Cruising with Toddlers - Appreciate All Advice

Dear Cruisers,

It will be our first time traveling with our 2 and 3 year old Tots. We will be sailing on the Carnival Splendor. We are feeling nervous as our Tots are energetic, impatient, and can be extremely fussy at times. Our embarkment time slot is 11 am. We will be arriving at Long Beach the night before. Our dinner time is "flex". And, we are taking a 6pm Flight back home from Lax. Our room is on the 11th floor midship. Any suggestions and advice to make our trips smoother? ....especially for Disembarkment? Should we bring strollers?

We always bring our big stroller for ports and for around the ship. We brought a lot of snacks from home (gold fish/Cheerios) and then those little containers to put them. The buffet was our friend! Our little guy always lasted through the long dinners. Make sure to bring toys and crayons etc to keep them occupied. Ours refused to go to the camp. They called us every time we dropped him off within minutes. It turned out to be ok though. He had a blast running around the splash area and then through the ship inside. He would last about 20 mins during the musical shows at night and then it was time for bed. We always bring him on our cruises and wouldn’t have it any other way ! We have a lot of fun together cruising

You will definitely need strollers.

If you can get an earlier flight home, I would. You will be off the ship by 9am...what are you going to do all day? If you can't get an earlier flight, I'd book a hotel room for the day.

We cruised with our daughter when she was 14 months and 3 years old and it was great both times! A few tips!

* Sturdy umbrella strollers are a must! The door ways of the cabin are a bit narrow and storage space is limited. Umbrella strollers are easy to maneuver on the ship in crowds and tight spaces. They fold up and can be carried if necessary (we sometimes had to walk up a couple flights of stairs if elevators were full esp. after dinner). And when stored in the cabin they don’t take up much space.

* I agree with a previous poster who said to order room service for the little ones before dinner. We did that - usually a sandwich and chips - and that got her thru until her food came at dinner. We would also order her a fruit plate to snack on while we worked thru our starters. The wait staff would usually bring that as soon as we sat down after the first night. I would also bring her stroller to dinner. The waiter would put it out of the way while we were eating. Once she was done, they would take the high chair away and we’d pull her stroller up to the table and she’d crawl in and usually fall right asleep. Then we would just take her wherever we wanted to go after dinner - shows, bars, for a walk in deck. She slept thru it all.

* Not sure what kind of cabin you got, but if you can afford it, I’d consider upgrading to a balcony if you don’t already have it. It was great for us to sit out there while she was napping or sleeping at night. If you do this, take a baby monitor cause you can’t hear them thru the window glass and it’s hard to see in the cabin esp. at night.

* Bring an iPad or Tablet and if you have Netflix or Amazon Prime, download plenty of movies and shows. This was great for both the plane ride and in the cabin while we were getting ready for dinner in the evening. We also limited the number of playthings or stuffed animals that she could bring. With limited suitcase and cabin space, you don’t need anything extra to keep track of.

* If either are in diapers or pull ups, only pack enough for a day or two and buy a package of them and swim diapers at the port city. Then you can tape the packages together, put a Carnival bag tag on them and give them to the porter at the pier to be delivered to your room.

* Don’t pack car seats. They would take up a ton of cabin space. You can book car services to get to/from the airport that will provide car seats. In port, we usually did shuttles or taxis and held our little on our lap. Not ideal, but for the little amount of car travel you’ll be doing it’s a big hassle saver.

The biggest tip though is to have fun and go with the flow. Kids can be a little unpredictable when out of their comfort zone and routine. It took our daughter a day or two to adjust and then things got a lot better. And the staff will go out of their way to make sure the little ones are having a great time! It will be a fantastic experience for your kids. My little one still talks about our cruise all the time (and it was last November that we went).

More of an attitude recommendation: be flexible and patient. My 3 year old ADORED our cruise and still talks about it almost a year later. But there was quite a bit of crying when we left the beach and couldn't take the sand with us (I feel ya, kid). We just had to go with the flow and be okay with the occasional crying jag. If you can manage naps, it helps a lot. I wouldn't plan a bunch of excursions. A couple of highlights for our little on board were the Cat in the Hat breakfast and the Build a Bear session. He was not pleased with being left in the kid's club, although he was fine when we came to pick him up. Pack lots of sunscreen and stay positive! We're really looking forward to going on another family cruise, even with the occasional hiccup!

We did babywearing and strollers on the ship. They'd fall asleep in no time flat. If you don't want to fly with all sorts of baby gear, you can rent strollers on the ship from Carnival. We've done that twice. You can take them off the ship in ports.

The first day is the hardest with all the excitement and lack of a good nap due to boarding and muster. Survive that and you're golden lol.

Agree with pp snacks are a must, but if you run low, grab cereal boxes from breakfast for snacking later. Bring reusable, but ok if you lose, plastic silverware for them to use and cups they can manage. We washed in the cabin sink to reuse. I always bring a backpack to wear around with things like that, snacks, extra change of clothes, etc. Some of the more open decks are great to run and play, no one around. Also, empty clubs during the day. Mine enjoyed the disco at 10:00 AM for open space and a/c :)

Cruising with kids is completely different than you're used to, so just roll with it. You will get dirty looks, give them right back. You will be told you're wasting your money on them, ignore it. Those people are probably chair hogs or scooter riders who run you down to get to an elevator.

This will probably get me flamed, but we get Cheers and the bar staff is always happy to give my kids seltzer water, sprite or ginger ale with cherries in it. Super fun treat to the kids. We also order a bottle of San Pelligrino at dinner for a twist on water, kids love it. Keep them hydrated.

Lastly, I agree with balcony. SOOOOO nice to sit out there while they nap and sleep. My DH and I take turns chilling on the balcony or going to explore the ship.

Umbrella strollers--are a MUST HAVE for cruise ships. Not just for their portability. But, so you can also fold them up and store them in the shower, as stroller can't be left in the hallways.

Also, if booking shore excursions, do so via private tour operators, as they are often willing to accommodate your toddlers whereas sometimes the ship's tours won't.

Lastly, check the Camp Carnival schedules for "Family Time", which is when the young ones (too young for Camp) are allowed in with parents to play with the toys.

CeleBrat

Dear Cruisers,

It will be our first time traveling with our 2 and 3 year old Tots. We will be sailing on the Carnival Splendor. We are feeling nervous as our Tots are energetic, impatient, and can be extremely fussy at times. ...Should we bring strollers?

YES, bring 2 reclining umbrella strollers for them, ones that once in port can be clipped together to make a side by side double stroller that one adult can push. If flying in many airlines will allow you to use them as individual strollers right up until boarding time then gate check these at no charge. On the ship the halls and doors can be narrow, having a "two seater" that can separate will be a godsend. Also storage in the cabin is an issue umbrella strollers can go under the bed.

... Our embarkment time slot is 11 am. ...

NO your arrival appointment time at the cruise terminal is 11am. This represents the earliest time you can arrive at the terminal without being turned away.

Your boarding time is fluid and depends on many factors including weather, the temperment of the passengers on the previous cruise, government officials, the number of on board weddings, and how many priority passengers arrive at the port while you wait to embark.

Arriving at that time you can have an hour or 2 wait for general boarding. That is after a possible time doing security lines and check-in procedures, and that time can vary as well from as little as 10 minutes to 30 minutes or a bit more. Most 4 and 5pm departure cruises start boarding the wedding and priority passengers about 11/11:30 or so. General boarding passengers will go by zone number after the priority and Faster to the Fun (FttF or F2F) areas are empty of those already waiting to board.

If worried that the lines, bustle of the terminal, and wait will make the little ones fussy, by 1pm most of the terminals have caught up on boarding those waiting in the terminal area. Those passengers checking-in at that time or later can stroll right on board after processing in. A second advantage to boarding later is the cabins will be ready and open to general boarding passengers by 1:30pm (again based on a 4 or 5 pm departure time, later departure cruises may have later ready times). Before that time if on board and not priority you need to wait in public areas like the buffet area, Lido pool area, or Atrium lounge which all can be crowded and noisy. There will quiet indoor places, like the library, to wait too but if the kids get bored or fidgety these might not be right for you either.

About an hour prior to departure there will be a piercing siren/whistle of if on an outside deck blasts from the ship's horn to alert passengers to go to their muster station for for the mandatory safety briefing. If loud noises scare the children try to watch videos of cruises together when this alert goes off, repeatedly, starting with a low volume and gently increasing the loudness so the kids get used to it. When you arrive at the muster station each child will receive a paper wristband that they need to wear the entire cruise. This is for safety reasons, in case you get separated from them during an actual emergency any crew member will bring them to the correct muster station to reunite w/ you.

... We will be arriving at Long Beach the night before. ...

Just remember any childcare items in foreign ports may not be familiar brands or sizes (like pull-ups/diapers) you buy near home. Also selection on board the ship is limited and prices very high, if they even have the supplies you need. If not wanting to lug on the airplane a ton of disposable or consumable kids stuff, like diapers, toddler foods, snacks, etc., plan on a walmart or target run once in the port city. If staying with family you might give them a shopping list that they can pick-up stuff saving you a side trip.

... Our dinner time is "flex". ...

Anytime Dining is like visiting a land restaurant that does not take reservations. If you go at a slow time service can be great and food sent at your requested pace. But go at a busy time and you wait for a table, the waiter(ess) will be rushed trying to get you in & out which with children can be good or bad. Good because young kids generally don't like a 90 minute long dinner (which is what can happen at set time dining), and bad because haste in the kitchen and when ordering makes for more mistakes.

If crossing time zones the open seating dinner time can be helpful to keep the kids on their home schedule, as it starts at 5:45pm and they seat the last passengers by 9:30pm. The trick here is to avoid the popular times as it slows down getting a table. Popular times center around the main theater shows, and times do vary a bit for each ship. In general from 6:30 till 8pm you will be more likely to receive a beeper after waiting to give your names to the hostess.

If not crossing time zones and 6pm at home is close to dinner time try to change to early set time dining. In general most families with kids choose this time because if using the free kid's camp this dining time happens during one of the closed times for camp. With this in mind the severs do try to get families with kids done with dinner early so the kids can get back to the camp activities (even if a parent needs to return to the MDR for coffee and dessert.)

Also the hot dinner buffet is opens about 5:30 till around 8:30pm, the deli is open 11am until 11pm, and the Pizza counter is 24 hours a day. If the kids or parents get hungry before or after the planned on dinner time or if the ATD line/wait is too long, go up there for a whole meal or quick snack. (The only reason I don't suggest room service is at best it takes 30 minutes if busy it can take 45-60 minutes and they have reduced the # of free menu items available between 6am-10pm and now charge for anything delivered between 10pm-6am.)

... Our room is on the 11th floor midship. ...

Not sure which ship, you are on but no Carnival ship I've been on has any deck 11 midships cabins. On all the Carnival ships the I've traveled on deck 11 has been the Spa, Sun, or Sports level deck with cabins only in the forward section. Being high and forward you get more motion, something we love. But for a first time cruiser it can be a little unsettling.

Also concerning the kids do you know if your cabin has pullmen beds, or if you have the sofa bed with trundle arrangement. A good travel professional when they notice the age of the kids will steer you away from having pullmens which are about 5-6 feet off the floor. If you booked on your own without knowing what a pullmen is get on the phone with the customer service number on your booking confirmation and see if you can transfer to a cabin with sofa and trundle arrangement without penalty. Otherwise start looking for foldable travel guard rails for the kids and teach them not to use the bunk ladders unless an adult is awake to watch them (ship in motion) even if on land they are used to an upper bunk bed.

... ....especially for Disembarkment? ...

Since you have a late flight out opt for relaxed disembarkation and just wait for last calls on everything. Unless you schedule an excursion with airport transfer you will have a long time between when the ship docks, starting disembarkation, and you need to check-in for your flight. Most ships on disembarkation day want you out of the cabin by 8/8:30am and off the ship by 10:30 am. Where you can spend your time after leaving your cabin is limited just like at embarkation, but you do have the option of a leisurely breakfast in the MDR.

Order kids room service and let them eat while you get ready for dinner so they aren't starving waiting for dinner. Get fttf if available.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Forums mobile app

I did just the opposite. I kept my sons on the same routine that they had at home for weekends. By 3-4 pm they were back from camp - if they were still napping mid day, we came back earlier. They had a nap and the only thing I did differently was swap the shower until before dinner and we all went to eat at 6. I used fixed dining rather than YTD, but if you request the same wait staff each night and go early, you can accomplish what I did. I asked the staff on the first night to always have their milks and a fruit plate ready to go - to keep them from filing up on bread. They ate their entree (they can eat off the adult menu - much healthier than kids) while we had our appetizer and dessert while we had our entree. One of us then walked them to camp while the other ordered dessert. Cruising has been one of the best ways for our boys to learn to expand their pallets and to learn to eat an adult meal.

If you don't wish to eat with them, or feel they can't behave for an hour, then I would take them to camp dinner at 6 and enjoy your evening. My boys begged for camp dinner but we saved it for a treat for once or twice per cruise while we went to the steakhouse. They loved camp and spent so much time there, it was important to have family dinner each night, especially on sea days.

I am not a stroller person and I absolutely despise them on cruises because the walk ways are often crowded and I have been run into so many times. Or then you have the kids that want to push them and the parents that let them...:eek: I know a lot of people on here like them and consider them a necessity for their personal convenience but to me its like amusement parks, airports, trains etc and they just don't work well and shouldn't be allowed- except perhaps once ashore. And then nothing but an umbrella. At 2 and 3 your kids should be able to walk anywhere on the ship you want to take them and there is just no reason to have one.

If they aren't potty trained, remember, no pools/waterpark (swimmies not allowed). Or if they are trained except for night, bring plenty of pull-ups/wipes.

Since we started cruising with our youngest when he 2, we have allowed him to pack his own backpack (with supervision) for what he would like to play with. There was always the electronic device, his blanket and then could have been cars, the latest action figure, coloring supplies etc - oh - and always some kind of soft ball. We went with "if it fits it ships" and he had to carry it. He was in pre-school so was already with the program.

Some training at home pre-cruise, both in a restaurant and with a backpack may be necessary if he isn't used to these things.:p

Lastly, my rule with packing has always been keep it simple. There is food available 24/7 and with some cheap sippy cups you can store extra juice and/or milk in the room - on ice if no fridge. Leave room in the bags for build a bear - we always went the first time it was offered and this was a highlight and their newest buddy slept with them and often came to dinner. It is as relaxing a way to travel with kids as can be - if you just let it be. More stuff=more clutter=more mess!

On debarkation day, I would rent a car (with car seats) and plan a day trip either to the beach, the zoo, or one of the museums. You will have several hours to spend and the airport will NOT be fun. Or even get a hotel room with a nice pool and enjoy the day that way. That extra money is worth every penny to have a full, fun day, not cooped up in the airport.

We found the kids club awesome. Carnival is the only company that takes them at 2 years old. Our kids had a blast doing the activities and it freed up adult time for us too.

I hate umbrella strollers. You can get much more compact, foldable strollers like the GB Pockit. Way better to travel with. You don't have to check it, fits in a backpack, etc.

I don't like the idea of feeding the kids before dinner, but it may work for yours. What are they supposed to do during dinner? And our waiter was awesome and would have stuff for the kids on the table already when we arrived. There is no waiting for food for them. They also bring their food first.

IPad is a savior for us, especially as dinner progresses and the kids finish and get restless.

Why?

This poster is famous for chiming in with highly optioned but ultimately useless comments like this one that add nothing to the discussion. You asked for suggestions - and were instead told don’t travel with your kids. It’s really non responsive to your question.

“It” is blocked on my settings for this reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This was a very helpful thread. I was looking for plenty of info on cruising with toddlers for my sister in law. We are considering taking a small family cruise together in the next year or so and our niece is a little over a year now.

Thanks for all the great info!

Props to you for bringing your toddlers. Not something I think we will ever do though. We are leaving our 2 year old at home so Mom and Dad can have some time to themselves. He will most deff cruise with us but probably not until 5+ years old

Oh thank you I forgot all about the block feature. So tired of seeing “It’s” comments. They’re so dumb.

This poster is famous for chiming in with highly optioned but ultimately useless comments like this one that add nothing to the discussion. You asked for suggestions - and were instead told don’t travel with your kids. It’s really non responsive to your question.

“It” is blocked on my settings for this reason.

I personally avoided bringing my now 4 year old son on any cruises since he’s been born, because I want to have a stress free vacation. I do take him on other road trips. I’ll wait to take him on cruises when he’s maybe 5 or older.

Anyways if I did, I would defn bring an umbrella stroller (ignore anyone telling you not too, you can’t hold a 2 yr old the whole time yeah right) and many many snacks and my iPad. These things would defn help us get through any trip.

I personally avoided bringing my now 4 year old son on any cruises since he’s been born, because I want to have a stress free vacation. I do take him on other road trips. I’ll wait to take him on cruises when he’s maybe 5 or older.

Anyways if I did, I would defn bring an umbrella stroller (ignore anyone telling you not too, you can’t hold a 2 yr old the whole time yeah right) and many many snacks and my iPad. These things would defn help us get through any trip.

Why do you need to hold a 2 year old the whole time? They walk, don’t they? As I said - I had an umbrella stroller for ports but never took it out on the crowded ship - he walked holding my hand. No big deal. And at 2 he had zero issue enjoying an hour family dinner. He was a joy to travel with.

Of course not all children have an easy going disposition nor are all parents disciplined enough to keep the routines of home which make traveling with a young child possible.

I appreciate those that recognize that either they or their child are not ready or of a disposition to cruise at an early age and agree that it makes for a much better vacation when mom and dad are relaxed, even if that means the little one has a staycation with grandma.

My kids had their first cruise when they were 4 and 5. I have triplets that are now almost 9 and they’re going on their on 6th cruise in November. I recommend lots of snacks to have on embarkation and for ports of calls. I recommend a backpack with some of their favorite items to keep them busy like coloring book, doll, cars you get the idea. I would expect them to act how they do when you go out to dinner in your area. Keep in mind dinner service can be long and kids don’t have the patience for it. You may want to eat in the buffet on nights where they aren’t having it! The waiters help out a lot with keeping the kids entertained, this is dependent on your waiters. The more you talk to them about it and show them some videos they will get an idea of what to expect. You do need to tell them in advance how proud you are that they are behaving so good! Kids will be kids, make sure your plans are flexible based on what the kids need. If they offer the kids club or babysitting service on your cruise you may want an evening just you and your souse. Have fun!