Paper or Plastic Straws?

Luvcrusn

I don't want to get into the pros/cons, but there was a thread a while back about X changing to paper. We last cruised on Reflection in December and they were still using plastic. What's on board now. Just curious.

Interestingly, Virgin Voyages just announced that they would be limiting/eliminating 'single-use' plastics, like stirrers, straws, and water bottles. Sounds like an idea whose time has come. :cool:

Although I understand the need and reason for the change, and don't mind stirrers and straws, I'm not ashamed to admit I'm fond of bottled water to take with us on port days. It's hard to transport water without them, and on busy, hot port days, something we are grateful to have. Don't hate me, just being honest.

Thanks Cruisestitch. I use them at home and you're right, they do keep water cold for a long time. I am embarrassed to admit however that when travelling I find them heavy and difficult to carry and when a long day is in store, I need more than one.. Mea culpa! Don't hate me.:o

I was interested to see what we would find onboard next week as well. I life in the Philadelphia area and I often stop for coffee for my teaching assistant and I at either the beginning or end of the week. Last Tuesday I stopped and drove away before I realized there was no straw for my iced coffee in the drink carrier like normal. I stopped later in the week and was told that I now need to request a straw for any drink. Times are changing.

I was interested to see what we would find onboard next week as well. I life in the Philadelphia area and I often stop for coffee for my teaching assistant and I at either the beginning or end of the week. Last Tuesday I stopped and drove away before I realized there was no straw for my iced coffee in the drink carrier like normal. I stopped later in the week and was told that I now need to request a straw for any drink. Times are changing.

I'm Philly burbs also. You're right. Things and times are changing.

Sometimes progress is not progress. I remember in the 50s when all soda was sold in reusable bottles with a refund. In fact, I used to ride my bike down the road and pickup the empty bottles for two cents apiece to earn cash for going to the movies.

I am happy to drink the tap water on the ship, and in most first World countries you can drink the tap water as well. We are not obsessed with drinking water thet is filtered and cost more than the price per liter of gasoline. As for straws, I don't drink any drinks that I can do without a straw. I prefer wine, beer or a martini or whisky neat. No umbrella drinks.

From another post on this topic: https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/19128-royal-caribbean-to-eliminate-plastic-straws-by-end-of-2018.html

We carry our own reusable straws now - cheap from many on line sources including Amazon, lots of lengths/sizes and many are dishwasher safe. This is my personal fav because it fits my insulated Tervis perfectly can be put in the dishwasher but also comes w/ a pipe cleaner: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UM9STWU/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Interestingly, Virgin Voyages just announced that they would be limiting/eliminating 'single-use' plastics, like stirrers, straws, and water bottles. Sounds like an idea whose time has come. :cool:

they never even started using plastic because the first ship doesn't set sail until 2020.

But I appreciate that they are going in that direction.

Thanks Cruisestitch. I use them at home and you're right, they do keep water cold for a long time. I am embarrassed to admit however that when travelling I find them heavy and difficult to carry and when a long day is in store, I need more than one.. Mea culpa! Don't hate me.:o

I agree, the weight restrictions are making it harder to pack, so adding one of those containers would not work for me.

I know we have to restrict the plastic but what about eliminating cigarettes, everywhere you go, cigarette butts all over aren't they too a large problem?

they never even started using plastic because the first ship doesn't set sail until 2020.

But I appreciate that they are going in that direction.

LOL -- Don't I know it -- I'm on the 'list' for the inaugural season. So far, I know more about VV's Eco-Friendly policies, than I do about cabins, prices, cruise dates or itineraries!:eek: Don't know where we're going, when we're going, or how much it's going to cost. BUT, I do know that there will be no plastic straws onboard! :rolleyes:

Sorry, OP -- I know you're just trying to get straight answers to a simple question.:o

I'm always amazed that people think they can control others' responses on a discussion board.

Why would you think I was trying to control responses when I simply thanked two posters for answering the question I asked? Discuss away to your hearts content.😊

If they ever get to the point of eliminating the plastic straws, I'll start bringing a package of plastic straws for my drinks and I'll put them in the trash. I don't think we are close to eliminating plastic water bottles.