Float plane

Ladyaruba

what has your experience been on one? Worried I'd get seasick but it looks like something really cool to do!

FANTASTIC! We had a great flight in Anchorage. I love flying in a small plane.

You wouldn't get seasick as you aren't on the water very long. And floatplane bases are generally in protected waters so the water isn't rough.

I got to sit next to the pilot on a short seaplane hop from the Juneau airport to an island where we did a bear watching trip.

The bears were the highlight of the day but the plane ride over and back was the icing on the cake.

Not too worried about this part! It's the actually flying around that worries me more!

Oh, you meant airsick? Small planes can be bouncy if it's windy. But as a pilot friend used to say "my butt is going up in that plane, too" and they won't fly in bad/dangerous conditions.

I flew with Regal in Alaska and I was impressed at how careful our pilot was. The scenery is so beautiful that if you're a nervous or queasy flyer, the scenery will make you forget.

Due to my job, I used to fly on 4 seater planes all the time. While they are a bit scary the first time, I never really felt airsick, nor did any of my fellow employees who did the same thing. Of course, if you talk yourself into it, you likely will get sick! Just keep and open mind and enjoy the great experience.

• 2 weeks later...

We’ve flown on one seaplane and several small planes. The seaplane was the smoothest takeoff and flight that we’ve had in a small plane. Only once did someone (not us thank goodness) get air sick on one of our small plane flights and then we were bumping along through a storm that had apparently arrived at an unexpected time. We had a great pilot that did a good job landing the plane on a gravel runway during the storm.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You will be in the air a good amount of time. Not like Disneyland, where if you don't like it you can stomach your way through it. If you feel funny flying when there is turbulence or the plane makes a sharp turn I would not go. Flying in a small plane is not everyone's cup of tea.

We chartered a Carlin Air seaplane when we were in Alaska. It was great and very private. If you have at least four people, I'd go the charter route. Just remember to book early.

you dont have to book with the ship..... on the dock you can get them way cheaper from the tour desks The plane is a De haveland Otter a 14 pax turbo prop plane not a small plane High wing like a Cessna Sky Caravan ( you can look up these planes and get more info very safe) you make a water landing on a lake mid trip

Out of Ketchican you can expect some mild bumps flying to Misty fjord