Room 1028 handicap junior suite.

Our travel agent booked us a Handicap junior Suite on the Radiance. It was the last suite in our catergory so she booked it. I’m feeling a little guilty about booking it without a handicap but we really wanted a Junior suite for this cruise. Any thoughts?

I really don't get this. You are not the first person to post this and I am blown away that this seems to happen a lot. I have 4 cruises booked. 1 on RC, 1 on Carnival and 2 on MSC. All four cruises were booked at least 1 year out. None of them had any H/C cabins available in ANY category. I know it is not your fault, OP, but I just don't get it.

That's a tough one to call since it's the last jr suite available. Is it the cruise next May. If so maybe another jr suite will open up and you can switch. I think a lot of people who need a handicapped room know to book early so they can get one. Looks like this cruise has been open for booking for a while. If it was me I would keep it and keep watching for another one to open. If not then just stay there.

I was under the impression that Royal could bump passengers who booked a HC designated cabin and did not have a proper need for it. Is that not the case?

Its the case but I have NEVER heard of it happening on any cruise line. Not saying it doesnt happen but seems like to me it would have least made it onto here or other social media platforms.

Yes :) If its past final payment date, no big deal. Enjoy the cabin and the extra room. If its the cruse that is 291 days out as listed on your countdown, SHAME on your TA! :mad: This is really inexcusable and upsets me to no end. No WONDER we have to book our cabins over a year out now. TAs are booking able bodied people in them that dont need the accessible entry and other features 300 days out! :mad:

Not blaming you at all :)

Not the TA's fault. If you don't like the rule, complain to the cruiseline. If it's the last available cabin in the category anyone can book it. If the OP didn't get it, someone else would have

Not the TA's fault. If you don't like the rule, complain to the cruiseline. If it's the last available cabin in the category anyone can book it. If the OP didn't get it, someone else would have

I somehow missed that part. Sue me

Yes clear.png?emoji-smile-1742 If its past final payment date, no big deal. Enjoy the cabin and the extra room. If its the cruse that is 291 days out as listed on your countdown, SHAME on your TA! clear.png?emoji-mad-1709This is really inexcusable and upsets me to no end. No WONDER we have to book our cabins over a year out now. TAs are booking able bodied people in them that dont need the accessible entry and other features 300 days out! clear.png?emoji-mad-1709

Not blaming you at all clear.png?emoji-smile-1742

As the saying goes the early bird gets the worm. If you need a HC cabin and don't book it early enough then that's on you. She was told it was the last jr suite available so it's not her fault. If there were other jr suites available and she knew it and still booked a HC cabin then that's on her which to me would be wrong. Also some cabin locations are horrible so people might just take a HC cabin because of that. The noise in some cabins can be dreadful from above or by the centrum. I'm not saying that she is at all, but others might do this.

The Radiance only has a total of 13 HC cabins if I counted correctly and that's out of 1061 cabins. I think Royal should really have more than this. There is also only a total of 37 jr suites with 2 of them being HC.

I agree it's not the TA's fault if there aren't any more, but it looks like 1098 and 1598 are available.

OP, have your TA check cabins 1098 and 1598.

As the saying goes the early bird gets the worm. If you need a HC cabin and don't book it early enough then that's on you. She was told it was the last jr suite available so it's not her fault. If there were other jr suites available and she knew it and still booked a HC cabin then that's on her which to me would be wrong. Also some cabin locations are horrible so people might just take a HC cabin because of that. The noise in some cabins can be dreadful from above or by the centrum. I'm not saying that she is at all, but others might do this.

The Radiance only has a total of 13 HC cabins if I counted correctly and that's out of 1061 cabins. I think Royal should really have more than this. There is also only a total of 37 jr suites with 2 of them being HC.

I agree it's not the TA's fault if there aren't any more, but it looks like 1098 and 1598 are available.

OP, have your TA check cabins 1098 and 1598.

I forget what the exact rule is. I believe that if inventory has only 3 cabins left, then the accessible cabins open up and anyone can book them. I sure wouldn't give it up if I got one legitimately. If the op does, someone else will grab it

A couple of times my TA has given me quotes for the HC room by accident and it's always been cheaper than the other rooms in the same category. That may be the other reason they did it (the TA not to OP).

Now having said that, when my TA tried to put through the booking with the HC room, RC came back asking her to verify the need for an HC room. So again, it's not on the OP or the TA if RC allows it.

Wow that's a lot of TLAs! :-)

A couple of times my TA has given me quotes for the HC room by accident and it's always been cheaper than the other rooms in the same category. That may be the other reason they did it (the TA not to OP).

Now having said that, when my TA tried to put through the booking with the HC room, RC came back asking her to verify the need for an HC room. So again, it's not on the OP or the TA if RC allows it.

Impossible! Cabins don't vary in cost in the same category.

If it is close to sailing then I personally don't have a problem with booking a HC room if one is available and I am allowed to do it.

If the cruise is many months away, then I prefer to not take up an HC cabin in case someone else has a greater need.

I know, I am not being consistent but just sharing what my policy is. Not for me to judge what others do.

I forget what the exact rule is. I believe that if inventory has only 3 cabins left, then the accessible cabins open up and anyone can book them. I sure wouldn't give it up if I got one legitimately. If the op does, someone else will grab it

I don't know what the rule is, but so true about someone else taking it.

I don't think they are cheaper, but they are a little bigger.

If it is close to sailing then I personally don't have a problem with booking a HC room if one is available and I am allowed to do it.

If the cruise is many months away, then I prefer to not take up an HC cabin in case someone else has a greater need.

I know, I am not being consistent but just sharing what my policy is. Not for me to judge what others do.

So your policy is if the cruise is far away and the last cabin in the category you want is a HC cabin that you wouldn't take it. Would you not take the cruise or change to a different category? Just curious, not trying to sound mean or anything. If that's the case then you are a better person than me. :)

If I didn't hate them then I would't have a problem taking one in that situation. I would have a hard time taking it not because it was the last cabin and it was a HC, but because I absolutely do not like them. On one of our first cruises we ended up in one. I don't remember for sure if it was thru Royal or a TA, but I'm thinking it was Royal. We booked close to the sailing so there wasn't much left or maybe it was that we booked a guarantee room back then. I hated the roll in shower and a few other things. We learned our lesson on that one. Now we always try to book as far out as possible. We prefer to be able to get the cabin we want in a good location.

Our travel agent booked us a Handicap junior Suite on the Radiance. It was the last suite in our catergory so she booked it. I’m feeling a little guilty about booking it without a handicap but we really wanted a Junior suite for this cruise. Any thoughts?

Currently the Royal Caribbean website shows both an actual JS (cat J3) and a guarantee JS booking available. So the accessible JS is not the last JS. You should call your TA and change your booking. (Checked approximately 8:00pm EST today)

Your Travel Agent had to sign an affirmation on your behalf that you need the accessible features of the wheelchair accessible JS. That apparently is untrue in your case. You run the risk of being held responsible for that untrue affirmation.

The Royal Caribbean website currently shows that there are NO wheelchair accessible JS available on this sailing. The website shows that there are no wheelchair accessible cabins in any other category. So your booking this JS when a regular JS is available takes the last available wheelchair accessible stateroom out of the inventory.

Currently the Royal Caribbean website shows both an actual JS (cat J3) and a guarantee JS booking available. So the accessible JS is not the last JS. You should call your TA and change your booking. (Checked approximately 8:00pm EST today)

Your Travel Agent had to sign an affirmation on your behalf that you need the accessible features of the wheelchair accessible JS. That apparently is untrue in your case. You run the risk of being held responsible for that untrue affirmation.

The Royal Caribbean website currently shows that there are NO wheelchair accessible JS available on this sailing. The website shows that there are no wheelchair accessible cabins in any other category. So your booking this JS when a regular JS is available takes the last available wheelchair accessible stateroom out of the inventory.

As I said in a previous post. Accessible cabins are released when there are only a couple cabins in the category are left. It does not have to be the last cabin. The TA did nothing wrong and no disability has to be proven to book the cabin.

My DW (and some one this thread) could not cruise without an HC cabin. We are now booking almost two years in advance to get one. I have advocated for a system where past HC passengers could get a shot at any "last minute" available cabins. Fell on deaf ears....sigh. Regardless of what the policy is...well I couldn't do it.

I travel with my sister who requires a HA cabin. I find it highly suspect that your TA's only option was a HA JS. Never in all my years of cruising has a HA JS ever been available (and no regular JS available) and I generally have to book a minimum 6 months in advance (usually more) just to get a balcony HA cabin.

Not sure what to make of OP's thread.

My DW (and some one this thread) could not cruise without an HC cabin. We are now booking almost two years in advance to get one.

Like grab007 my DS needs a HC cabin and we also have to book 18 months advance

OP had no qualms booking the only HC cabin in May 2018,

Just booked the cruise and snagged a Junior suite. More than excited looking forward to the meet and greet, slot pull, and cabin crawl. Sailed the Radiance once before and love the ship.

So why is the OP feeling guilty now?

Edited by Bloodgem

You can check in the uk rccl site to see actual cabins left.

I booked a cruise for my motherinlaw and fatherinlaw, they needed a handicapped room. There was all sorts of legal wording about being handicapped in order to get the room.

I am having trouble believing that if there are certain number of rooms left the handi capped opens up.

I have read that guarantee rooms wound up being handicapped rooms. I find that more plausible because they are assigned last minute

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

One of the pet peeves I have with all cruise lines, is the HC cabins. First, there are many people who "need" the HC cabin because they have real needs such as the need for a roll in shower, grab bars etc. The HC cabin is designed for the.

My issue is that many more people only "need" the HC cabin because of scooters. Why do they need a HC cabin? Because the cabin doors are so small, and once you enter, the "hallway" which is the bathroom/closet, make it impossible to bring the scooter inside. Go to any hotel, and a HC person with a scooter will have no issues with a standard room. But on the ship, it's impossible.

The choice on the ship becomes this. Either a HC balcony, inside or outside room, or be forced to pay for a suite, that has a wide door.

With all the new ships being built, it would be nice if some rooms are designed in such a way to allow a scooter into the doorway. Redesign the bathroom, somehow, and make the hallway in the room wider, and the door wider.

What about this? Each floor, or certain floors have a scooter parking lot with plugs, and for those with their own scooters, a locking railing so you can lock your scooter from theft.