What's up with these nonrefundable deposits?

katrina915

I have never cruised princess before so I don't know what is typical. I am looking at 8 day British isles cruise for August and all cabins have nonrefundable deposits. Is this typical? Will they ever go back to refundable deposits after this latest promotion? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

They will likely have refundable deposits after this promotion. Personally' date=' I wouldn't book a non-refundable cruise, but that's me....[/quote']

I did it once. I was still working and the only thing I could fit in was a 4 day (sooooooooo short!) coastal. It was about 99% sure we would make the date so I took the chance. As usual, we used FCD to make the deposit. The cruise was far too short and it turned out to be the absolute worst boarding experience we have ever had but it was still a great cruise. :)

I have never cruised princess before so I don't know what is typical. I am looking at 8 day British isles cruise for August and all cabins have nonrefundable deposits. Is this typical? Will they ever go back to refundable deposits after this latest promotion? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

They go back and forth.

Princess sometimes in sales does require a non-refundable deposit. I have converted a sailing from refundable to non-refundable in order to get the sales benefits. It was a personal decision and I did love the benefits I received on that cruise. I always book year or more ahead and then watch prices. Predominately I prefer the refundable deposits unless tempted by some nice goodies.

Summer on Sale promotion?

It’s been my experience that promotions well in advance of sailing routinely have $100 refundable deposits.

Promotions closer to sailing can have a non-refundable deposit and for the Summer on Sale promotion it’s Deposit of 10% of cruise fare per guest for bookings made under Summer on Sale is non-refundable“.

I booked a non-refundable under this promo.

It's for Alaska (which I've booked 3 times previously and DH always decides to cancel because it might be cold ;p ).

This time, the price was really good and DH agreed to it, so now we'll go because he won't want to lose $200.:evilsmile::')

I booked a non-refundable under this promo.

It's for Alaska (which I've booked 3 times previously and DH always decides to cancel because it might be cold ;p ).

This time, the price was really good and DH agreed to it, so now we'll go because he won't want to lose $200.:evilsmile::')

I can go with that logic.....LOL

We were told on a Princess cruise by the sales rep that Princess were trying to stop the refundable deposit in the US because it was common for US citizens to book numerous cruises so as to guarantee the best cabins with no intention of going on them all and cancelling at the later stage as possible leaving the cruise line with available cabins. In the UK from the minute we book the deposit is non refundable and we lose it if cancelling unless we can claim back of insurance if cancelled for a valid reason.

We booked non-refundable once and had to cancel, but it was only $1 deposit. :)

We did that once before adding a $100 FCD deposit for OBC and we didn’t lose the $1 resulting in a $101 deposit. ;)

What ‘majortom10’ posted makes sense to me & it’s even worse with the $1 deposit offered on one day a couple of times per year. However it’s contradictory for Princess to be concerned about bookings being canceled & then to offer $1 deposits which encourages making soft bookings that are more likely to be canceled. Every time it’s offered there are posts from passengers who don’t plan to sail a cruise but for a $1 deposit will make a reservation just in case.

Our only $1 deposit was made to secure our preferred cabin until purchasing another $100 FCD to add to our reservation.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Blast from the Past......at one time you only needed one FCC deposit to get OBC for 2 pax occupying a cabin. Also the OBC was more $$ than today and you could apply a recently purchased FCC it to an already deposited cruise. I did this very thing for a booking on the Tahitian Princess back in 2005. Back then it was $100 per person OBC for a balcony cabin.

We did that once before adding a $100 FCD deposit for OBC and we didn’t lose the $1 resulting in a $101 deposit. ;)

What ‘majortom10’ posted makes sense to me & it’s even worse with the $1 deposit offered on one day a couple of times per year. However it’s contradictory for Princess to be concerned about bookings being canceled & then to offer $1 deposits which encourages making soft bookings that are more likely to be canceled. Every time it’s offered there are posts from passengers who don’t plan to sail a cruise but for a $1 deposit will make a reservation just in case.

Our only $1 deposit was made to secure our preferred cabin until purchasing another $100 FCD to add to our reservation.

So are you saying you can add the FCC after you have made a deposit..and get OBC?

The $1 deposit drives the pricing up and that is what Princess wants.........very few people look back once booked.

Edited by land lover

So are you saying you can add the FCC after you have made a deposit...?

That’s what my TA got Princess to do for us...added a FCD about 18 months before the cruise after previously booking as a $1 deposit cruise. Despite reading on this forum that wasn’t possible, my TA got our FCD added to get the OBC.

We had misjudged the number of FCDs (3) we needed in our account so we booked the $1 deposit deal. We purchased more FCDs during a cruise a couple of months later to hopefully be added to our existing $1 deposit booking.

Not saying this is routinely done but our great TA worked with Princess to thankfully have our FCD added to get the OBC.

But this drives the pricing up and that is what Princess wants.........very few people look back once booked.

I agree...being able to say that bookings are up is their justification for higher prices due to increased bookings. That may also result in higher stock prices but don’t know if that’s based on an illusion or not.

Princess will never disclose the percentage of those $1 deposit bookings who actually sail so all we can do is guess. Whenever the $1 deposits are offered there are many posts stating they’re willing to risk $1 on multiple cruises even though they’re unlikely to sail.

I’ve been told that cabin reservations on average are turned over several times before sailing so there are many people who do look back once booked but I’m not one of them. ;)

Edited by Astro Flyer

I agree...being able to say that bookings are up is their justification for higher prices due to increased bookings. That may also result in higher stock prices but don’t know if that’s based on an illusion or not.

Princess will never disclose the percentage of those $1 deposit bookings who actually sail so all we can do is guess. Whenever the $1 deposits are offered there are many posts stating they’re willing to risk $1 on multiple cruises even though they’re unlikely to sail.

I’ve been told that cabin reservations on average are turned over several times before sailing so there are many people who do look back once booked but I’m not one of them. ;)

Interesting about the FCC....TAs have been known to work miracles...maybe once, will it happen again...?;) I have asked more than once and have been told both by my TA & Princess no go....Did u get a new booking Number?

Interesting about the FCC....TAs have been known to work miracles...maybe once, will it happen again...?;) I have asked more than once and have been told both by my TA & Princess no go....Did u get a new booking Number?

Same booking number but as you wrote it’s nothing anyone should consider as routine.

Sometimes a good TA working with a good Princess rep can help with a situation. By misjudging the number of FCDs we needed, I wasn’t expecting our FCDs to be added & I’m thankful that by working together they allowed us to use them. :)

I don’t know if this is a Princess policy change or not but it’s more likely a one-time dispensation for our mistake.

My understanding is you still have the option to book the cruise with a refundable deposit.....pricing might be different, and certainly reg. deposit would be, but you do not have to book under a current promo.

I just booked two cruises last night by phone. The price given for the second leg was about $500 more than I had seen online (Princess website) When I told them the fare I had seen they looked again and found the price, but said that was the special offer price for returning passengers (we are) and had a non-refundable deposit. Since I am sure we are taking this trip, I accepted the lower fare and non-refundable deposit.

We are in Australia and a friend of ours booked for us through Princess Cruises UK and we decided that it would be better to book through the Australian Princess cruises, they wouldn;t give us our deposit so we lost $1600 but luckily the saving booking though the Australian princess cruises saved us $1900 so we were $300 in front and also the Australian Princess cruises don't have the non refundable deposit.

• 4 months later...

If you purchased the Princess insurance with cancel for any reason, would that cover your nonrefundable deposit? Might be a reason to pay for it a booking time - if the insurance is less than the deposit and if you are ok with a cruise credit.

We got a incredible price for the 15 night Hawaii Dec 4 ,2019 cruise in a balcony cabin . The deposit is non refundable ;but ,we insured the cruise .:D

The savings vs normal prices is $1700:p .Our deposit was $384 ..We are retired & can drive to the port ;which is in San Pedro Ca (near to LA )

We felt it was worth our while ;as we are sure that as the ship fills the prices will go up .

We also have the 100 shares of CCL stock for the $250 obc & our TA gave us a extra obc as well :p