Embarkation in Puerto Rico - What a mess

Embarkation

We recently sailed on the Adventure of the Seas out ofPuerto Rico. Had a great time on theship but was very disappointed at the process to get on the ship.

We stayed overnight at a hotel on Friday night and took ataxi to the port around 11:00am. When wegot there we were told to stand in a long line with our luggage (not thecarry-on). Now having been on many RCCL cruises in thepast, luggage is always taken as soon as you arrive by the porters. Everyone was very confused by what washappening, no good signage anywhere, and not real definitive “line”. Also there were no RCCL representativesaround to help out, only the porters. Theline was facing the port check in. We waited about 20 minutes and then they reversedthe line away from the port check to the other end.

This must be a common occurrence because now there arevendors selling water and Italian ice.

Now remember more people are getting dropped off as we waitwith no direction. They start takingbags at the back but by this time there are two lines trying to merge intoone. Another 30 minutes waiting in thatline to give them our luggage.

Finally complete weenter the port, go through the metal detector, and get our sea pass cards.

I hate to say this as I love the itinerary, it will be along time before I sail out of Puerto Rico again.

We also just sailed on the Adventure out of Puerto Rico and arrived around 10:45. The lines were long and the place was a mess. We talked to a porter who said that he can't take the luggage yet but if we gave him $20 he would do it. It was the best $20 we spent all week. We had 7 pieces of luggage. We walked right to the front of the line.We were one of the first ones on the ship.

Puerto Rico is going through a lot right now with the impact of the hurricane and power outages across the island.

Exactly. We've sailed from PR before and it's been very smooth. I'm sure a lot of things have become more difficult recently,as they have experienced not one but two major power outages in the past couple of weeks. I've never had an experience as bad as we had when disembarking from Galveston last summer. I heard from many others that didn't experience the massive delays standing in a line in sweltering heat and a massive transportation snafu they were having on our particular cruise. Everyone trying to leave from Galveston on our cruise was complaining. I'm sure this didn't happen with every disembarkation in Galveston or no one would ever sail from Galveston again, and it probably doesn't happen with every embarkation in PR. Sorry you experienced a bad start to your cruise.

Some things I Hate in life. 1. airports and 2. Ports. Those two items are gateways to vacation. They are also the last item you deal with. Sometimes the experience is great. Other times the experience is memorable in a negative way. However, the port, or airport, should no way influence your vacation. If it does, than you might as well stay home.

IMHO, it's really helpful to pack light enough to carry on and off your own stuff. We also don't really value being first on, so plan on walking on board in the 1:15 time range, so that we can go straight to our cabin and unpack. Done. No worries about porters, no worries about late luggage, no worries about finding it after, etc etc.

Solves a lot of problems.

And it works just as well for airplanes.

Taking too much stuff is a pain.

When we sailed from San Juan there were 2 lines, one for dropping off luggage and one for going through security. Those “in the know” split up so that someone went straight to the security line and held the spot for the person who was in the other line to drop off luggage. That cut their wait time in half. I’ll be doing that next time.

I’ve sailed from Galveston and debarking was a slow, hour and a half long process. Combine that with the cost to get from the airport and back, I don’t plan to sail from there again, it’s just not worth the hassle for a cruise I could take from another port.

The San Juan disorganization/confusion wasn’t bad enough (to me) to write it off. In fact it’s my favorite place to cruise from (we’re going again this summer) because those itineraries go to the absolute best islands in the Caribbean.

I can understand your frustration though, because it is more disorganized than other ports because of the multiple lines, lack of signage and old port facilities. I can imagine it being worse if they were short on employees or other resources due to the power outages and hurricanes.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This must be a fairly new common occurrence and probably something to do with post-hurricane circumstances. I sailed in early 2017 out of San Juan and easily experienced the best, quickest, most-efficient boarding ever!

What I really like about cruise critic is the empathy displayed of some of it's members. NOT.

We cruised out of PR a few months ago. The people who live there have had to deal with more than I think I could. I'll put up with a few inconveniences. Maybe the few dollars I bring to the island will help get them back on their feet. I get to go home to power and water. They have to live through this.

I'm looking forward to my next trip to the island...we have 4 cruises booked out of there.

IMHO, it's really helpful to pack light enough to carry on and off your own stuff. We also don't really value being first on, so plan on walking on board in the 1:15 time range, so that we can go straight to our cabin and unpack. Done. No worries about porters, no worries about late luggage, no worries about finding it after, etc etc.

Solves a lot of problems.

And it works just as well for airplanes.

Taking too much stuff is a pain.

There is NO WAY I can pack for a 7 night cruise in 2 carryons. Just won't happen. I will deal with the port, etc before I try to squeeze a weeks worth of clothes into 2 carryons. Will never happen, I take way to much stuff to do that. On a 3/4 night I can do that, but never on a 7 night.

We also just sailed on the Adventure out of Puerto Rico and arrived around 10:45. The lines were long and the place was a mess. We talked to a porter who said that he can't take the luggage yet but if we gave him $20 he would do it. It was the best $20 we spent all week. We had 7 pieces of luggage. We walked right to the front of the line.We were one of the first ones on the ship.

well it just goes to show that money talks.

However in this case, I would be fine with it because the porter might need to makeup for lost money in the past.

I know that when I get to any port on a bus and they off load the luggage, ya go to give a buck so the porter will pick up the bags and put on the large carts.

Otherwise the luggage will sit for hours.

It is a sham in FL because those guys are Union and make good money. But hey in PR, I can understand and would not find fault.

One has to carry lots of dollars for all the darn tipping along the way. Geezzzzz

When we sailed from San Juan there were 2 lines, one for dropping off luggage and one for going through security. Those “in the know” split up so that someone went straight to the security line and held the spot for the person who was in the other line to drop off luggage. That cut their wait time in half. I’ll be doing that next time.

I’ve sailed from Galveston and debarking was a slow, hour and a half long process. Combine that with the cost to get from the airport and back, I don’t plan to sail from there again, it’s just not worth the hassle for a cruise I could take from another port.

The San Juan disorganization/confusion wasn’t bad enough (to me) to write it off. In fact it’s my favorite place to cruise from (we’re going again this summer) because those itineraries go to the absolute best islands in the Caribbean.

I can understand your frustration though, because it is more disorganized than other ports because of the multiple lines, lack of signage and old port facilities. I can imagine it being worse if they were short on employees or other resources due to the power outages and hurricanes.

Isn’t that more or less cutting the line to check in?

Isn’t that more or less cutting the line to check in?

I guess it depends. It’s a gray area, and depends on whether the person in the check-in line is in your same room or if they’re checking in to a separate room. If they’re in the same room then it shouldn’t change how long it takes to check in that person vs. checking in both of you.

If it takes longer for both of you, then I would say yes, it’s line cutting because the people behind you now have to wait in a longer line (time wise) once the other person jumps in.

If it takes the same amount of time, then no it isn’t line cutting because there’s no rule that says you have to wait in both lines. You only have to wait in the luggage line if you don’t want to carry your luggage on board with you. Having 2 people who can split up the jobs is more efficient and makes the whole embarking process faster for everyone I’d think.

Edited by ARandomTraveler

There is NO WAY I can pack for a 7 night cruise in 2 carryons. Just won't happen. I will deal with the port, etc before I try to squeeze a weeks worth of clothes into 2 carryons. Will never happen, I take way to much stuff to do that. On a 3/4 night I can do that, but never on a 7 night.

You would if you have to carry your own luggage!

So... the easiest way to address the congestion issues in San Juan is simply to...

not try and be the FIRST people on board

Got It! Our flight doesn't arrive until around noon so we figure the earliest we will be at the port would be after 1pm or 1:30 & it sounds like others arriving around that time just "cruised" right on board (pun intended).

I guess it depends. It’s a gray area, and depends on whether the person in the check-in line is in your same room or if they’re checking in to a separate room. If they’re in the same room then it shouldn’t change how long it takes to check in that person vs. checking in both of you.

If it takes longer for both of you, then I would say yes, it’s line cutting because the people behind you now have to wait in a longer line (time wise) once the other person jumps in.

If it takes the same amount of time, then no it isn’t line cutting because there’s no rule that says you have to wait in both lines. You only have to wait in the luggage line if you don’t want to carry your luggage on board with you. Having 2 people who can split up the jobs is more efficient and makes the whole embarking process faster for everyone I’d think.

Ok. Everyone does it then what’s the plan?

I still believe it’s line cutting.

We were on Labadee in line for lunch. There was one young lady in the line in front of us. As the line moved closer to the buffet, her friends started joining her in line. When we got to the buffet, one had grown to 8. Now get this, they also got their husbands/friends a meal too. So now it went to 16.

I just don’t think it’s polite to sneak into another persons spot in line. I don’t do it.

Saw this in Park Cafe on Allure. They had it set up for one line. First you pass by the salad bar and sandwiches, and then the famous roast beef sliders. Everyone was in the one line. Then this guy and his family decide to make another line at the sliders. That just created more chaos, now two lines. We said screw it and left.

People don’t appreciate those who cut lines.

So... the easiest way to address the congestion issues in San Juan is simply to...

not try and be the FIRST people on board

Got It! Our flight doesn't arrive until around noon so we figure the earliest we will be at the port would be after 1pm or 1:30 & it sounds like others arriving around that time just "cruised" right on board (pun intended).

Exactly! Sailed out of San Juan in 2016 and the boarding process(outside the terminal) was a complete mess. When the doors finally opened, the workers outside allowed those at the end of the one line to form another line giving them access to check in earlier than those who had arrived first. Very limited seating in the terminal as well. Getting at the terminal after 1, is the way to go.

We sailed out of San Juan in 2016 as well, we flew in the same morning and after having breakfast in Old San Juan, went to the port at 11:00. The whole process was very smooth, and by 11:30 am we were boarding.

We are sailing again this summer, since Freedom is a larger ship, I assume there will be more people checking in. Right now trying to decide if going to the port a bit earlier (10:30) or if waiting until 1:00 pm.

Btw, has anyone had a recent experience with CBP (notably immigration waiting times)? Some members of our group are arriving late at night and there is another international flights arriving around the same time, so wanted to know if things have improved or if it's still a long wait with very few CBP officers.

Ok. Everyone does it then what’s the plan?

I still believe it’s line cutting.

We were on Labadee in line for lunch. There was one young lady in the line in front of us. As the line moved closer to the buffet, her friends started joining her in line. When we got to the buffet, one had grown to 8. Now get this, they also got their husbands/friends a meal too. So now it went to 16.

I just don’t think it’s polite to sneak into another persons spot in line. I don’t do it.

Saw this in Park Cafe on Allure. They had it set up for one line. First you pass by the salad bar and sandwiches, and then the famous roast beef sliders. Everyone was in the one line. Then this guy and his family decide to make another line at the sliders. That just created more chaos, now two lines. We said screw it and left.

People don’t appreciate those who cut lines.

I agree with you, but I don’t think this is the same thing. One person is in line to turn in their paperwork for one room. Another person joins them in line later, but they’re still only turning in paperwork for one room. The line doesn’t take any longer than it was going to before.

In the case of the buffet, the line is taking longer because more people are getting plates of food. It’s not the same thing as checking in for one room. One room is one room, it doesn’t take any more time. One plate growing to 16 plates is going to take longer.

Besides that, with everyone standing in the luggage line for 30 minutes, then moving to the other line for 30 minutes, equals 60 minutes of waiting for everyone. But if two people split up and both wait in line for 30 minutes, the time to get everyone on the ship is cut in half. It seems like this would make it faster for everyone. But maybe I’m not thinking about it properly and my math is wrong. It seemed to work well for the people who did it when we were there and while I normally get mad at line cutters, it didn’t upset me because it seemed to make sense. I don’t know.

I agree with you, but I don’t think this is the same thing. One person is in line to turn in their paperwork for one room. Another person joins them in line later, but they’re still only turning in paperwork for one room. The line doesn’t take any longer than it was going to before.

In the case of the buffet, the line is taking longer because more people are getting plates of food. It’s not the same thing as checking in for one room. One room is one room, it doesn’t take any more time. One plate growing to 16 plates is going to take longer.

Besides that, with everyone standing in the luggage line for 30 minutes, then moving to the other line for 30 minutes, equals 60 minutes of waiting for everyone. But if two people split up and both wait in line for 30 minutes, the time to get everyone on the ship is cut in half. It seems like this would make it faster for everyone. But maybe I’m not thinking about it properly and my math is wrong. It seemed to work well for the people who did it when we were there and while I normally get mad at line cutters, it didn’t upset me because it seemed to make sense. I don’t know.

Makes complete sense to me...not "line cutting" at all.