Thanks to CC for being here. I needed to get away from Hurricane Irma News!

Hflors

I haven't checked yet, but assumed CC would know......is our beloved HMC in Irma's projected path?

Right now it looks like HMC is north of the projected path, maybe 150-200 mile off the current projected path center, but that path has a lot of breadth to it, and the path can and will most likely change. The storm is giant sized so there's a very good chance the island will have impacts, maybe intense impacts. But the next couple of days will tell more.

The island that has HMC in it is Little San Salvador Island, if you want to look it up. m--

Hflors I'm with you. We are a few miles north of you on Charlotte Harbor and I feel your pain. I too come to CC for some R&R and I think a suit instead of a tux for my next cruise would be fine. I think after this message I'll go to HAL's web site and book some Pinnacle Grill reservations. And just maybe I'll order a bottle of Scotch for the cabin. At least I can do it now since we still have power and internet access. I hate the thought of a town full of blue roofs but love the idea of blue sea all around. At any rate, the pantry is full, the shutters are all up, all the loose stuff is stored, the genny is full of gas so nothing left to do except pray and stay in touch with all our CC buddies.

Hflors I'm with you. We are a few miles north of you on Charlotte Harbor and I feel your pain. I too come to CC for some R&R and I think a suit instead of a tux for my next cruise would be fine. I think after this message I'll go to HAL's web site and book some Pinnacle Grill reservations. And just maybe I'll order a bottle of Scotch for the cabin. At least I can do it now since we still have power and internet access. I hate the thought of a town full of blue roofs but love the idea of blue sea all around. At any rate, the pantry is full, the shutters are all up, all the loose stuff is stored, the genny is full of gas so nothing left to do except pray and stay in touch with all our CC buddies.

Where on Charlotte Harbor - anywhere near Boca Grande?

I am on the other side of the state in Cocoa Beach. Just came on here for a break from the seriousness of this hurricane. Sometimes you just need a break to maintain your sanity. Have done all we can do, including cooking all the food in my freezer. That will go in the cooler and go with us when we have to leave. Just praying and hoping for the best at this point.

My brother and his wife are currently in a second floor hotel room on the beach in St. Thomas as I type this. They are there celebrating their fourth wedding anniversary - who knew Irma was invited to the party? Right now, St. Thomas is ground zero for the storm. As of 2PM this afternoon, they've been dealing w/sustained winds of 170mph with gusts up to 187 mph. I can't even wrap my head around it.

My 85 year old Mom and 106 year old grandmother are beside themselves w/worry and fear about their son/grandson. Mom says she's going to kick both their butts when they get home for planning this trip during hurricane season.

My SIL sent her last text this morning saying that they experienced a sleepless night with howling winds and pounding rain. The - hotel is prepared w/storm shutters, sandbags, enough food and water for their guests for the next five days. They handed out flashlights and bottled water yesterday, and provided each room with a cooler with some food. Officials warned that a curfew went into effect yesterday afternoon, no one allowed outside and so far, it appeared as though people were following suit.

Right now, my whole family is just worried sick about the safety of our loved ones. I pray that all in the path of Hurricane Irma take the necessary precautions as soon as possible and get outa dodge if you can. Sending good thoughts to all.

just saw images of St. Maarten being blasted by iRMA, St. John, St.. Thomas, Puerto Rico though I did not see San Juan. This is a big bad one.............

When I saw Antigua, it made me sad as the image they showed of water and wind, was one of my favorite shops there... (Long champs) I always enjoyed shopping there. I;m sure they will clean up in time and hopefully all will be well.

Thanks!!!! The last two days have been so hectic. All my sil's storm shutters and lanai furniture are in and up ours are mostly up. Waiting to put up a few as we are living here and don't want to live in an "inside cabin" until it is necessary. We are keeping an eye on the storm to decide if we need to evacuate. Family up north have been calling all day. They are worried and if I watched the news I would be too!

Anyway just wanted to pop in and thank everyone for their prayers, good thoughts and encouragement to all of us here trying to keep calm as the storm moves closer.

hflors

Sail, I thought of Antigua as well...my husband and I visited there on a cruise a couple years ago and we loved that island so much.

I pray for all the beautiful islands and the residents who call them home that are affected by Irma, and Jose following close behind.

Hflors,

My heart goes out to all the lands and people impacted by Harvey and Irma. However, I did find it a bit interesting that you (the OP) came to CC to escape all the talk about Irma and every comment I read to this point was about Irma or other hurricanes. Apparently there is no escape for you!:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Here's a video of St. Martin from their navy. It's pure devastation.

Just awful and terribly overwhelming. My heart breaks for people who live there. We are Floridians and we live on the coast. Last year, when Matthew came in, we evacuated to Orlando. This year, if I were there, I'd get out of Florida entirely. Thankfully, we are far away right now, but we pray for our friends and family who are presently there.

The press keeps referring to "St. Martin." I assume they mean "St. Maarten?"

Never mind; I just answered my question. (Helps to do a little research.) Two separate countries on one island. The French side is St. Martin; the Dutch side is St. Maarten. For whatever reason, I thought that the French side had a different name.

As seasoned cruisers that get to visit all these beautiful Caribbean islands, I don't think there is an "escape" from this.

You will constantly be thinking of this hurricane and the damage that it has done and will do to your favorite Caribbean ports.

Just saw a picture of Princess Juliana International Airport damaged and ruined. How many of us do not have memories of watching planes fly by while lounging at the beautiful beach? It's sad and there is no escaping from it regardless of how you see it.

My brother and his wife are currently in a second floor hotel room on the beach in St. Thomas as I type this.

Right now, my whole family is just worried sick about the safety of our loved ones. I pray that all in the path of Hurricane Irma take the necessary precautions as soon as possible and get outa dodge if you can. Sending good thoughts to all.

I hope you hear reassuring news about your brother and his wife. SOON. Communications infrastructure is probably close to non-existent, though. It might be quite a wait for you <3

I have friends in North Carolina, and I am anxiously waiting to hear that THEY have gotten outta Dodge.