74af2a430bc1cd690cc19a3fcf7d2.jpg

7cd1bd85072569552e32c43a1d560627.jpg

Edited by mking8288

I have a story to tell. Last year on Breakaway we were in a Haven cabin, and one night I went to sleep and found my CPAP not working ... mmm ... checked the plugs - good fit but not working ... put the plug into another 100V socket - no good ... took out our USA-Euro adaptor and plugged into 220V socket - great! It worked!

Next morning we informed concierge that the 110V sockets weren't working in our cabin - they thanked us and sent electrician down to check the breakers.

Helped to have plug adaptors for both 110V and 220V.

I second Bluesea777's approach and when we cruise, pack our gadget pouch's content accordingly. We have 2 of those Berkin power cube, they are good but since cruiselines do not welcome them for fire safety reasons due to ground, fine ... they come up & I just toss in other items, i.e. like a 6" or 8" 3 prong short extension adapter, to use with our various chargers or the Anker 4-port hi-output charger, see picture below.

A Big Blue Live (bluebooth enabled) speaker for better music, coupled with our Nexus 6 or 5X. Everyone carried several charging/data cables, I also have small adapters to cross-use, in case the OEM one is damaged, lost or broken.

Also, very important - a 6' or 10' shieded, high quality USB extension cable, this allow use of devices across the room or closer to the beds, etc. (ships dry docked now have USB charging port integrated into the bedside LED lamps ... just did not measure its output, my guess ... it's either 1 amp or 2 amp maxium, oversized devices typically require 3 amp or more for proper charging.

A simple, direct extension cord should NOT be a problem, i.e. for those using CPAP, it's when there are multiple outlets - even when it's non-surge suppressed. Regardless, I always carry these accessories with us and do not put them in checked luggage, whether it's flying or cruising ...

Ikea's sell a short 3 outlet extension, ideal for those with bulky charging cubes, without surge protection or switching circuit. MicroCenter sell a short 6" extension with an extra power tap on the top of the plug.

For newer mega-ships, the staterooms have 2x 110 volt outlets and 2x 220 volt outlets, with the use of those inexpensive plug adapters - that's plentiful in most instances, especially when we use the 4-port USB charger.

When embarkation out of NYC, port security in the pier typically are on the lookout for liquid & bottled water, soda, "runners" -

cc03b3dfc3982f3132330a5d457b9890.jpg

90b74af2a430bc1cd690cc19a3fcf7d2.jpg

7cd1bd85072569552e32c43a1d560627.jpg

Golly we do not need to take so much stuff on cruises like you do! One CPAP, one camera, one iPad, and one iPhone! We are out of the cabin a lot so we do not need that much in-room entertainment ;p

Does anyone have a photo of what the 220 plug looks like. I brought an adapter that did not fit but can’t remember why...this was on the Dawn. On the Pearl there were USB ports in the bed lights that were great. I always used the Belkin but now I guess I need an alternative. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Does anyone have a photo of what the 220 plug looks like. I brought an adapter that did not fit but can’t remember why...this was on the Dawn. On the Pearl there were USB ports in the bed lights that were great. I always used the Belkin but now I guess I need an alternative. Thanks!

https://www.worldstandards.eu/WordPress/wp-content/uploads/electricity-tiles-type-C-200-px.jpg

EU standard receptacle

does your multi plug adapter have any surge protection in it? that might be way.

I see these Belkin usb power adapter be recommended on cruisecritic a lot, however they have a surge protection built in and is not allowed to be used on ships.

index.jpg

I unknowingly brought one of these on my first cruise but have left it home since. For my last cruise I bought a multi-port plug in USB charger without surge protection and that worked well. On Escape there were three plug-ins on the counter plus USB ports by the bed, so I didn't even end up using the USB charger at all.

Perhaps they confiscate so people don't overload the electrical??? Electrical fire hazard???

so true and we have never seen the need for one to be truthful.

I will say to the OP, thanks for the warning, I am sure a lot of people will find the information helpful.