Old Baked Alaska Parade Song

Hi there,

Years ago, before Celebrity Select dining and a plethora of specialty restaurants, the MDR staff used to perform a baked Alaska parade on the final formal night of each cruise. During which, an instrumental song would be played. I've been trying to find that song for ages. Anyone here know the name of the song?

Cheers,

Morgan

I remember so well- Auld Lang Syne- which was a wonderful ending to a cruise. Gone..... as so much is gone from X that made it X- tra! As loyal a customer as I was- I had to pack my stuff and move to Cunard. However I have wonderful memory´s of my cruises with X.

X was a great line once- a real premium line. Sadly they tried ( very sucessfull so it seems ) to attract a different bunch of people. I come back though for trying the new " Edge" - the Elite plus perks are also something not to bee missed. LOL!

Around 2005 and a few years after - when the Celebrity ships still had a small live orchestra performing at formal dinners - they played an instrumental version of "When The Saints Go Marching In" during the Baked Alaska parade and spinning white napkins. Then followed by "Auld Lang Syne", sung by the whole dining room. It gave us goosebumps every time.

How funny, I absolutely hated the "auld lang syne" and napkins waving and parade of dessert. We started to eat in specialties after a couple times of that, it just was too cheesy and silly IMHO. I didn't find it special or anything other than pointless. We mostly eat in Blu and Luminae, but a couple cruises ago we were at the captain's table on the last night and they were doing the napkin waving. I was seated to the right of the captain and he stood up and waved the napkin and was cheering. I felt obligated to wave too, but it was definitely NOT the highlight of the evening. Don't get me wrong, I love fun and party, but napkin waving, nah.

I remember so well- Auld Lang Syne- which was a wonderful ending to a cruise. Gone..... as so much is gone from X that made it X- tra! As loyal a customer as I was- I had to pack my stuff and move to Cunard. However I have wonderful memory´s of my cruises with X.

X was a great line once- a real premium line. Sadly they tried ( very sucessfull so it seems ) to attract a different bunch of people. I come back though for trying the new " Edge" - the Elite plus perks are also something not to bee missed. LOL!

Was that when Chandris still owned the line or after the sale? I believe you may be able to ascertain definite style changes. The transition during the contracted exit period between Chandris and RCL. I feel the final disembarkation from Chandris style occurred a few years ago or so when those transition provisions expired.

Around 2005 and a few years after - when the Celebrity ships still had a small live orchestra performing at formal dinners - they played an instrumental version of "When The Saints Go Marching In" during the Baked Alaska parade and spinning white napkins. Then followed by "Auld Lang Syne"' date=' sung by the whole dining room. It gave us goosebumps every time.[/quote']

This is what I remember from our first few Celebrity cruises, but without the goosebumps, I'm afraid. We started avoiding the final formal night, and have only recently started attending again, now that we feel safe that there will not be a parade, or singing, or napkin twirling. :D

This is what I remember from our first few Celebrity cruises, but without the goosebumps, I'm afraid. We started avoiding the final formal night, and have only recently started attending again, now that we feel safe that there will not be a parade, or singing, or napkin twirling. :D

To be honest, the goosebumps I was writing about was during the first cruises we did, since we never encountered this before, so it was special. After a few times we got a bit used to it, since we knew what was going to happen. So we don't miss it now, since times are changing and we change along. It's like doing a first cruise, a first Transatlantic, first time on a brand new ship... every first time is always special, or at least so it should be. ;)

I did a lot of cruising in the 90's, early 2000's before children. I loved the Baked Alaska parade and music. Makes me a little sad to know it's gone and my kids won't see it. Things do change.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I remember "When the Saints Go Marching in" and "Auld Lang Syne". I am one of the sappy ones who got goosebumps every time. We used to cruise with our elderly relatives (DH's mom and her two sisters) and from one cruise to the next we never knew if it would be our last together as a family. One day that became true and they are not all with us anymore. Corny as it was, it is now a very nice memory of those great cruises.

Count me in....we really hated the parade and napkin waving on other lines to the point that we would order room service on last formal night just to avoid it. Cheesy about sums it up! YMMV though and to each their own.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

How funny, I absolutely hated the "auld lang syne" and napkins waving and parade of dessert. We started to eat in specialties after a couple times of that, it just was too cheesy and silly IMHO. I didn't find it special or anything other than pointless. We mostly eat in Blu and Luminae, but a couple cruises ago we were at the captain's table on the last night and they were doing the napkin waving. I was seated to the right of the captain and he stood up and waved the napkin and was cheering. I felt obligated to wave too, but it was definitely NOT the highlight of the evening. Don't get me wrong, I love fun and party, but napkin waving, nah.

Yeah, nothing like dirty stuff from some sloppy eater getting flung all around during the song..Ewww!

I recall one time one of the sommelier's sang 'o solo mio'. He sounded like Pavarotti.

I miss those days of the march around the dining room and everyone getting into it, waving napkins. Made eating in the MDR something special. Now people wear clothes that looked like they just cleaned the garage on hot summer day. It's like eating at Waffle House.

Count me in....we really hated the parade and napkin waving on other lines to the point that we would order room service on last formal night just to avoid it. Cheesy about sums it up! YMMV though and to each their own.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Me too. I just don't get it. You have a room full of supposedly classy people dressed to the nines start to act like a bunch of kindergarteners. I cringe every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So am I correct in thinking X no longer does this? I hate it and think it is demeaning to the staff. RCI stopped a couple of years ago briefly, but then started again. We usually eat in the buffet, partly just to miss this "parade".

So am I correct in thinking X no longer does this? I hate it and think it is demeaning to the staff. RCI stopped a couple of years ago briefly, but then started again. We usually eat in the buffet, partly just to miss this "parade".

They stopped doing it on our Jan. trip this year on the Eclipse. Our water said it interfered in getting diners out in time to set the room up for the next seating. It was "cute" the first few times. Now I'm way over it.

I am also one " with the goose bumps- lol- which I am happy to admit! I never sailed X when it was still owned by Chandris- I started when the Millenium Class ships started to come out! Millenium was my first X- ship and I have so many wonderful memory´s. Ah the Olympic alone- always something special- as stepping back in time.. ! The " end" to say it a bit dramaticly came for us when the Solstice Class came out- and bit by bit- they X-tra of X started to dissapear!