Received 1st ever upgrade to balcony! Turned it down

jordanaire

My wife and I have never stayed in a balcony cabin during our previous 22 cruise and always wanted an upgrade to one. Well, our wish came true on April 3rd! Unfortunately, the deal wasn't so good and the timing couldn't have been any worse.

We had just checked in at the terminal for our Sunshine cruise when my cellphone rang. I didn't recognize the number and just about didn't answer it. But I did and it was from Carnival. They were calling to offer us an upgrade from an inside cabin to a balcony! I asked her how much and she said "only $350". I told her that we had already checked in and that the price was too high. She wouldn't even tell me where the balcony cabin was. I was afraid that our luggage would be lost for a while too. So we turned down the offer. Sure hope it won't be the last upgrade we are ever offered.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Forums mobile app

We gave had the same scenario happen the morning of the cruise while waiting at the hotel for our shuttle. Agree didn’t want to mess up all of our documents, luggage tags and etc. We usually handpick our cabin so I doubt it could have been that much better at that point. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I got the up sell email also. My cruise is still 5 months out but they wanted $314 to move up one floor and to the back of the ship under the pizza place. I turned it down because of both price and location.

We had just checked in at the terminal for our Sunshine cruise when my cellphone rang. I didn't recognize the number and just about didn't answer it. But I did and it was from Carnival. They were calling to offer us an upgrade from an inside cabin to a balcony! I asked her how much and she said "only $350". I told her that we had already checked in and that the price was too high. She wouldn't even tell me where the balcony cabin was. I was afraid that our luggage would be lost for a while too. So we turned down the offer. Sure hope it won't be the last upgrade we are ever offered.

I suspect this goes to show that unlike what we read here the ships do not always sail full. I wouldn't have taken the offer either but before saying no I would have asked them what would become of our interior cabin if we moved to the balcony :)

thats not a upgrade, thats called a upsell. someone cancelled. $350, whew, nope.

they tried to upsell me too my last cruise, also had no trouble turning it down. if i wanted to pay that much extra id have booked it in the first place.

I wonder if it is possible to make a counter offer.

ive tried and so have others.

usually the person calling isnt a supervisor and says they have to check with their supervisor and call you back... by the time you are boarding, .....

too little too late

"Balconies" go to the same places as "insides". The food is the same, the entertainment is the same....and unless it's a really warm weather cruise, you probably won't get $350 worth of use.

You did the right thing.

I agree that the price didn't seem all that attractive, and without knowing the location I would also have hesitated to take the bait.

However, and this is I'm sure a never ending debate with no "right" answer -- but I disagree with you about the value of a balcony. It is almost an essential feature for me. I LOVE sitting on my balcony and sipping a glass of wine in the evening. As a night owl, I often sit out there very late at night just enjoying the sound of the ocean. Once during an overnight stop, I enjoyed watching late night fishermen congregating around our ship and taking advantage of the ship lights. I like waking up in the morning, pulling open the curtains and seeing what new wonderful sight awaits us in whatever port of call we have alighted in. I like having room service breakfast on the balcony in my pajamas. In Alaska, we put on our coats and gloves and sat out there enjoying the glacier view.

It is absolutely worth the investment for me. But to each his own. I hope Jordanaire will get a great deal and be able to enjoy a balcony one of these days. But with 22 cruises under their belts, I have a feeling he has this cruising business figured out and knows what works for him and his wife. :D

We dont worry about getting an upgrade/or upsell to a balcony, we start with a balcony when we book. Totally worth it for us and we use it (go figure!)....;p

It is the quietest and most relaxing place on the ship! The sunrises/sunsets are excellent and beverages taste extra wonderful (coffee or a little something extra) on that balcony for some reason lol. Our little piece of outdoor real estate for the week, sigh.....

As to this OP.....he's been on 22 cruises w/o a balcony. Obviously he doesn't need one.

I prefer a balcony...IF the price is right...and "the anticipated weather". I wouldn't get one going to Canada; I wouldn't get one sailing out of NYC in the winter.

"Balconies" go to the same places as "insides". The food is the same, the entertainment is the same....and unless it's a really warm weather cruise, you probably won't get $350 worth of use.

You did the right thing.

I also agree. On my first cruise, I was told by everyone that I HAD to get a balcony. So we got it, and it was enjoyable. Didn't use it much though. The second trip, we decided to save hundreds, and try an interior. Never once missed the balcony.

I get the draw. If you are person who wants privacy, it can be very relaxing. I don't like staying in the room though. There are also plenty of spots on the cruise to see the water. Personally, I'd rather buy a second cruise with that money.

We had this debate for our November cruise on Glory...it came down to my husband feeling too claustrophobic in an inside. And I do enjoy the peace and quiet with sitting outside, watching the ocean, and spend more time in the cabin when it's a balcony. But, I also like the pitch black of an inside and spend more time strolling around the ship when I'm in an inside.

When you're cruising, I don't think you can go wrong!

I suspect this goes to show that unlike what we read here the ships do not always sail full. I wouldn't have taken the offer either but before saying no I would have asked them what would become of our interior cabin if we moved to the balcony :)

Help me understand why it matters what they do with the cabin you will not be using?

thats not a upgrade, thats called a upsell. someone cancelled. $350, whew, nope.

they tried to upsell me too my last cruise, also had no trouble turning it down. if i wanted to pay that much extra id have booked it in the first place.

Exactly.

It would be hard to make a factual statement that ALL ships sail full. I am SURE some sailings do not.

And, even if a ship sailed full, it wouldn't mean every cabin was occupied. Full depends on spaces in lifeboats.

Spaces in lifeboats < maximum cabin occupancy.

So, number of empty cabins partially depends on how full the individual cabins are.

And, they'd rather have 5 empty interior cabins than 5 empty balcony cabins. Same cost to Carnival either way, but more revenue if it's the interiors that sit empty.

And' date=' even if a ship sailed full, it wouldn't mean every cabin was occupied. Full depends on spaces in lifeboats.

Spaces in lifeboats < maximum cabin occupancy.

So, number of empty cabins partially depends on how full the individual cabins are.

And, they'd rather have 5 empty interior cabins than 5 empty balcony cabins. Same cost to Carnival either way, but more revenue if it's the interiors that sit empty.[/quote']

Correct to both of you. I'm saying the same thing because you will read many times on Cruise Critic that ALL ships sail FULL. It's bunk.