POA to skip the Big Island of Hawaii

mianmike

This is really unfortunate as this will hurt the local economy. Hawaii has been begging people not to cancel their trip to the Big Island. There is no good reason to skip either port as they are nowhere near the volcano.

http://www.staradvertiser.com/2018/05/14/breaking-news/pride-of-america-cruise-ship-to-skip-big-isle-port-calls-due-to-adverse-conditions/

From The Article: “The decision was a shock,” Zabloski said. “In Kona, we’re 100 miles away from volcanoes. It’s a blue-sky day and there’s no more vog than usual.” ... We want to remind people that this is a volcanic eruption that has been ongoing since 1983 on the other side of the island and that it affects a small community of a couple thousand people. There are 180,000 people on the island and we are fine,” he said.

The above is correct.

But take into consideration that with a lack of geographical orientation how many people won't cruise to Cozumel MEXICO, a safe, tourist friendly island far offshore of the mainland, due to reports on TV and other media of MEXICAN Gang violence and Drug Cartels many hundreds of miles away.

Kilauea has been erupting for more than 30 years. However, new vents, if you will, have formed. I was watching Washington Journal on C-SPAN this morning, and they had a guest on from the US Geological Survey who was very informative. It does seem like the effects of the eruption are far from Kona, but I guess the cruise line is playing it extra safe. Perhaps cruisers to The Big Island should e-mail their displeasure to the cruise line.....if enough people voice the facts and their displeasure.........well, you never know. The cruise line could change their decision.

"Talking heads" on the TV are always fun to watch on TV. I watched a seismologist from Boulder, Colorado on the news stating that the volcanic eruption may continue for "several weeks",,, not quite getting that the volcanic eruption has been going on for several decades, continuously, non-stop, pouring lava into the ocean (which is sometimes seen from the POA as she does a pass by the lava flows).

Magnitude 6.9 earthquakes, predictions of a major explosion at the Halemaumau crater should the current rate of deflation caused by the surface lava flows lower the lava level to the water table, poor air quality based on wind direction, ash fall (vs. snow fall), and the inability of tour operators to support the ship's port call all probably contributed to skipping the Big Island this week.

The island of Maui is happy with a third day of POA port calls on their island. So it is not a total hit to the Hawaiian economy.

The Hawaii State Department of Health reports that the current eruption activity is producing dangerous Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) gas and other emissions that are hazardous; especially for elderly, young children and babies and people with respiratory problems. People who are downwind or close to the vents and lava flows are also at high risk. Be aware of the unpredictable nature of dangerous levels of SO2 gas because it can be carried far from the fissures with wind speed and direction.

Edited by BirdTravels

"Talking heads" on the TV are always fun to watch on TV. I watched a seismologist from Boulder, Colorado on the news stating that the volcanic eruption may continue for "several weeks",,, not quite getting that the volcanic eruption has been going on for several decades, continuously, non-stop, pouring lava into the ocean (which is sometimes seen from the POA as she does a pass by the lava flows).

Magnitude 6.9 earthquakes, predictions of a major explosion at the Halemaumau crater should the current rate of deflation caused by the surface lava flows lower the lava level to the water table, poor air quality based on wind direction, ash fall (vs. snow fall), and the inability of tour operators to support the ship's port call all probably contributed to skipping the Big Island this week.

The island of Maui is happy with a third day of POA port calls on their island. So it is not a total hit to the Hawaiian economy.

The Hawaii State Department of Health reports that the current eruption activity is producing dangerous Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) gas and other emissions that are hazardous; especially for elderly, young children and babies and people with respiratory problems. People who are downwind or close to the vents and lava flows are also at high risk. Be aware of the unpredictable nature of dangerous levels of SO2 gas because it can be carried far from the fissures with wind speed and direction.

NCL goofed on this one IMO.

The areas that are potentially hazardous have been closed to the public. Approximately 5% of the island. Volcano National Park is closed; so an explosive event at Halemaʻumaʻu Crater will be no threat. The Kilauea volcano has been spewing sulfur dioxide for decades. VOG is always present. The difference is the new eruptions are now in residential areas which places people in close proximity to the sulfur dioxide which is hazardous to your health in high concentrations. But Kona and Hilo are nowhere near the eruption.

The local tour operators are ready and willing.

While the island of Maui will benefit from the extra day, no one except NCL will benefit from the extra sea day.

The Big Island has already been hit hard by many people cancelling their land vacations, they didn't need this. The authorities on the Big Island have been pleading with the public not cancel their vacation plans.

I wonder if NCL's decision was just a case of an over abundance of caution based on ignorant assumptions.

Perhaps NCL is more concerned about those passengers who won't head the warnings and will try to get as close as possible to see the lava, perhaps NCL is trying to protect themselves from irresponsible passengers!

So glad to hear that CC is frequented by so many experts on this topic. All it takes is a shift in wind to push the sweet aroma of unhealthy sulphur- laden air or a little acidic rain to send these same experts to their keyboards screeching about the experience. And another day on Maui is nothing short of agony.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Better safe than sorry, imho. Yes, the economy will take a hit, for sure. However, I can just see the lawsuits that would be filed if something happened while they ported there.

I feel bad for the Big Island and especially the tour operators as this is their livelihood.

I found it odd that NCL will not be going to Kona. I can understand Hilo as they don't want to be liable if something goes wrong. People are so quick to blame the cruise lines if something happens that is out of their control.

NCL is probably one of the most conservative lines when it comes to the safety of its ports of call. An example I've read about to illustrate this is what happened in Turkey a couple of years back, when it was among the first to reroute compared to other lines.

This reputation was called out in the recent happenings in Russia, but the fact that the Breakaway is in St. Petersburg today probably means that NCL has made a thorough assessment and deemed the risk to be manageable.

I would expect the same due diligence to have been made for this decision, only unfortunately, that the Big Island would be skipped.

so glad to hear that cc is frequented by so many experts on this topic. All it takes is a shift in wind to push the sweet aroma of unhealthy sulphur- laden air or a little acidic rain to send these same experts to their keyboards screeching about the experience. And another day on maui is nothing short of agony.

Sent from my ipad using forums

Lol. Yes there is always the presence of VOG on the Big Island, been that way for years and years. Problem is, VOG makes its way up to Maui all the time. Maybe NCL should cancel Maui also? I go to Hawaii several times a year, have yet to have a issue with the ever present VOG. Matter of fact, we're leaving Friday for Hawaii. :D

Edited by mianmike

Kilauea erupted on January 3, 1983 and has been spewing lava continuously, uninterrupted since that date. It is the longest duration of any observed volcanic eruption. What has changed is that the lava is now spewing out of the ground from newly formed vents in the eastern zone of the volcano.

I would believe that far more dangerous than SO2 is H2S (hydrogen sulfide), which given the amount of gas being emitted by the volcano at present, is likely to be in high concentrations as well as the SO2. H2S is fatal in concentrations as low as 500ppm, and at concentrations over about 100ppm, the olfactory nerve is paralysed, and you lose the ability to smell H2S. Both SO2 and H2S form readily at high temperatures in the presence of metallic sulfur and water vapor (sound familiar?)

I am very happy I took this cruise last year! I feel awful for the people living on the big island.

I understand they are trying to limit liability. Hilo.... too close!

While Kona very far and clearest perfect snorkeling water I have ever seen. I think they are worried about air quality and if that puppy blows the chaos might be crazy.

I feel very bad for their hurting economy.

Kerri

If the winds were to shift such that Kona was exposed to the gasses, it is likely that Maui would be impacted too. There is really no logical reason at all for this change to be made. Kona is almost 100 miles from the volcano and Hilo is about 40 miles away. The prevaling winds don't blow toward either location.

I'm not smart enough or psychic enough to figure out why NCL did this but it's hard to believe they didn't have a very good reason. NCL and other corporations just don't do things willy nilly to tick off their customers.

Regardless, and more importantly, prayers for those folks going through what may become a terrible natural disaster. Living here in the St. Louis area at the end of Tornado Alley we know what that is like.

Perspective.

And had NCL continued as planned we would see a massive rant here about DEMANDING a full refund, that NCL "doing the right thing" and give everyone a free cruise, and potential filing of a civil suit. Yet they err on the side of caution and people still complain. I guess it is true, some folks are never happy unless they can find a reason to complain about something.

I know NCL has the right to change the itinerary. However, I am hoping that in three weeks NCL will return to the big island. I am not interested in either the sea day or another day in Maui since our purpose was for my granddaughter to get a glimpse of some of the islands.

Have they said how long this will be in effect?

I suspect this will depend upon the Volcano activity, and isn't something that NCL "puts into effect" for some pre-planned specific future time interval.

Even IF they had a "date", it could obviously change, depending upon the Volcano.

GC

And had NCL continued as planned we would see a massive rant here about DEMANDING a full refund, that NCL "doing the right thing" and give everyone a free cruise, and potential filing of a civil suit. Yet they err on the side of caution and people still complain. I guess it is true, some folks are never happy unless they can find a reason to complain about something.

This is so true. Some body get a wiff of a volcano fart and it would be on. Lawsuits, media, permanent damage, the horror. NCL should have known that volcano's fart dangerous gasses and we should be compensated. Yep NCL seen that coming and moon walked right out of it. :cool:

The volcano has been erupting since 1983, I wonder how many passengers have been demanding refunds over all those years.