If it’s raining for an excursion...

palaemon

I have cancelled before on the morning of, went down to customer service and told them at the desk, i believe then they call the excursion desk people...told them my wife was sea sick and couldn't go onshore...........Credit was issued by noon the same day.

Jimbo:)

I have cancelled before on the morning of, went down to customer service and told them at the desk, i believe then they call the excursion desk people...told them my wife was sea sick and couldn't go onshore...........Credit was issued by noon the same day.

That is a great outcome for you, but no one should count on this happening to them. Excursions desk people have some discretion, but the answer could be "No, it's less than 48 hours. No refunds."

The basic answer to the original question is "You get wet."

It rained like crazy on us while we were on a catamaran in Roatan. We continued to the snorkeling spot and by the time we got there, the sun was out, rain gone, sky blue and it was honestly the best snorkeling excursion ever. Everyone had a great time. They seldom cancel just for rain, but it rains and then the sun comes out. Rained like crazy when we went on a whale watch in Maui. Lasted a few minutes and the sun came out. In Cozumel, there have been times when we would have welcomed a good hard rain to cool it down. I always carry a rain poncho from the Dollar Store. It's my "rain insurance."

My mother, sister and I went on a catamaran cruise in Bermuda. It started drizzling as we set out, then quickly turned to a downpour. A crewmember brought out a guitar and we spent the cruise singing along with everyone and had a great time. You just never know how things can turn out.

On one excursion in Belize, it rained double buckets all day. It was awful! Open deck boat excursion, no place to hide, with only a small amount of the time snorkeling. No refunds, no discounts.

One a different occasion in Bonaire, they canceled our "Pirate boat" cruise on their own when it was raining...we were refunded on our sea pass card that same morning. Guess the crew on the boat did not want to operate in the bad weather. Smart call.

It rained like crazy on us while we were on a catamaran in Roatan. We continued to the snorkeling spot and by the time we got there, the sun was out, rain gone, sky blue and it was honestly the best snorkeling excursion ever. Everyone had a great time. They seldom cancel just for rain, but it rains and then the sun comes out. Rained like crazy when we went on a whale watch in Maui. Lasted a few minutes and the sun came out. In Cozumel, there have been times when we would have welcomed a good hard rain to cool it down. I always carry a rain poncho from the Dollar Store. It's my "rain insurance."

Neat fact about Roatan very few cruisers know about as far as snorkeling goes it is by far one of the best places in the world to snorkel. Really better then any of the other caribbean islands. The reefs are just unbelievable there. It's a shame not more cruise ships go there.....but then again that is what maybe makes it special.

Take a look at this video and enjoy.

We were offered a refund for light rain for our excursion in Roatan, which we declined, and had a great time.

The next day in Costa Maya it was down pouring and was not supposed to stop all day. We had a beach day planned, and they let us cancel and get a refund. We didn’t even have to go back on the ship, there was a contact from the excursion deck out there who took our info and our tickets and took care of it for us.

The only excursion we have had cancelled and refunded was a helicopter to the glacier field in Juneau due to the winds.

That is the one excursion I wanted to do as the time before in Alaska we couldn’t afford it.

Other non ship run excursions were flying but on that one i would rather be safe than sorry!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How do they handle that?

Is it cancelled/refunded? not necessarily.

It’s it rain or shine? unless conditions are unsafe, yes

We’re cruising Honduras, Costa Maya and Cozumel next week on the LOS.

This might be a non-issue, but it’s got me wondering.

no refund if you choose to not go just because you don't like the weather. you are only refunded if the tour operator cancels the excursion. or, in the case of a tender port, the ship skips the port due to unsafe conditions for tendering.

We once had to cancel an excursion 24 hours before and we were refunded only because they had a waiting list for that excursion. Otherwise, cancellation had to be made 48 hours in advance. We've also been on excursions when it rained like crazy and there was no cancellation.

We had a trolley tour once out of Boston. It POURED. Glad to be in the trolley and out of the rain, but I swear you could really not see anything out the windows do to the fog on them. Wiping them down lasted a minute. That was certainly a wasted tour. Glad we didn't pay a lot of money for it.

How do they handle that?

Is it cancelled/refunded?

Maybe, depends, what excursion? If it is raining, and it is in the tropics, it will stop. If you are swimming, you are already wet. If you are doing an ATV, than you will have more fun getting muddy.

It’s it rain or shine?

Raincoat or umbrella, chose one to bring with you. If sunny, bring sunscreen

We’re cruising Honduras, Costa Maya and Cozumel next week on the LOS.

This might be a non-issue, but it’s got me wondering.

Things only get cancelled for safety reasons. Rain itself is not an issue. It also depends on the excursion.

We rode the Twister boat in Cozumel in a torrential downpour and it was like being shot with rubber bullets! OUCH! Got to our beach destination and sat under a palapa watching it rain while drinking margaritas starting at about 10am. Left early, took the Twister back and then the sun came out. It was fun anyhow. Also go poured on in Curacao on a walking tour. They just carry on like nothing is happening. Plastic throw away ponchos are good to have with you in case your excursion gets rained on. Too bad I put mine on AFTER it started pouring. Duh.

I truly think it depends on the type of excursion. I have some examples of things I've experienced over the years.

1) Excursion CANCELLED (and refunded in full the next day) due to rain - this was a Harley tour of the island, but they determined it was too dangerous to ride Harleys in the rain.

2) Excursion NOT CANCELLED, but REFUND OFFERED if guests decided not to go due to rain - this was a bus tour of the island and they were experiencing flooding. An announcement was made that if we chose NOT to get off the ship and go on the excursion, then we could get a voucher to take to guest services and get a refund......BUT.....if we chose to get off the ship, then there was no turning back and we couldn't get a refund. We decided to take the excursion anyway and make the best of it! We even got out at all the stops, although we were the only 2 on the bus to make that decision. We ended up having a BLAST (totally soaked - no rain hats, ponchos, or umbrellas).

3) Excursion PARTIALLY REFUNDED - this was another bus tour of an island and it was storming really bad, so the bus was unable to go to most of the scheduled stops. Apparently someone complained and they ended up issuing a partial refund to everyone on the excursion. We received a letter in our room the following day explaining why we were going to see a credit show up on our account.

Caribbean islands can be fickle when it comes to rain as well. Even on the smallest island some spots may get a downpour, then other parts may be completely dry. When we were in Roatan, the beach tours dealt with a rainstorm all day, while those of us doing mountain zip lining never saw a drop! Unless it's deemed unsafe, most tours will just go. Up to you to make the best of it!

Our beach break and snorkel excursion did not get cancelled in Aruba because of intermittent rain. The excursion was going rain or shine. We snorkeled in the rain and when we weren't snorkeling we sat on our beach chairs under an umbrella whenever it started to drizzle. It was like this for four hours.

In December while on the Navigator we were at guest service and the man next to us was looking to cancel an excursion for his whole family of six because they were taking his wife to the ER. GS staff told him his wife and the person going with his wife to the ER can get a refund the rest of the family either goes on the excursion or losses their money. I think the other guest were all adults.

In Roatan on the cruise I just took, it was raining as we got off the ship. People were all discombobulated, lining up to get rain ponchos being handed out. We didn't care, so long as it's not cold, rain doesn't bother us.

The funny thing being, the first half of our cruise was an ATV thing. It started raining again while we were ATV'ing which everyone thought was great especially the tour operators cause they thought the muddier we got, the better it was.

Second half of our tour was to a beach and the rain cleared, the sun came out and it was quite pleasant.

Our excursion in Costa Maya got cancelled,not because of rain but because of choppy seas.

We were in Curacao in 2010 and it poured buckets. They probably got their total annual rainfall in that one day. We tried to call our independent excursion people to tell them we weren't getting off the ship forgetting that neither me or my now ex had international calling! OOPS! Didn't matter though - all the ships excursions similar to ours (Open Air Jeep tour) were being cancelled left and right. We figured we'd just eat the cost of the excursion, but by the time we got back to Puerto Rico, we had received a refund on our credit card.

It rained most of the time we were in port. Ironically, about 2 hours before we left port, the sun came out. Oh well, guess I'll have to take another cruise that includes Curacao.