Can they keep it?

**Please let me start by saying we are paying the automatic gratuities!!**

What I want to know is, if we choose to tip extra in cash to an above board attendent, do they get to keep it for themselves and what is typical per person or room type. There are 3 of us in an ocean view stateroom.

No [emoji897] allowed [emoji6][emoji41]

Sent from my XT1585 using Forums mobile app

I've heard both (they keep it/they have to share) so I'm not sure. Nonetheless I always give our stateroom attendant an extra $40-50 for a seven night cruise, a little more for a longer cruise, on top of the auto grats. It's always much appreciated.

I have only been on 2 other cruises. I though the service was exceptional both times so I gave them $20 at the end of the week. (And the automatic gratuities). Is that seen as a crappy tip? I may not be up to date on my tipping amounts!!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Forums mobile app

I have only been on 2 other cruises. I though the service was exceptional both times so I gave them $20 at the end of the week. (And the automatic gratuities). Is that seen as a crappy tip? I may not be up to date on my tipping amounts!!

Not at all, anything above the added daily amount is much appreciated.

I hope not. That is what we normally give.

It is a very appropriate and generous tip in addition to the auto grats.

It is very frustrating to see people on here boast about how much money they tip.

Should I say gloat?

It is a very appropriate and generous tip in addition to the auto grats.

It is very frustrating to see people on here boast about how much money they tip.

Should I say gloat?

No, you shouldn't. Most if not all of those posts are in response to someone ASKING how much people tip.

No, you shouldn't. Most if not all of those posts are in response to someone ASKING how much people tip.

You're right. I shouldn't have made it a question. It is without a doubt a statement ... they DO gloat. A LOT.

You can answer someone's question about how much to tip by simply saying "whatever you think/feel is appropriate". End of answer.

Since you asked, a “kicker” for exceptional service is $5-$10 per person in room per days of cruise (e.g., $5 x 2 people in room x 7 days of cruise = $70 to $140).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since you asked, a “kicker” for exceptional service is $5-$10 per person in room per days of cruise (e.g., $5 x 2 people in room x 7 days of cruise = $70 to $140).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In ADDITION to the auto gratuities? That is NUTS!

In ADDITION to the auto gratuities? That is NUTS!

Yeah, that's more than they are getting from the automatic gratuities. For that kind of extra tip, they would have needed to do something beyond exceptional.

Like hide a body.

I find it helpful to know what others give so these threads are really useful.

I am always rethinking what tips are ok. Currently my policy is to allow auto gratuity to cover all obligatory tips. Additional tips are given in appreciation of outstanding service at the end of the cruise. For a cabin steward, $10 to $20 for a 7 day cruise is my current policy. I don't feel obliged to give additional tips and none are given if the service was just ok.

I don't worry too much about whether they keep it or share it. That's up to them and the cruise company.

I agree.

I'm from the UK and prepay our tips and happily give $200 cash extra on a 7 night cruise.

The CS,speciality restaurant waiters and DL waiters are the main beneficiary's and i give to thank them for making our cruise special and for no other reason.

I also tipped $20 extra (I was a solo traveler, they only had to do the room 1 time a day, all I asked for was ice and I tried to keep the room tidy to keep the workload down) Your comment made me wonder the same thing,

I've heard both (they keep it/they have to share) so I'm not sure. Nonetheless I always give our stateroom attendant an extra $40-50 for a seven night cruise, a little more for a longer cruise, on top of the auto grats. It's always much appreciated.

I think I know what the confusion might be voyager70.

If they have an assistant they have to share that additional tip with them (only fair really! :halo:)

Cheers...

I agree.

I'm from the UK and prepay our tips and happily give $200 cash extra on a 7 night cruise.

The CS,speciality restaurant waiters and DL waiters are the main beneficiary's and i give to thank them for making our cruise special and for no other reason.

Is that per person or total?