Huge brawl on the Legend, with video.

Thorncroft

Looks like the report linked to earlier is saying the guy in the light blue shirt was undercover Carnival security. That kind of changes things if true.....

How so? The guy in the blue shirt was holding the other guy down while the other guards where kicking him. Also from my understanding most of the guys involved where teenagers? So they where not drinking, hopefully

The problem is, imo , People think they know how they should of handled it, when in reality they have NO clue. They just want to put blame on the security instead of the people who caused all this. I hope in the end, Carnival prevails and shuts up all these nay-sayers.

The families who escalated the problem by not respecting Carnival Security are totally to blame for what ensued. They had to know by physically putting their hands on Security there would be a response in turn. No way they could not think they would be able to continue with their poor behavior without bearing some consequences. Whether they were fighting among themselves or with other passengers, their behavior had an impact on everyone on board. Pushing/shoving a Security officer is not acceptable behavior especially on a cruise ship where more or less you have a "captive" audience (young children, older adults) who are very limited in where they are able to escape to.

MARAPRINCE

The families who escalated the problem by not respecting Carnival Security are totally to blame for what ensued. They had to know by physically putting their hands on Security there would be a response in turn. No way they could not think they would be able to continue with their poor behavior without bearing some consequences. Whether they were fighting among themselves or with other passengers, their behavior had an impact on everyone on board. Pushing/shoving a Security officer is not acceptable behavior especially on a cruise ship where more or less you have a "captive" audience (young children, older adults) who are very limited in where they are able to escape to.MARAPRINCE

o.k. as I alluded to earlier, we need to get past this notion that anyone questioning the actions taken by security somehow absolves the families from instigating trouble in the first place. Nobody is doing nor suggesting that. Yes, the families are to blame for coming onto the ship with an attitude that they were in charge and jumped at any chance to pick a fight. And, in my opinion, are solely to blame for the violence that ensued.

This thread started with the OP suggesting that the response by Carnival security was abysmal. This remark was not blaming security, the Captain or Carnival, but rather making an observation that, to the untrained individual, this didn't look good. In fact it looked sloppy and unprofessional.

Now, many of us have asked follow-up questions that involved how things were handled, why these individual were allowed to sail for 9 days out of a 10 day cruise, knowing full well that they started trouble much earlier in the sailing. These are questions that I'm hoping will be answered by Carnival's own investigation (which may or may not be released to the public....but hoping a savvy media person will get a follow-up to this).

As I, me myself, personally observed, the response by security doesn't give me warm fuzzies. The whole scene looks like a group of thugs in a back alley having a free for all, with nobody really taking charge. And you have what looks like the Captain walking off in disgust. I realize he needs to stay out of the way but it is HIS ship!

In summary, there were multiple fights, people were injured, passengers seemed scared, a Captain who didn't know what to do ("What do you want me to do about it....throw them overboard?"), security who seem to be inadequately trained to handle this, and eventually passengers forced to disembark.

We were on a RCL ship a few years back during spring break. The ship left Ft. Lauderdale and was only a 5 day cruise. I was naive enough not to realize this was a perfect storm for a bad cruise! There was some fighting among these college kids. They were all held in a Holding Cell on the ship until we arrived at the next port, which was Falmouth, Jamaica. RCL put at least 8-9 guys off the ship with their luggage. We watched from our balcony, them just standing there in disbelief, as we were sailing away. Jamaica is not a place where I would want to be stranded! Especially Falmouth due to how dangerous it is outside the cruise ship gated compound. I applauded RCL for they way they handled the situation. Zero tolerance!

We also had some rowdy kids right next to our cabin playing very loud music all hours of the night. They somehow removed the balcony dividers and were running up and down the outside of the ship across everyone's balconies banging on the sliding glass door. I assume security took care of them as well, we never heard a peep out of them the rest of the cruise!

I always tell my kids when we see stories like this that the person with authority may not have acted 100% in accordance with protocol or how they SHOULD have acted, but if you yourself don't cause problems and act in this instance, very poorly, you will not have anything to worry about. In other words, don't reportedly engage in fights and you won't have to worry about security possibly kicking you. In my eyes, security made two mistakes. Kicking passengers or going beyond what they needed to in order to restrain them and stop this and not grabbing that phone and throwing it into the Ocean. : O : ) Whoops, sorry, it got lost in the scuffle that you caused. Hopefully that's part of the off the record training course.

What I don't understand is why Miami Courts were moved to New South Wales Australia to deal with this civil case against Carnival Australia - the same owners of this vessel I believe. I find it most odd you chose to make your "attack" out of context in the first place since I was obviously responding to the suggestion American LEO rights are valid on a cruise ship sailing to Australia and criminal offence taking place with the Australian (not American) police being called by Carnival to deal with it. Instead you chose to suggest that an Australian would need to appear in a Miami court to sue an Australian company whose contracts will most certainly not be the same as the contract you will be travelling under.

Welsh v Carnival PLC trading as Carnival Australia [2014] NSWCA 430 McColl JA Sackville AJA Adamson J 12 December 2014

I look forward to you inserting some "facts" in the future. :D

The Miami courts have jurisdiction because Carnival Australia is a subsidiary of Carnival Corp & PLC,

domiciled in Miami, FL, USA. ...just like HAL, Princess, Costa, Cunard, P&O, Seaborne, ....

The Miami courts have jurisdiction because Carnival Australia is a subsidiary of Carnival Corp & PLC,

domiciled in Miami, FL, USA. ...just like HAL, Princess, Costa, Cunard, P&O, Seaborne, ....

wow, just wow.

So the New South Wales court case from the link I provided in the post you've replied has no jurisdiction and should be made to hand the money awarded back and hold the case in Miami instead because the parent company is based in Miami?

Good luck with that.

Cruise lines must end “all you can drink” cruises.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes . By all means. Take away a privilege enjoyed by millions on thousands of cruises because 20 people on one cruise abused it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

wow, just wow.

So the New South Wales court case from the link I provided in the post you've replied has no jurisdiction and should be made to hand the money awarded back and hold the case in Miami instead because the parent company is based in Miami?

Good luck with that.

You want to sue the deep pockets, you sue where the mother-load lives.

How does the Australian passenger contract specify? For sailings in North America, it is Miami, but I’m not sure it would be in Carnival’s best interest to have someone from Australia sue them in US Court - if Carnival lost, the jury would be inclined to award a larger judgment for making someone schlep halfway around the world.

How does the Australian passenger contract specify? For sailings in North America, it is Miami, but I’m not sure it would be in Carnival’s best interest to have someone from Australia sue them in US Court - if Carnival lost, the jury would be inclined to award a larger judgment for making someone schlep halfway around the world.
My uncle and aunt took a Princess cruise 5 or so years ago . It was a new ship and my thin aunt sat on a deck chair which inexplicably snapped leaving her with a huge cut which the on-board Doctor sewed up . It was all documented .No beach , no sun, no pool, no fun for her .

When they got off they had a short meeting with a Miami lawyer . He was excited about the case .... until..... he found out they were Canadian . For a bunch of reasons , which I don't fully remember , he explained how it wasn't worth taking their case as they were not residents .

These cases never get to a jury . At best you might get to sit before a judge but it starts and usually ends with mandatory arbitration . The only significant settlement these passengers might get will be due to bad press . They would get close to nada from the judicial system .

We were on a RCL ship a few years back during spring break. The ship left Ft. Lauderdale and was only a 5 day cruise. I was naive enough not to realize this was a perfect storm for a bad cruise! There was some fighting among these college kids. They were all held in a Holding Cell on the ship until we arrived at the next port, which was Falmouth, Jamaica. RCL put at least 8-9 guys off the ship with their luggage. We watched from our balcony, them just standing there in disbelief, as we were sailing away. Jamaica is not a place where I would want to be stranded! Especially Falmouth due to how dangerous it is outside the cruise ship gated compound. I applauded RCL for they way they handled the situation. Zero tolerance!

We also had some rowdy kids right next to our cabin playing very loud music all hours of the night. They somehow removed the balcony dividers and were running up and down the outside of the ship across everyone's balconies banging on the sliding glass door. I assume security took care of them as well, we never heard a peep out of them the rest of the cruise!

The one thing everyone needs to realize is that if a port won’t take the problem person they don’t have to, do basically the Ship is stuck with them.

The one thing everyone needs to realize is that if a port won’t take the problem person they don’t have to, do basically the Ship is stuck with them.

But stuck with them, in a holding cell. Whenever a cruise line is confused about how to handle a situation, that another cruise line has already solved, you just copy it! No need to reinvent the wheel here, unless you've got an inovative idea. Having no idea or plan is inept.

The price on our upcoming cruise went up and down a few times over the last 8 months, don't think there is a strong correlation to the bad press.

I agree with you that other forces could be at work. One thing I am fairly confident in is the fact that the bad press about this and the recent inspection troubles cannot possibly cause an increase in cruise prices.

No, you sue the company responsible, which in the case of a cruise operated by Carnival Australia, it's erm....... Carnival Australia. And guess where they're based?

Thanks.. None of the movies from that link play, using Chrome and all. What browser do you needs to see the vids? Update.. my stupid add blocker cained it. It's playing alright now, sorry for the spam

Edited by bitpilot
circumstances just changed

Thanks.. None of the movies from that link play, using Chrome and all. What browser do you needs to see the vids? Update.. my stupid add blocker cained it. It's playing alright now, sorry for the spam

I was able to see them in Chrome, but they were the same videos from other articles. A lot of new details in the text of the article however.

Thanks for sharing this. This passenger's interpretation seems to be that the crew put profits over safety. Plenty of ports to kick these guys off if they wanted to.

Since Carnival encouraged people to fly into evacuation zones during Hurricane Irma, I'm noticing a pattern. Granted, many cruisers' vacations were spared because of this, and praised the decision. Gambling with people's safety, to salvage a couple sailings, is not ok in my opinion. But hey, when you've got ships on the Gulf and East coast of Florida, you're bound to be at least half successful, no matter which direction, or strength, it hit.

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor

And this is why Carnival needs to keep the public informed as to results of its investigation:

“When they were taken off, we all started talking about it, but we had to keep out mouths shut because there were other relatives still on board.”

The man said he did enjoy aspect of the cruise and “the islands were brilliant” but said he was not sure if he’d ever cruise with the Carnival line again.