What's the crowd like?

Desinico

This will be my first time cruising on princess. I booked under the 1$ sale a few months ago without looking at the ship itself. Will be going on the Crown princess during spring break on a 5 day to grand Turk and dr. It is a special gift for my mom and want her to get into cruising, so I'm hoping she will go with me on another cruise. This will be her first and my 3rd. The things I've heard regarding the line is that it's mainly geared to a more "mature" crowd [emoji15]. I have been on carnival and just got off the Oasis of the seas. So I'm not sure what to expect. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Spring Break: Plenty of partying younger folks. Plenty of kids. Plenty of classic Princess passengers (65+). 5 really really drunk people. 18 really nice and enjoyable people. 8 people smoking on their balcony. 4 super slow pocks that you always seem to get caught walking behind. 2 people who will need your assistance in some way or another. 22 people that you will observe licking their fingers in the buffet.

You also find 4 cruise cards, two purses, three cellphones, and 3 stuffed animals during the cruise.

Enjoy.

A 5-day cruise during Spring break will be a younger crowd. It won't be Carnival... more sedate and more like Royal Caribbean.

Quieter... no PA announcements in the cabins (except in an emergency or announcement that affects all passengers); you can go directly to your cabin after boarding so no need for "Faster to the Fun"; no R-rated shows, etc.

We were on the Crown this year's March/April Caribbean sailing. Nothing out of the ordinary as there were not many kids.There were young adults, yet the atmosphere remained relax. Good food, nice entertainment and great staff. The line/ship could be to your mom's liking.

Spring Break: Plenty of partying younger folks. Plenty of kids. Plenty of classic Princess passengers (65+). 5 really really drunk people. 18 really nice and enjoyable people. 8 people smoking on their balcony. 4 super slow pocks that you always seem to get caught walking behind. 2 people who will need your assistance in some way or another. 22 people that you will observe licking their fingers in the buffet.

You also find 4 cruise cards, two purses, three cellphones, and 3 stuffed animals during the cruise.

Enjoy.

Great answer [emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Enjoy.

And a partridge in a pair tree?[emoji3]

The crowd itself will probably be anything but a typical Princess demographic. For the most part, the 55-80 crowd will just pass on a 5-day spring break cruise and look for something else. I would guess you'll see more young people, families and first-time cruisers than usual.

You will have the more sedate furnishings, color schemes and entertainment as compared to Carnival and Royal Caribbean. And I think your mom will enjoy some of the niceties like having your cabin ready when you board and having a civilized lunch in the dining room if you can board before 1:30.

Jim

Princess usually has the oldest people sailing but since you picked a 5 day cruise in March, be prepared for lots of younger kids. Maybe not as many a RCL or Carnival but enough to be annoying at times.

What about HAL.....:confused:

The crowd itself will probably be anything but a typical Princess demographic. For the most part, the 55-80 crowd will just pass on a 5-day spring break cruise and look for something else. I would guess you'll see more young people, families and first-time cruisers than usual.

You will have the more sedate furnishings, color schemes and entertainment as compared to Carnival and Royal Caribbean. And I think your mom will enjoy some of the niceties like having your cabin ready when you board and having a civilized lunch in the dining room if you can board before 1:30.

Jim

I totally agree with your assessment.....:):):)

Bob

Jim

You're probably right about the typical older Princess cruiser passing it up for a different date. Unless they gave people a super special incentive to sail at that time, you'll fine only school teachers, students and parents who have no other choice because they kids are off school.

What about HAL.....:confused:

Bob

From a posting a while ago by Bruce Muzz(??) he mentioned that Princess has an older demographic then HAL by a few years difference. It's probably hard to distinguish by just viewing any individual crowd but his statistics come from his position which oversee many cruise lines.

Either way I do tend to agree with his statement.

Did a B2B on the Ruby (one 4 day and one 5 day because it was sold as a 9 day cruise) a couple of years ago during spring break. A lot of college types on both legs and they were pretty rowdy and loud. Still enjoyed the cruise but it felt a little like a Carnival cruise. We will avoid spring break short cruises in the future. YMMV

I took my mom on the Crown in March 2017 to Amber Cove in D.R. and to Grand Turk. It was during spring break also. It was her first cruise. there was a mix of passengers. As others have suggested the 5 day cruise brought more first timers and some younger cruisers but overall it was a mature group. I would suggest booking the Sanctuary if you get the chance. It is a higher level of service and a more relaxed environment compared to the open decks around the pool. For my Mom it made a great option because she does have a few mobility issues and she was well taken care of there. Both ports offered easy excursions for folks who wanted minimal difficulties. My mom especially enjoyed the International Café during the day with the Piazza performance schedule and the Crooners lounge at night. She also really enjoyed the jewelry store but that is a different matter... In all I think 5 days on the Crown will be a great introduction to cruising for your mom!

We sailed on a lot of Princess cruises when DH taught at a community college. Spring break was one of our windows of opportunity. We did not find Princess have too many old folks during his spring break (around the third week of March). There weren't too many out of control young adults either. (We did a Carnival cruise out of Charleston during one spring break that did have too many of them.)

Princess usually has the oldest people sailing but since you picked a 5 day cruise in March, be prepared for lots of younger kids. Maybe not as many a RCL or Carnival but enough to be annoying at times.

If you think Princess is 'old' try HAL. At 70 we felt like the young crowd. Longer cruises will trend older, shorter, especially spring break, younger; but not as young as Carnival or RCI

Thanks everyone for your responses. I just want my mom to have a good time. The price was right with this cruise and timing. So will stick with it. Thanks again!