Feedback on Embassy Suites near cruise port

Janie1229

Please report back on your thoughts of Embassy Suites. I have a reservation there, and have attempted one with Hyatt Place convention center although haven't heard back from the website for travel.com - when I called the Hyatt they are full for the night we will be there in October.

You mentioned flying in late. If you won't be able to enjoy the Happy hour; 5 to 7 PM, I'd skip Embassy. Hopefully Hyatt Place will open and contact you. They are just around the corner from ES and usually less expensive. Port shuttle was $ and worth it.

For a one night stay, ES is adequate. We found the rooms to be dated, but clean and quiet. The breakfast is nice, as is the "cocktail hour". There are a number of nice restaurants within walking distance plus a Publix and Total Wine in the shopping mall behind the hotel. We have stayed there twice in the past three years. I suggest you not take the shuttle booked through the hotel. The shuttle is usually full, and you may be stopping at several terminals. For two people, Lyft is cheaper, more convenient, and quicker than the shuttle to the ship.

For a one night stay, ES is adequate. We found the rooms to be dated, but clean and quiet. The breakfast is nice, as is the "cocktail hour". There are a number of nice restaurants within walking distance plus a Publix and Total Wine in the shopping mall behind the hotel. We have stayed there twice in the past three years. I suggest you not take the shuttle booked through the hotel. The shuttle is usually full, and you may be stopping at several terminals. For two people, Lyft is cheaper, more convenient, and quicker than the shuttle to the ship.

Thanks! I just received confirmation that my reservation for Hyatt Place was accepted, so now I have a reservation at both Embassy and Hyatt Place. Going to do a little more research before I cancel one of them.

We have stayed at the Embassy at least 3 times pre-cruise and always enjoyed it! Many shops close by, and we have eaten dinner once or twice at the Hotel and it was very good-I was pleasantly surprised! We are cruising out of Miami this year, and have booked the Embassy in Miami for our pre-cruise. This will be our first time at Embassy in Miami.

We've stayed at the Embassy Suites on 17th Street Causeway several times. Nice views, clean rooms (I like the separate bedroom from the front room). Good breakfast included. Downside is having to pay to park. We couldn't get a res for November at Embassy Suites - they say they are all sold out over Thanksgiving week so we're going down the street to Extended Stay America. At least they have free parking for the one night we'll be there.

We have stayed at Hyatt Place 4 times now pre-cruise and would stay there again! Lots of good places to eat and Publix grocery store (where I pick up my two bottles of wine to bring onboard). There is also a Total Wine shop in the same shopping area. Shuttle from airport to hotel is convenient too. As other poster said, cruise port shuttle makes stops at all ships. Quicker taking Uber or Taxi direct to your ship.

We stay at The Riverside post-cruise for a change of pace. Nice old hotel, easy access to water taxi and walking down Las Olas Boulevard.

We’ve stayed at embassy suites and HIE on 17th. 1st 3 pics are Embassy, last pic is HIE. Both were great for the 1 night you’re there. Embassy has an unusually large area for breakfast so doesn’t feel as crowded before leaving in the morning.

4591f6974792c0ac98b12c6abf7c7772.jpg9876e7b3738b08d81001901a9c510bd3.jpg17f2c52ea240d884339fffa22eed1c16.jpg8bfbd6d88a8b3c141249bbc708c086c7.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We stayed at the ES in March 2018. Our room was on the 7th floor directly across from a bank of elevators. And yes on embarkation day the elevators are very, very, very slow. There were only 2 elevators on our side of the bldg and they were always packed..

Another thing that bothered me was we had arrived the night before our cruise and got in around 10 PM. There seemed to be a problem with the 'new' check in system that was installed at the desk and it took quite a while before we were checked in.

The hotel is old, worn and shabby. The beds were comfortable and clean. Yes the breakfast was good but get there early before the crowd arrives. The Shuttle was $18 to port but I don't remember if the was for the two of us or not. We are cruising again but won't be staying at ES.

We would only stay if it was a Hotwire or Priceline win. It is OK for one night but if were booking we would not select this hotel. It needed a reno five years ago. They did some work on the lobby area but that was the extent of it. Elevators were very slow.

We think that there are far better choices. A so called free drink in the evening and breakfast does not do it for us. If we are leaving the next morning we could care less about standing in line for a cooked to order breakfast.

We have stayed at several ES's in various locations-business and pleasure. This one is not very representative of the typical ES standard.

If there are 4 or 5 ships in port on a Saturday, unless you book a year in advance, rooms are pretty scarce around Pt Everglades. We got a room at Extended Stay with 'free' parking and breakfast- Embassy Suites charges $20 per night.

We would only stay if it was a Hotwire or Priceline win. It is OK for one night but if were booking we would not select this hotel. It needed a reno five years ago. They did some work on the lobby area but that was the extent of it. Elevators were very slow.

We think that there are far better choices. A so called free drink in the evening and breakfast does not do it for us. If we are leaving the next morning we could care less about standing in line for a cooked to order breakfast.

We have stayed at several ES's in various locations-business and pleasure. This one is not very representative of the typical ES standard.

Guess I am not the only one that feels the same as this. Most hotels on 17th street are nicer that this E.S. location.

No, you are not.

We don't get it. What is the big attraction about a free glass of wine and some nachos in the evening? Or a cooked to order breakfast. We would much rather sit down and be served rather than line up, plates in hand. We don't eat a cooked breakfast at home so this is not a big gimme for us.

Our focus is always on the room. The rest we don't care about. We can buy a drink or a breakfast anywhere if we so wish.

We feel the same about a 'free' shuttle to the port. We will pass on that crowded van and their schedule and happily pay the $15 cab fare plus leave at our leisure.

No, you are not.

We don't get it. What is the big attraction about a free glass of wine and some nachos in the evening? Or a cooked to order breakfast. We would much rather sit down and be served rather than line up, plates in hand. We don't eat a cooked breakfast at home so this is not a big gimme for us.

Our focus is always on the room. The rest we don't care about. We can buy a drink or a breakfast anywhere if we so wish.

We feel the same about a 'free' shuttle to the port. We will pass on that crowded van and their schedule and happily pay the $15 cab fare plus leave at our leisure.

First of all, it is not "a free glass of wine". It is 2 hours of open bar, well drinks, mixed drinks, wine. Yes, the appetizers are mediocre...so be it. That may not interest you...that is fine, to each their own, not knocking your preferences. But it interests a lot of people, if for no other reason to "get in the mood" of being on vacation. So don't knock others preferences.

The breakfast is hearty...certainly not anything "continental" ( a term that has certainly lost it's definition recently).

Second, the shuttle is not free from the Ft Lauderdale ES. It is $9pp.

We also enjoy a Clean, Friendly, Quiet, Modern place to stay. E.S. would be our last choice on 17th street. I can drink at Duffys 2-1 drinks of your choice, for the 50-60 $$$ that E.S. charges more than H.P. I don't eat breakfast on cruise morning because I would rather eat lunch on the ship. Besides H.P. has breakfast also.

This is an interesting thread, everyone is correct about the property, I'm a Hilton Diamond member because of my business travel and get to stay for free because of my points, other wise I would stay some where else.

Hyatt Place is much nicer IMO, Newer, cleaner, quiet, friendly staff, one block behind E.S.

Totally agree. The Embassy on 17th was terrible. My and my friend's rooms were filthy, outdated, and just terrible over all (didn't a/c well, people leaning against our windows chatting on the phone, scary balconies, smells, bad food, bad breakfast buffet, loud waterfall, terrible elevators). The way back we stayed at the Hyatt Place across the street and were much, much happier. Its more of a business hotel then a family hotel, but can accommodate both. But it is not a party hotel, quiet time starts at 9pm.

I don't think I am that picky...I just want clean rooms where I don't stay up all night worrying about bed bugs.

Totally agree. The Embassy on 17th was terrible. My and my friend's rooms were filthy, outdated, and just terrible over all (didn't a/c well, people leaning against our windows chatting on the phone, scary balconies, smells, bad food, bad breakfast buffet, loud waterfall, terrible elevators). The way back we stayed at the Hyatt Place across the street and were much, much happier. Its more of a business hotel then a family hotel, but can accommodate both. But it is not a party hotel, quiet time starts at 9pm.

I don't think I am that picky...I just want clean rooms where I don't stay up all night worrying about bed bugs.

Totally agree. We stayed there once about 3 years ago. Started off with a bad vibe. Arrived around 2pm and checkin were rude, no rooms untill after 3pm we were told. Ok no biggie, hold our bags and we will be back later. Come back and checkin after 6 ,then head down for a drink. Budweiser beer only (can not drink it,instant headache) 1 type of mixed drink, popcorn and check mix. We headed over to Duffy's for drinks and apps. Later that night around 11pm called down to the front desk about the loud music playing in the pool area. Nothing we can do about it, it was loud untill after midnight and we were on the 6th floor. Room I would rate about a 7 for being clean,bathroom about a 5. The breakfast is the only plus at E.S. ours was good.

Anyone know what is walking distance for dinner? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There is a restaurant at the hotel (food is okay to decent). The closest place outside of the hotel is Duffy's (just a stone's throw away), it's a sports bar and grill sort of place. There's also some fast food joints in the Publix plaza adjacent to the hotel (Five Guys Burgers and the like). I only ate at the hotel and we were not there for a cruise. We stayed there after Hurricane Irma because we had no electricity at our house. I will say that the staff was awesome to us (especially considering that none of them had power at their homes either). The happy hour was great, especially since we'd just been thru the storm. The rooms are dated, but ours was clean. I will say that the made-to-order cheese and bacon omelette I had at the complimentary breakfast was super delicious, and I'm very picky about eggs.

I've eaten at Gilbert's in the shopping center behind the hotel, and always have good, basic food. They're known for their burgers. Mezza Luna is an upscale Italian restaurant next to the hotel, and there's an Outback there too. All of these within walking distance.

Roz

Anyone know what is walking distance for dinner? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We've eaten a few times at the Boatyard, across 17th next to the Renaissance. Well rated, and we love it because it's canal-front, so weather permitting, you can sit on the terrace and watch the yachts sail by. Maybe a 15 minute walk from the Hyatt Place, 10 from the Embassy Suites.

We certainly do not find the rooms terrible. We have found them to be very clean and the staff very pleasant, including the front desk.

We simply find the rooms very dated, very dark, and in desperate need of a refresh. We do not find the rooms, based on price to a particularly good value. Even with the evening soiree and the breakfast. Breakfast is fine. We simply prefer something other than a buffet even if made to order is offered. Our breakfast fine. Our tastes run to a different style of room.

For one overnight stay no issue if that is where you are. Not our choice, and certainly not our choice for the usual few days of pre and or post cruise vacation time.

Totally agree with you iancal. We stayed there in March. We are not fussy but found the hotel dated. There was nothing horrible about ES. It was convenient to the port, the breakfast was decent but we were there early in the morning. As we were finishing eating it became crowded to the point of you could not find a place to sit. I believe we paid around $350 for one night (including tax). I was looking at it for next March and it looks like prices went up at the ES.

I decided to stay at Hyatt Place for our next cruise. It's nearby the ES so convenient stores are still nearby, HP is much smaller in size, reviews are better and it appears to be much more updated/modern in comparison. I think I'm getting a much better deal as the price is much less..